• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Started a Biga Saturday morning and it went into a batch of pizza dough Saturday night.
Using the stretch and fold method. Dough was at 65% hydration.
Dough went immediately into the fridge for an overnight cold fermentation.
236191305_PepperonimushroomandolivesApril10th2022.thumb.jpg.9bae8cb72faa3574a369ddf38effeb74.jpg
Matt took it out of the fridge at 1:00 PM today and I made pizza for dinner.
1490160846_PepperonimushroomandolivesApril10th20222.thumb.jpg.7b4f4c12faa2a047a3c9907150e1ef35.jpg
Pepperoni, Mushrooms and Olives.
Heated the oven to 950°F at the back of the stone.
When the pizza was ready to slide in, I turned the burners down to as low as possible using the hack method.
My best attempt yet.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

12 hours ago, Honkman said:

Duck ragu with pasta

Yeah, that's a good one.

IMG_6516.thumb.jpeg.e1475699774558c339b4b5d0b87dab8a.jpeg

Made similar last night.  Usually served with bigoli, but I'm not the hugest fan of that type of pasta.  So here, casarecci (I threw a few Tumminia busiate in there just to make sure I don't like it as much) with duck ragu.

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Picked up a lovely daikon - perfect for Toisanese Savory Tong Yuen

287691820_SavoryTangYuen6934.jpg.8a84fd2b6a0be35b82a92f6b794827b6.jpg

Was making some Nor Mai Fan in Lotus leaf for friends, so that's what we had for supper, with stir-fried vegetables

190179980_NorMaiFanVeg6937.jpg.44de9f39f3cdc7ede775b75b28e12adb.jpg153818131_NorMaiFan6939.jpg.d8683c19fe161ffd11ef1e4060435513.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Heading out tomorrow night for a spontaneous, yet very much needed short break over the Easter weekend - „cleaning out the fridge sandwiches“: Tomato mozz & Jägertoast (ham, fried champignons & cheese) …

C34BB22F-75C9-4076-9230-F32F6DED974F.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Heading out tomorrow night for a spontaneous, yet very much needed short break over the Easter weekend - „cleaning out the fridge sandwiches“: Tomato mozz & Jägertoast (ham, fried champignons & cheese) …

C34BB22F-75C9-4076-9230-F32F6DED974F.jpeg

Ha! You just stuck your foot in Jaeger - get back to the Schnitzel topic and define it there ;) Happy vacation.

• Haha 1

Duvel – I’m with your young man – the best part of soup is the edible bowl!!  Also, the whole schnitzel meal was gorgeous, but that Scotch egg is calling my name!  That yolk is amazing.

On Saturday I tried out a recipe for mujadara from Aarti Sequeira on Food Network.  Lentils, caramelized red onion, rice, cinnamon, cumin, and hot sauce (a little):

IMG_8833.jpg.c8ef91ea5653a83fc390750340715ff5.jpg 

Served with some rosemary-beer bread (from a mix we got for Christmas) that looks a bit pallid, but was actually good:

IMG_8832.jpg.59ad69b6ee4dd5d0a8ec01c2ac0ad220.jpg 

And salad (of course😉😞

IMG_8831.jpg.9c52e4aee68b3b2d21652ec68a95f33f.jpg 

Mujadara is supposed to be a meatless main course, but I didn’t think Mr. Kim would appreciate that, so I roasted some chicken legs that I’d rubbed with Greek seasoning.  The mujadara is topped with lemon juice, some of the caramelized red onion, French fried onions (for crunch), toasted pine nuts, and plain yogurt:

IMG_8834.jpg.91a6460755ea2d602727395d01ff7a6f.jpg 

Not an attractive meal, but a good one.  I haven’t had mujadara in many years, so I’m not sure that I really know what it should be like, but I think that mine may have been a little too cohesive.  The flavors were excellent, but I am wondering if it should have been fluffier and the 3 ingredients – rice, lentils, and onion – more separate?  If anyone would like to chime in, I’d love that!  Thanks.

One more thing – for the chicken legs I used a recipe for Greek seasoning that I found online.  It contained oregano, basil, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  It was fine, but didn’t knock my socks off.  Does anyone have a recipe, or a brand, that they like a lot to recommend to me?

Sunday, being “Little Easter”, we got to eat at a restaurant.  The three of us had dinner at Bonefish Grill (we had a giftcard).  Apps – Jessica got the Corn/crab chowder:

IMG_8838.jpg.11a976c6a44aa6ce83ee57fa86864843.jpg 

Mr. Kim got beef and ginger dumplings:

IMG_8839.jpg.e3c3d29b9e3829b47f5f0d9bce355aa4.jpg 

And I got this giant hot creamy seafood dip:

IMG_8840.jpg.aaeac2859282592f71ff54c08bb95fb4.jpg 

Which would have been enough for all three of us.  It would have been better with some crusty bread rather than tortilla chips, but that’s quibbling – it was very good.  Jessica got the Bang-Bang Shrimp tacos:

IMG_8841.jpg.563be9a7d6e465d04da35ff2b7ea407a.jpg 

Mr. Kim got the blackened fish tacos:

IMG_8842.jpg.b51688e2aabc08dc205c3d49c0b84c5c.jpg 

Which didn’t look terribly blackened to me, but he said that they were good. 

I got the fried shrimp:

IMG_8843.thumb.jpg.29a3ba7c63cc324547a0735277cd4885.jpg 

The shrimp themselves were excellent – fat and juicy and perfectly cooked.  The coating wasn’t great – too thick and you could actually pull it off of the shrimp in one piece.  Big pet peeve with me. All in all, a perfectly ok meal.  Not a restaurant we’d ever choose to go to, but if someone else wanted to go, or we get a gift card, we can get a decent meal.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Years ago a Bonefish Grill came to the big city and I've always wanted to try it.  Never have.  And now that I'm even more of a hermit, I prolly never will lol.   That dip looks delicious @Kim Shook

I have been craving mushroom Swiss burgers.  So, made some out of venison.  They were good...but not like I was wanting.  I don't know exactly what was missing.  Maybe the ones I remember having had more of a sauce with the mushrooms?  I cooked them in butter with Worcestershire sauce.....

IMG_2182.thumb.jpg.32e8592084534d8a26e016ad7cc12d60.jpg

IMG_2183.thumb.jpg.7d8558f78964cb16fd1182986f5f2ba9.jpg

Got cold again so vegetable soup and ham and cheese toasties

IMG_E2188.thumb.jpg.b291310b93e4a107628b92459179d590.jpg

IMG_E2189.thumb.jpg.8954e5e8210df5482b77abf60ae5d023.jpg

Spagetti night

IMG_E2191.thumb.jpg.0a6c49a7b47fbf890bb7663cf209239f.jpg

Jalapeno brats

IMG_E2192.thumb.jpg.c1182e92df73c283488124a85393b60d.jpg

IMG_2193.thumb.jpg.22f1b96f2633f2dc0d0511eebf826a71.jpg

Had some lemons and berries so lemon posset for dessert (mom's birthday was Sunday so dessert in her honor :) )

Last night was breakfast.  I cooked my eggs in the tomato Brussel sprout pan.  Ronnie did his separately.

IMG_E2196.thumb.jpg.532520bf3b9fe01da686b05c18de88bf.jpg

IMG_E2197.thumb.jpg.7858d27573583fe842fda16de9faa8a6.jpg

IMG_2198.thumb.jpg.49d7d2eff0d5cfcd2d55477cc892a467.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

<snip>

On Saturday I tried out a recipe for mujadara from Aarti Sequeira on Food Network.  Lentils, caramelized red onion, rice, cinnamon, cumin, and hot sauce (a little):

IMG_8833.jpg.c8ef91ea5653a83fc390750340715ff5.jpg 

<more snip>

Mujadara is supposed to be a meatless main course, but I didn’t think Mr. Kim would appreciate that, so I roasted some chicken legs that I’d rubbed with Greek seasoning.  The mujadara is topped with lemon juice, some of the caramelized red onion, French fried onions (for crunch), toasted pine nuts, and plain yogurt:

IMG_8834.jpg.91a6460755ea2d602727395d01ff7a6f.jpg 

Not an attractive meal, but a good one.  I haven’t had mujadara in many years, so I’m not sure that I really know what it should be like, but I think that mine may have been a little too cohesive.  The flavors were excellent, but I am wondering if it should have been fluffier and the 3 ingredients – rice, lentils, and onion – more separate?  If anyone would like to chime in, I’d love that!  Thanks.

One more thing – for the chicken legs I used a recipe for Greek seasoning that I found online.  It contained oregano, basil, dill, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  It was fine, but didn’t knock my socks off.  Does anyone have a recipe, or a brand, that they like a lot to recommend to me?

My copy of The Sultan's Kitchen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Ozcan Ozan describes Müceddere (that's how he spells it) as a rice pilaf with chickpeas, green lentils and caramelized onions. Your recipe doesn't list chickpeas, and he actually includes orzo and tomatoes in the recipe. I thought the book included a photo, but I can't / don't know how to / call it up on my Kindle copy to compare. But yes, yours looks a bit more cohesive than I remember it being. I wonder if you needed to rinse the rice more, or the lentils? Or maybe the tomatoes and orzo in my recipe make it looser...or I simply don't remember either!

As for the Greek seasoning: it sounds to me as though you needed to add lemon, although maybe you did separately from the seasoning. I tend to distrust garlic powder and onion powder; some is good and some is vile. I don't have a Greek Seasoning mix I can recommend, so I'm not much help except to ask about lemon!

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 4/11/2022 at 4:01 AM, Honkman said:

Duck ragu with pasta (duck ragu made from duck legs braised with carrots, celery, onions, garlic, lots of anchovies, tomato paste, red wine, red wine vinegar, juniper berries and chicken broth)

C96A9A51-2C46-4E2A-B545-7A97FCD7CB29.thumb.jpeg.7a465e521cfb2f1a88bc7f04fd9fe0cb.jpeg

Definitely trying that.

• Like 1

Risotto with chicken, pancetta and parmesan once again. I added a dollop of white truffle infused olive oil at the end, which brought a nice subtle musky note to the dish.

My eldest daughter was home from Uni this fortnight, and requested risotto, hence making this twice in two weeks. The truffle oil was a new addition for me. I cooked the rice for 40 minutes this evening, and it seemed cooked enough for the fam this time.

IMG_20220412_204714.jpg

In photos, on the plate, it could be more runny for sure.

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 8

One of Charlie's friends and his wife has been over for dinner at least once and another time or two with a larger group.  She is going to have a dinner with a group she is in and asked me if I could make a couple sides she had here and liked.  One of them is BBQ baked beans.  She is getting all the ingredient for me.  Except a couple of them aren't available at the store. One is the rib rub I use and the other is drippings and shredded brisket that I add to the beans.  Sooo I made a brisket today to have some for the beans.  Well I started it today and will finish it on Saturday when Charlie told me that he wanted to ask friends over to help eat all that meat. I wrapped the brisket two layers of foil and will finish it in the oven on Sat.   So that we would have something to eat tonight, I had some saved corned beef from St. Pat's day in the freezer, thawed it, and put it in the smoker at the same time.  I thought the piece I had tasted too salty but Charlie is more sensitive to salt than I am and said his was good.  The rest of dinner were left overs too.

20220412_124546.jpg

20220412_171243.jpg

20220412_170323.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

The ubiquitous pork chop on the NFG with Brussels sprouts, also roasted on the NFG.  The sprouts were added at "flip time" and were coated in a bit of avocado oil.  After roasting they were tossed in a bit of black currant balsamic and a pinch of salt.  A much better method that coating before roasting - more flavorful and cleanup is way easier as the balsamic doesn't caramelize on the gill grate.

nfg-pork-chop16.jpg.8fb1f03f3c88269f57c5a69c6e10ebd9.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

50 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

The ubiquitous pork chop on the NFG with Brussels sprouts, also roasted on the NFG.  The sprouts were added at "flip time" and were coated in a bit of avocado oil.  After roasting they were tossed in a bit of black currant balsamic and a pinch of salt.  A much better method that coating before roasting - more flavorful and cleanup is way easier as the balsamic doesn't caramelize on the gill grate.

Is the black currant balsamic somthing you purchase or that you infused? I think of black currant as deepening the flvor but maybe losing the brightness of the vinegar. Do you guys enjoy it in salad preps as well?

My stomach has been a bit iffy of late, and for some reason, vegetable beef soup sounded good. I had some leftover rump roast in the freezer, so I diced up a chunk of it, added tomatoes, tomato puree, and frozen mixed vegetables and seasoned. Cooked about 30 minutes to get the frozen mixed veggies done. Turned the stove off, I thought. Sadly, I merely turned it to low, instead, and 30 minutes on low while I napped on the couch was enough to scorch the pan and set off the smoke alarm, which adventure kept me busy until 8:30. I think this is that story.

I still want my vegetable soup. The scorched pan is sitting on the back of the stove, awaiting cleanup. I will FIND a restaurant that has vegetable soup today. The closest I could get last night was Olive Garden (ick), whose pasta e fagoli soup is at least semi-decent. But it ain't vegetable beef soup.

Hmmm. Maybe I have VB soup in the freezer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It's turned cold again here so last night I wanted hot soup for dinner.

Found a recipe for Kielbasa and Cabbage Soup which I could throw together fairly quickly.  Turned out very good and felt warming.

On the down side I managed to plug up my disposer.  In addition to the malfunctioning furnace I'm beginning to feel like I'm related to @JoNorvelleWalker

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, heidih said:

Is the black currant balsamic somthing you purchase or that you infused? I think of black currant as deepening the flvor but maybe losing the brightness of the vinegar. Do you guys enjoy it in salad preps as well?

Definitely purchased product.  Can’t remember if I bought it or received it as a gift. I haven’t used it in salads that I recall. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@Shelby – try sautéing the mushrooms in butter and a little bit of A1.  I’m pretty sure that this was why Mr. Kim proposed to me.  Though, I’m also pretty sure that he’d leave me for your French fries!😁 

@Smithy – thank you for your help!  I definitely think that lemon was missing from the “Greekness” of the chicken rub!  And I’m glad to have you confirm my suspicion that the mujadara should have been fluffier.  I wonder if cooking the rice completely separately and adding it in at serving would be a good idea?  Hmmmm. 

Anyone familiar with Arabic cooking care to weigh in?

Last night was breakfast-for-dinner:

IMG_8863.jpg.de7b4f53f15fb1efdc75830cb56ba4e6.jpg 

Biscuits and gravy, applesauce, and one damn hard (but tasty) pear. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5