• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Produce is getting better and better here in the Bay Area - time for a vegetable soup after going through the produce department. Soup included cauliflower, green beans, kohlrabi, carrots, corn, green onions, celery, tomatoes, Swiss chard and fennel. Added some spelt to make it more substantial. Finished with some pistou to get some extra flavor.

BE74CFE4-703B-4400-A7ED-F93ECC8D5E2E.thumb.jpeg.85d8ba2762b669e95f645cbbb78afc6e.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Last night, chicken sausage pasta with red peppers.   I've made this often enough I pretty much got it down.  Sauce has sour cream, tomato paste, chicken bouillon, red pepper flakes, pasta water.  Finished with some fresh basil.

20220329_172913.thumb.jpg.a499e56d36df716c72c5fd78f54fdac8.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Does it still count as dinner if it it only to be consumed in 6’ish hours?!  7A076FDA-ECC8-4986-8549-D94BB687067D.thumb.jpeg.a348c791e42e519a0d8a24189b9fafc9.jpeg

paneer/pea/almond curry 

excuse the mess - action shot! 

Nope, sorry … that for the breakfast thread then. You don’t expect us to wait for 6h, do you ?!

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Haha 2

@Shelby – I just looked and I haven’t made lasagna soup since May 2020😳(is it weird that I can dig up that information?).  I’ve just put it on my menus document.

@Tropicalsenior – your broccoli salad sounds great.  Never thought about adding what amounts to Waldorf salad ingredients.  I’m going to try that next time!

@Ann_T – your Swedish meatballs are the best-looking ones I’ve ever seen.  I’ve printed out the recipe and hope to make it soon.  And I have to say that if I were lucky enough to get a piece of that pizza, I would gladly pull all the mushrooms off and dig in😁.  That crust is incredible.  I’ve always been the person at the table saying, “Are you not going to eat your crust?”.  😄

Friday was salad and sandwiches.  Jessica asked for the Momofuko dressing which I’d basically forgotten about:

IMG_8730.jpg.9f660abebc8ae22418ea488350cf63ad.jpg 

I’m really glad she did.  It is so good!

Just tuna salad sandwiches as our main course.  Mr. Kim’s with asparagus and (purchased) potato salad:

IMG_8731.jpg.2a32e1d07b8c8089c3bf02751380a848.jpg 

Mine on toast with cheese and chips:

IMG_8732.jpg.a63342fd5c7db41cc78511140030269b.jpg 

Sunday in Lent is considered “little Easter”, so we were able to get restaurant food and decided on pizza – All the meats from a local place:

IMG_8735.jpg.7cc47a8f6ea4732fb8cc08b3ec11021e.jpg 

Feta and sausage with half jalapeno:

IMG_8736.jpg.acae5c72abe2d21df22dd4ce9b2d8506.jpg 

On Monday, I tried out a new recipe from Taste of Home: Tex-Mex Shredded Beef Sandwiches.  It was supposed to be done in a slow cooker, but I decided to adjust the recipe for the IP and it worked very well:

IMG_8744.thumb.jpg.a0ee76a13347e75e774c2fff2de0a2af.jpg

It was incredibly easy and tasted very good.  It was just a chuck roast, chili seasoning, and BBQ sauce.  Sandwich, crappy purchased macaroni salad, slaw, and chippy dip:

IMG_8746.jpg.4bed0a3b368ef32c726e037bf5e1e6bb.jpg

IMG_8745.jpg.03e9bebe796aee9c2f6871d44a806ebb.jpg 

For dinner last night I tried a recipe from Cook’s Country for Skillet Roasted Chicken and Stuffing (really dressing since it isn’t IN the chicken).  The whole thing cooks in the oven in a large skillet.  Sautéed and seasoned onions and celery on the bottom, herb-butter brushed chicken on top of that and bread cubes around the chicken and into the oven:

IMG_8750.jpg.12b1c75573a2db9e3e8aaecd38912b18.jpg 

Out of the oven:

IMG_8751.jpg.4ee1c1286b7d98a55b6a42cab58bbbb8.jpg 

Carved:

IMG_8752.jpg.48347d9b62f5ae2a636f952806036a4f.jpg 

The recipe wasn’t without problems, but the chicken was gorgeous.  With Costco chickens being so cheap and good, I probably hadn’t roasted a chicken in years, but this reminded us of how good a home-roasted chicken could actually be.  The problems I mentioned were all with the “stuffing” (dressing):

IMG_8753.thumb.jpg.4aeeae463282b34f17c9db29ee56d772.jpg 

It was truly delicious – no problem with that.  The issues were with the amount and the texture.  There would have been barely enough dressing for the 3 of us, much less any leftovers to go with the half chicken that I ended up putting away for later meals.  Luckily, I had a couple of cups of bread/vegetables/seasoning mix in the freezer that I popped in the microwave and added to the pan.  The texture problem could have been operator error.  I might have cut the bread cubes too large because they were pretty hard even after the “steaming” step - you take the chicken out of the skillet and tent it and let the dressing sit, covered for 10 minutes.  Some of the cubes were just still too hard.  Pretty sure I can fix that with more careful cutting and adding a little more chicken broth.  It is such a good recipe and such an easy method that it is worth reworking a bit to perfect it.  The really unforgivable thing is that a recipe for roast chicken and dressing doesn’t call for or provide for gravy/sauce🙄.  Luckily, I realized this as I was putting the chicken in the oven.  I went completely rogue and dump a combination of canned turkey gravy, white wine, Better than Bouillon, and chicken Bisto into a saucepan and simmered it for the hour that the chicken was in the oven😄. Not too bad.  Plated with butter beans:

IMG_8754.jpg.5d90c1d163ca2c407b893fd1f1203b36.jpg

I confess I was too lazy to go out for Brussels sprouts.  They would have been perfect, though. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 6

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Never thought about adding what amounts to Waldorf salad ingredients.

It didn't start out to be that way but by the time I got through leaving out what I couldn't use and adding something to substitute, that's how it turned out. The dressing was as you described and it was good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Nope, sorry … that for the breakfast thread then. You don’t expect us to wait for 6h, do you ?!

Well, it's I who will be doing the waiting (chances are you have already had your dinner!).  This is just a tease ;)

• Haha 1

Yeah, @Ann_Tthat meal, as always, is drool-worthy.  I'm hoping we have one last prime rib piece in the freezer that we can have soon.

@Kim ShookI've been meaning to make lasagna, but it just seemed too daunting so lasagna soup happened lol.  And your chicken and dressing looks amazing.  Now I need some Stove Top Stuffing.

Canadian bacon, mushroom and jalapeño pizza

thumbnail_IMG_2138.jpg.1e14263fe65a8aab1881b53d1d66fc80.jpg

@Ann_T's lemon pepper wings with pasta and spinach 

thumbnail_IMG_2142.jpg.0e312a5909fefc36569d4544368ee1b6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2143.jpg.18d51b686a4c72cf73ce8543a0d2aa63.jpg

Lemon posset and blackberries for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_2144.jpg.f0db42bf71499f6626ff918892fedab1.jpg

Venison meatloaf, our canned green beans, mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy

thumbnail_IMG_2146.jpg.58b2676410a95ef4ca70e396b1df35c4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2147.jpg.836e0d39bb16ff3ecb42e1d9ce98d7c8.jpg

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@Shelby, now that is a meatloaf I would eat. No ketchup in sight.  

Getting a head start on tonight's dinner.
(unless Moe decides he wants it for breakfast)
1476972046_SalisburySteakMarch31st2022.thumb.jpg.0eb7b70fab85ad8148ebcafe8fbfd3f6.jpg

One of "Moe's Diner Specials" Salisbury steak simmering in a mushroom and onion gravy.
A dish I have been making Moe for many years.
Making enough to freeze for a couple of quick worknight dinners.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 7

Been lurking and liking for a month or so, just not posting any dinner pics.  My dad passed away at the age of 95 last month and I have been cooking but mainly the same old same old while dealing with the myriad of estate issues and being frustrated by unbelievably stupid banks!  So I haven't been inspired to post.  Today was also a day at the dentist - nothing major but simple procedure turned into a multi-hour affair and being at the dentist is one of my least favorite things.  So I thought I would reward myself with a nice filet mignon, cooked SV then seared with a baked potato and butter.  Accompanied by a glass of Napa Cab.

filet.jpg.07eac6a09f9980797f777647c1ce7611.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 8

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

27 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Been lurking and liking for a month or so, just not posting any dinner pics.  My dad passed away at the age of 95 last month and I have been cooking but mainly the same old same old while dealing with the myriad of estate issues and being frustrated by unbelievably stupid banks!  So I haven't been inspired to post.  Today was also a day at the dentist - nothing major but simple procedure turned into a multi-hour affair and being at the dentist is one of my least favorite things.  So I thought I would reward myself with a nice filet mignon, cooked SV then seared with a baked potato and butter.  Accompanied by a glass of Napa Cab.

I'm so glad that you could chew it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, mgaretz said:

That looks like it would be an excellent cure for a multitude of ills.

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your father.

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

IMG_6479.thumb.jpeg.669e67dc36cb3da7c6db8016ca72a334.jpeg

Shrimp (wild gulf) and cheesy grits. With bacon.

Ooohh. That looks FINE. I don't know that I've ever met the shrimp n grits I didn't love, though my favorite of them all is the version from Mr. B's Bistro in NOLA. With two caveats: the grits are rich enough to inspire a heart attack. I've cut the fat by close to half without losing any flavor. Also, the recipe and menu call the sauce "red-eye gravy." It is nowhere CLOSE to red-eye gravy. But damn, it's good!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

the grits are rich enough to inspire a heart attack.

Yes - I probably cut half the butter out, and it was still plenty rich.  The lemon actually is there to help cut through some of the richness, and it worked!

These were some of the best grits I've ever made!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?