• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

On 3/15/2022 at 10:19 PM, MaryIsobel said:

Red Peppers stuffed with ground turkey, whole grain and wild rice blend, mushrooms, onions, garlic and spinach. I suppose I could have scraped the spaghetti squash from the shell, made a nest of it for the stuffed pepper and garnished it artfully. Obviously I didn't do that.

dinnner_6841.jpg

Edited Tuesday at 10:20 PM by MaryIsobel (log)

I like natural plating. Sure there are lots of choices but sometimes serving in a vegetables shell is a reminder how amazing mother nature can be. DH likes it in the shell halved and stuffed or in 8 wedges and back in the oven to roast a bit more. When I have taken it out he thinks it is too much like a noodle replacement. I like it any way prepared. (Gorgeous grey scale shadows on both sides of your plate.)

My sister recently, while visiting my parents, asked why I always halve avocados and serve them in their shells to the table on a shared salad plate.--I sent her a picture how dad likes his salads. He likes a big platter of choices. Not all tossed together. Likes to 'graze'. We always put out platters well ahead of dinner for houseguests and family visits to offer a snack and to keep the grazers out of the kitchen. I'll have to remember the squash wedges when I visit next. I send them Misfits to arrive the day after I do. He doesn't like it 'noodled' but I bet he will eat the wedges like candy. 

• Like 2

I don't post many of these meals as the are quick and re-peats. Master stock and miso and any veg on hand. Seared tofu, ramen eggs, and avocado. DH cut his avocado half and added to the soup and I like it out of hand. This one was a bowl licker. Good broth. 

IMG_2642.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

^it is always a pic pretty before I add the ginger/miso. Makes it cloudy. But I look for food value/healthy first. 

So thrilled to have yet another 2 pound bag of wild gulf shrimp from WholeFoods. 6-8 shrimp for a great quick meal and they thaw fast.

DH has heart health issues in his family history that freaks me out. His father never ate a vegetable in my watch ever. 

I made a master stock finally on Monday. And a braised pork shoulder. We lost power the last storm so I had to postpone the event on Sunday. I have 12 1/2 pints of good rich jelly stock. And three days of bark pulled pork shoulder---lunches, tacos, salads. Sliders. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 4.07.51 PM.png

• Like 12

37 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I sometimes feel that the best thing about the St. Patrick’s Day brisket is to have the corned beef leftovers in a Reuben the next day …

D9C4A8F4-B8B0-4B77-BCFB-16B583F4A937.thumb.jpeg.0c367fc2e946184bb6d0617933f06252.jpeg

B9C9115F-17F6-4F07-88A1-CECB0C5EE007.thumb.jpeg.e3461bbae2f21d9a2fee090b7a9c37ab.jpeg

Nice! The bread is calling me. Description?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Nice! The bread is calling me. Description?

Lazy Friday, soo …commercial Roggenmischbrot: sourdough, 55% wheat (with a certain whole wheat percentage), 45% rye. Baked around 4h before slicing.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Lazy Friday, soo …commercial Roggenmischbrot: sourdough, 55% wheat (with a certain whole wheat percentage), 45% rye. Baked around 4h before slicing.

I get that it is a mix (Misch) of rye and wheat, but when you say commercial and reference when baked - is this somethng you have avaiable to purchase and bake at home, you know the baker, or?

1 minute ago, heidih said:

I get that it is a mix (Misch) of rye and wheat, but when you say commercial and reference when baked - is this somethng you have avaiable to purchase and bake at home, you know the baker, or?

No, you simply go to the bakery and ask what has been baked in the afternoon. That specific batch was about 4 hours old, which seemed to be reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

41 minutes ago, Duvel said:

No, you simply go to the bakery and ask what has been baked in the afternoon. That specific batch was about 4 hours old, which seemed to be reasonable.

We are not envious at all ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

We are not envious at all ;)

If there is one thing I miss from not living in Germany anymore it is not having easy access to great bread all the time - in the US it’s either laughable bad quality or good quality but at insane prices compared to Germany (and having a places with good Fleischsalat, Krabbensalat and Fischsalat would be also great)

27 minutes ago, Honkman said:

If there is one thing I miss from not living in Germany anymore it is not having easy access to great bread all the time - in the US it’s either laughable bad quality or good quality but at insane prices compared to Germany (and having a places with good Fleischsalat, Krabbensalat and Fischsalat would be also great)

My sister from Australia (more than half her life) cringes at the readily available bread products here- sweet, no variety, no oomph/heart/Kraft. It is here but you have to travel for it in this so so spread out city and not cheap. She does like my no-knead half whole wheat. https://la.eater.com/maps/best-bread-bakeries-los-angeles

• Like 1

A day late because of too much going on. Roasted corned beef with horseradish-butter roasted vegetables. And cheddar soda bread. Nowhere near authentic, but really tasty.

FC9FC8E9-2076-4039-97C0-4195DABDEF11.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Between @Margaret Pilgrim and @liamsaunt, I am ready for some battered fried seafood tonight.  Well, I’m always ready for that😊

@liamsaunt – thank you for the recipe link.  That sounds like something we’ll like a LOT!  And, by the way, what a beautiful (and cohesive) coating on your chicken!!!

@Ann_T – Oh, dear!  Your beautiful halibut and crab meal is so delicious looking. 

@Shelby – The Lucky Charms puddings cracked me up! 

Last night, I am ashamed to say that the only thing I actually cooked on the plate was the Brussels sprouts:

IMG_8548.jpg.cb21edc3be39ad7fb63444e2d08c6bdb.jpg

The meatloaf is Stouffers (they do a better job than I do), the mac and cheese is Bob Evans and the spoonbread upper right is Ukrops, a local once-grocery store, now-prepared food purveyor that I’ve talked about before.  The sprouts were delicious, though.  Really simple pan roasted recipe from America’s Test Kitchen (via The Splendid Table). 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

21 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Between @Margaret Pilgrim and @liamsaunt, I am ready for some battered fried seafood tonight.  Well, I’m always ready for that😊

@liamsaunt – thank you for the recipe link.  That sounds like something we’ll like a LOT!  And, by the way, what a beautiful (and cohesive) coating on your chicken!!!

@Ann_T – Oh, dear!  Your beautiful halibut and crab meal is so delicious looking. 

@Shelby – The Lucky Charms puddings cracked me up! 

Last night, I am ashamed to say that the only thing I actually cooked on the plate was the Brussels sprouts:

The meatloaf is Stouffers (they do a better job than I do), the mac and cheese is Bob Evans and the spoonbread upper right is Ukrops, a local once-grocery store, now-prepared food purveyor that I’ve talked about before.  The sprouts were delicious, though.  Really simple pan roasted recipe from America’s Test Kitchen (via The Splendid Table). 

Who cares as long as it tastes good.  Plus you had the required green cabbage like stuff for St. Pat's :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

The meatloaf is Stouffers

At our house, the meatloaf comes from Bryan's, our fabulous "corner store".    Husband long ago told me to just go to Bryan's when meatloaf was in mind.    Not cheap, but reliable and excellent product.    Just bake for 50 minutes at 350. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

10 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I like natural plating. Sure there are lots of choices but sometimes serving in a vegetables shell is a reminder how amazing mother nature can be. DH likes it in the shell halved and stuffed or in 8 wedges and back in the oven to roast a bit more. When I have taken it out he thinks it is too much like a noodle replacement. I like it any way prepared. (Gorgeous grey scale shadows on both sides of your plate.)

My sister recently, while visiting my parents, asked why I always halve avocados and serve them in their shells to the table on a shared salad plate.--I sent her a picture how dad likes his salads. He likes a big platter of choices. Not all tossed together. Likes to 'graze'. We always put out platters well ahead of dinner for houseguests and family visits to offer a snack and to keep the grazers out of the kitchen. I'll have to remember the squash wedges when I visit next. I send them Misfits to arrive the day after I do. He doesn't like it 'noodled' but I bet he will eat the wedges like candy. 

I find it's an easier sell when I don't try to "disguise" vegetables as something they're not. Minced cauliflower, not cauliflower rice, shredded zucchini, not zoodles... You get the picture. I'm kind of that way myself actually.

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

I sometimes feel that the best thing about the St. Patrick’s Day brisket is to have the corned beef leftovers in a Reuben the next day …

D9C4A8F4-B8B0-4B77-BCFB-16B583F4A937.thumb.jpeg.0c367fc2e946184bb6d0617933f06252.jpeg

B9C9115F-17F6-4F07-88A1-CECB0C5EE007.thumb.jpeg.e3461bbae2f21d9a2fee090b7a9c37ab.jpeg

I feel the same way. Corned beef hash with a poached egg and a reuben are the best reasons for making corned beef in my humble opinion.

• Like 3