• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Nice looking meals all.

@DuvelI've been wanting lasagna but have been too lazy to make it.  Yours looks incredible.  The little bowl you asked me about is hand thrown pottery made by an artist in Colorado.  I LOVE pottery like this and am always on the look-out for it--especially wine glasses (glasses isn't the right word...goblets??).  They are super hard to find (the goblets)...I'm told because they are super hard to make.  Anyway here is a picture of more.  Somewhere around here I have a tall mug/stein that goes with this set.  My mom found them all at a show in Colorado.

thumbnail_IMG_2079.jpg.2b0eb80d730e55563dec101088ccfa5d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2080.jpg.136dd1437fc8e597efdebf72c7e5fc12.jpg

@heidihMy lemons have been coming from Misfits lately...I have no idea what kind they are...they are lemon shaped and yellow and that's the extent of my knowledge 🤣

@Paul BacinoAntelope!  I think that is one meat that I've never had...which is kind of weird having lived in Colorado.  Looks really good.  

I haven't felt like doing much lately--not sick...just the blahs.  This time change isn't helping, either.  I need to get out and be in the sun a bit.  That always helps.  Or...drink more wine.  That helps too lol.  So much needs to be done around the house and I just sit and look at it 🙃

On to the food:

Last weekend the daughter of our friends that passed away had a get-together to celebrate what would have been their 50th wedding anniversary.  We got there right when it started and didn't stay long at all....but I wanted to contribute and she asked for desserts.  Sooooo, I made the always- famous- for -pot- lucks chocolate sheet cake lol.  When I got the pecans out to chop them up I found they were rancid.  GRRRRRRR.  So, I subbed chopped peanuts.  It must have been ok because my pan came back empty.

thumbnail_IMG_2052.jpg.043fd8dac244f8744181055bb486f4e2.jpg

Didn't feel like cooking so I got some previously frozen pork enchilada filling and some sauce from the freezer.  Stuffed peppers along side--and RG beans.

thumbnail_IMG_2054.jpg.546ba5718f89e7cc75bd62e0e16f458c.jpg

Cold days called for oyster/fish soup

thumbnail_IMG_2055.jpg.e651de4c6c7bbd2eb7d77f219c0fa89b.jpg

The last two Philly cheese steaks.  Sigh they are so good.  I'm sad they are gone.  Broccoli salad and tots to go with

thumbnail_IMG_2056.jpg.8c4c0df70949085ed17b072dd327b4c9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2057.jpg.1011d0120f54b15a13cd11fc74067ae8.jpg

Venison meatloaf, breaded tomatoes, beans, taters and gravy

thumbnail_IMG_2064.jpg.142e6526ba2d2aff82d121570a0fcccd.jpg

Ribs and some smoked brisket from the freezer again.

thumbnail_IMG_2073.jpg.1f2c14a12e9dc8ee3600e2a88f4f3713.jpg

Chicken Alfredo, spinach and roasted romanesco

thumbnail_IMG_2075.jpg.34480a0fcca0d638fad77c12a2c91c1c.jpg

And last night Ronnie wanted fried chicken.  I didn't get around to SVing it first, but I was told it was my best fried chicken ever.  

Since we had just had mashed potatoes I made a pasta salad instead.

thumbnail_IMG_2076.jpg.5a936f3510dd2eb3aa4f3ac88493c079.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2077.jpg.7b4638f3763e5c61059a3d7b4b93df78.jpg

And @Jaymesalways excellent squash

thumbnail_IMG_2078.jpg.b609b5013e8ed9c3cde569e7c237c051.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

The epitome of lazyness - got some Brötchen, Boursin and minced meat. Managed to prepare at least some Frikadellen. Was a good & welcome dinner nonetheless …

973C5553-AC55-425E-91AC-95EA94CE7009.thumb.jpeg.d7932f944bb44491307f92066b5133d5.jpeg

What's the blue item that looks like a tug boat?

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

What's the blue item that looks like a tug boat?

That’s the butter. The container is from Alessi, the so called “butter boat” …

D590613C-97BD-4E6E-AC22-B7819895E58A.thumb.jpeg.2f5b48d2fcc0d354064c688f85778acc.jpeg

7E76E317-4009-4527-A115-6F54B6BDDA0C.thumb.jpeg.7b82b952cc35adc22a2e18e28de7654d.jpeg

• Like 7

@Duvel 

always noce

when I saw

the little boat

first off 

I thought you used to for home

churned butter

from the freshest ........

I did think that.

and its a start 

w butter in it

but 

not the same

Soooo ....

• Haha 1

@Duvel – that is an incredible, restaurant-quality coating you got on your schnitzels.  Also, I love that butter dish.  I’ve been on the lookout for a butter dish for the kitchen counter that incorporates the knife and that looks perfect!

@liamsaunt – what recipe do you use for the cauliflower gruyere gratin?  It looks wonderful.

@Shelby – those bowls are amazing.  And, once again, I’m full and looking at your food has me hungry.  I’m craving broccoli salad, meatloaf, macaroni salad, and fried chicken!!

For meatless Friday, we had @liamsaunt’s broiled fish, broccoli, and Rice a Roni along with a slightly over browned cheese roll:

IMG_8494.jpg.a013ccd2a60515c22cd66076df218506.jpg 

I couldn’t find sole, so I got some flounder.  I confess that I slightly undercooked it, but it was still really good.  We will definitely have again.

Sundays, being considered “Little Easter”, we could indulge in restaurant food.  We watched a YouTube video about Subway vs. Jersey Mike’s subs on Saturday, which Jersey Mike’s won (of course) and got them for dinner on Sunday.  We got the #13 – the Original Italian:

IMG_8509.jpg.0512ad773c5bd2c6eff3b4903ea6241d.jpg 

I don’t think any of the three of us has ever gotten any other sub there. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Managed to prepare at least some Frikadellen.

You are beginning to scare me. I was looking at this recipe yesterday thinking to work it into the menu this week. I wanted to add something Danish to our world tour of food. I don't suppose that you know a good recipe for those rolls, do you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You are beginning to scare me. I was looking at this recipe yesterday thinking to work it into the menu this week. I wanted to add something Danish to our world tour of food. I don't suppose that you know a good recipe for those rolls, do you?

It's not so much of a recipe, but more of a method. But I am happy to share it - I'll post it in RecipeGullet tonigtht ...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – what recipe do you use for the cauliflower gruyere gratin?  It looks wonderful.

I use Ina Garten's recipe.  It was in her cookbook Barefoot in Paris, but it is also on the Food Network site: 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cauliflower-gratin-recipe-1917463

Yesterday, my fish share delivery got messed up (by us, not them!).  My niece is home for spring break, so my husband 'thought' he added extra salmon and catch of the week to our delivery, but nope!  We got the usual amount.  So, two people got salmon and two people got cod.  Here is a bowl of the cod, broiled with miso in a ramen soup with summer squash zoodles and bok choy added to up the veggie count.  

2082036158_codramen.thumb.jpg.bda399369d82e3897e2f56770cd6cc33.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

19 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Fresh rice noodles or dried?  Where do you get them?

These are the fresh ones, Ken; it was $3 for a bag of about 1.5 lbs.  I'm pretty sure it's called Grand Food Corporation - 212 Grand Street. 

They've got various fresh rice noodles (some with dried shrimp, etc.) and lots of tofu in various states (smoked, fried, skin).

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

33 minutes ago, weinoo said:

These are the fresh ones, Ken; it was $3 for a bag of about 1.5 lbs.  I'm pretty sure it's called Grand Food Corporation - 212 Grand Street. 

They've got various fresh rice noodles (some with dried shrimp, etc.) and lots of tofu in various states (smoked, fried, skin).

Thanks - fresh rice noodles are MUCH easier to deal with with a stir fry than dried ones....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Thanks - fresh rice noodles are MUCH easier to deal with with a stir fry than dried ones....

These are great.  I always ask for a smaller bag (usually they're like 3+ pounds), as I can't use it all at once. And I don't know, but my guess is they're best on the day you buy them. (They're not happy making me a smaller bag).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Woke Sunday morning to a power outage so had to skip the all day stock and braised pork shoulder. 

Made a usual quick meal in our rotation. I want shrimp and veg. He wants pasta and merguez. Both thaw quick in bags in water in the fridge. A good weeknight meal if nothing is planned. We have a transfer switch but don't use the elec wall oven or the dishwasher so stovetop minimal is preferred and necessary. And easy clean-up. 

Snipped the sausage into rounds. Seared, and set aside to make the sauce in the same pan. Leek, shallot, celery, left-over champagne, tomato paste, gorgonzola. 

I blanched briefly the snow peas, romanesco and brussels in the pasta water--medium sauce pan. Then the shrimp in the same water. 

A favorite 5 minute pasta. I had 5 shrimp, he had three. (Forgotten how clean they are cooked so simply). I ate more veg, he had more pasta and sausage, yada, yada. 

Most important was enough for next day lunches. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 2.52.23 PM.png

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1