• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Not sure it qualifies as @weinoo's braised veg, but buttery zucchini

1574893647_ScreenShot2022-03-08at6_14_54PM.png.3e993211b9c7b8fa4ae0868643815c97.png

Followed by disappointingly melting enchilades suises (chicken, onion, Oaxacan cheese, green chili sauce).    The tortillas, bought last week, just disappeared into gloop.    But tasty.  

1044687298_ScreenShot2022-03-08at6_15_07PM.png.9ffef956b0c4fc20fd2463aea1aa2d77.png

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Kind of uninspired for dinner tonight and then I remembered that I got a new waffle iron for Christmas that I hadn't used yet, so proposed breakfast for dinner and my husband was on board. His homemade back bacon, waffles, air fryer "fried" potatoes and onions and dribs and drabs of fruit. Picture is sans accoutrements, which for me is home canned salsa and some fresh cilantro on the potatoes and a drizzle of maple syrup on the waffle.

S_6803.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Last night...

Dinner03082022.jpg

Vivek Singh's Lamb Shanks with Saffron and Rosewater, from his book Curry (pp 118-119).  After plating I went to take a photograph and was greeted by "Battery Exhausted".  Dinner was served cold.  With Tilda Basmati.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pork stirfry for me and kiddo. 

Really wish I had some nuts to add but, with all the stock delays and flood caused shortages, I have made the choice to use our supplies and leave what is available for those who have to live week to week with their food shop. Certainly won't starve here. 

20220309_182711.thumb.jpg.378e2d636ea773a724c02e544d2a9cdf.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Not sure it qualifies as @weinoo's braised veg, but buttery zucchini

To me, the problem of braising with a vegetable like zucchini, is that it basically dissolves and creates too much liquid of its own.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Melissa Clark's recipe for Vietnamese caramel salmon as a change from our usual miso salmon (we liked it but the miso treatment remains the unanimous household favorite for salmon), on garlic noodles flavored with oyster sauce and fish sauce.  I added roasted black oyster and shiitake mushrooms and red bell peppers, plus pea shoots, lots of cilantro, scallions, and chile peppers.  

914540763_vietnamesecaramelsalmon.thumb.jpg.a1fbcdf8e110c7e87756302eaf32b204.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Glazed Udon noodles with leftover rotisserie chicken, diced zucchini, onion and red bell pepper.  Sauce is mix of orange and lime juices and zests, hoisin and chicken broth.  Topped with cilantro and peanuts.  High heat level as I add a serrano pepper to the sauce and serve with a hefty squirt of siracha. 

udon.jpg

• Like 14

20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Norm Matthews – Charlie’s chicken sandwich sounds great.  I’ve seen the bottles of Chick-fil-A sauce in the stores and wondered about it.  I don’t often eat there and was wondering what it was like – creamy sauce of some kind or a sweet and sour???

Here is a list of ingredients on the bottle of Chick-fil-A sauce.  Charlie is always on the search for a good chicken sandwich and he always asks for extra sauce.  He was very happy when it showed up in the store. Chick-fil-A was his favorite chicken sandwich until KFC came out with theirs.  PS It looks to me that is just says:  Mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, mustard, preservatives and adjust seasonings to taste.

20220309_081423.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

To me, the problem of braising with a vegetable like zucchini, is that it basically dissolves and creates too much liquid of its own.

LOL.    This is my parallel of your green beans.    I cook the liquid down until you essentially have "zucchini butter".

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Mr. Kim made chili yesterday:

IMG_8472.jpg.c9dab6e0ba9b28489c4b34808090e92d.jpg

I love chili beans so much.  Even as a dedicated carnivore, I'd rather omit beef than beans in chili.  I know that horrifies Texans.  There is a saying in the American South: "We don't care how you do it up North".  I have a corollary: "I don't care how you do it in Texas." 😄

I made Jiffy cornbread:

IMG_8471.jpg.f78a65a896a4de7deaafd0d18913420d.jpg

😊 Well, it WAS made with Benton's bacon grease in an iron skillet. 😁

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Visiting my cousin in sunny Santa Monica.  She and her husband gather mushrooms.  We had pickled milk mushrooms and herring under fur.  And steak which is not pictured.  It was rare.

C81A7968-0CEC-4649-A68D-4B170B9B1D53.thumb.jpeg.0dfac912502603631e1ea02af9406db2.jpeg

7A8DAC6A-8799-490F-B974-454CB21C95D7.thumb.jpeg.12a342027932fb421147d767041ee5a9.jpeg

10D99E51-65F1-4456-A6BE-871F898AF733.thumb.jpeg.6f5dc48c213731a37776cea5ded2a32c.jpeg

3B32C695-2EDC-4563-B053-67C9E07533A2.thumb.jpeg.fe585156b7981fd6a74cb924a710ab7c.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

On 3/7/2022 at 7:01 AM, dcarch said:

I have been very busy with many tasks. I made a few things for Mardi Gras. Something I have made before.

They say, "Leave a little sparkle wherever you go."

Late Mardi Gras greetings to all. Here's my little sparkles.

dcarch

388442549_porkrinds2022a.thumb.jpg.7b4f4dcad69b0a39db23e6d12e40c12b.jpg

1808493374_mardigras.thumb.jpg.959a647d71ecbef9772b6f5f92a4e54f.jpg

Detail please on first dish that looks lile well crisped pork crackling? You can keep the yellow bell ;)

On 3/8/2022 at 5:26 AM, liamsaunt said:

Blackened hake tacos.  I could only find flour tortillas buried in my freezer which was kind of a bummer, but we still enjoyed them.  I prefer broiled fish to fried in tacos.  

1873264494_fishtacos.thumb.jpg.77ce78796b2b123f6712330e8fc00442.jpg

I've become a fan of broiled fish in many cases. For fish tacos - yes fried, right out of oil, fom an oceanside cart  but otherwise broiled please.Memories of both @Hiroyuki and @torakris and the oft used fish broiler standard in their Japanesekitchens (both their blogs worth a view) Though I prefer corn tortillas as well, those flour ones you show look nice and thin and supple.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I love chili beans so much.  Even as a dedicated carnivore, I'd rather omit beef than beans in chili.  I know that horrifies Texans.  There is a saying in the American South: "We don't care how you do it up North".  I have a corollary: "I don't care how you do it in Texas." 😄

I made Jiffy cornbread:

I agree with you about the beans...thy're the best part of chili.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I made Jiffy cornbread:

Could be worse, you could dump a half a ton of cinnamon in it and serve it over spaghetti with fist fulls of cheap cheese on top. 

Seriously, Mr Kim's looks great and I like better with beans. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

17 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Kind of uninspired for dinner tonight and then I remembered that I got a new waffle iron for Christmas that I hadn't used yet, so proposed breakfast for dinner and my husband was on board. His homemade back bacon, waffles, air fryer "fried" potatoes and onions and dribs and drabs of fruit. Picture is sans accoutrements, which for me is home canned salsa and some fresh cilantro on the potatoes and a drizzle of maple syrup on the waffle.

S_6803.jpg

Thanks for the likes, but probably some of the worst waffles I have ever made for a couple of reasons; lazy procrastinating, until about an hour before dinner, so didn't do the seperated egg thing or the yeast risen ones. Bascially pancakes shaped liked waffles. You get what you give. Also had the waffle iron cranked to high, but they never got crispy. I shall perservere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Could be worse, you could dump a half a ton of cinnamon in it and serve it over spaghetti with fist fulls of cheap cheese on top. 

I love Cincinnati chili, too.  And chili-mac.  I'm pretty loose on my definitions of "chili".  Just so long as it isn't too spicy.  😄

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

LOL.    This is my parallel of your green beans.    I cook the liquid down until you essentially have "zucchini butter".

I understand, and to my taste nothing like a heavily cooked green bean, which somehow retains it green bean-ness.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

37 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I understand, and to my taste nothing like a heavily cooked green bean, which somehow retains it green bean-ness.

Of course not.   A different veg, a different sensibility.   Merely pointing out different tastes.

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I love Cincinnati chili, too.

Me too... on spaghetti with diced onions and a pile of fine shred cheddar. Not gonna deny the stretch involved with calling it chili but I've seen things far less chili-like called chili.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 3/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, rotuts said:

@Tri2Cook 

fantastic looking carnitas. 

hot long did they cook in the lard ?

did you get the lard hot enough to fry the

pork ?    or did you drain and brown ?

and yes indeed , pork cooked in lard can't be beat .

Thanks! 

Cooked, I'd say maybe 3.5 - 4 hours-ish. Didn't actually time it.

I "dry brine" the pork a couple days ahead, cook it in the lard until it gets some color then toss in the juice and peel from an orange, a few garlic cloves and a little evap milk, back the heat off a bit and let it cook until it's tender. I don't do anything to it once it comes out of the lard other than stuff it down my gullet. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Made something tonight that I haven't made for years and it got a big thumbs up.

Ukrainian borscht

20220309_183341.thumb.jpg.663013d46b28802c2f97beb9d54ce324.jpg

With homemade rolls

20220309_182745.thumb.jpg.ae43ea0cce511ca0e7063b3e022a55ac.jpg

And a green salad with tomatoes, cucumber, Asiago cubes and cottage cheese. Oh, and Kalamata olives.

20220309_174348.thumb.jpg.7e77c0e3613aca3d5edf1aa2c16ecbdb.jpg

I just purchased a Ukranian cookbook, and the first recipe I saw was borscht.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou