• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

I don't know.  I am not a big fan of mayonnaise based coleslaw and my son does not like any coleslaw except KFC.  My impression is that the dressing has less mayo than most and possibly sweeter.  Here is the list of ingredients and the directions are to mix them and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

• 1/2 C. mayo
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/4 C. buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
  • 2 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 medium head of cabbage
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1/4 medium yellow onion minced

Interesting, thanks.  My coleslaw dressing is just mayonnaise and cider vinegar.  Sometimes a dash of hot sauce or a clove of pressed garlic.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

This is a dangerous place to come to first thing in the morning.

So many wonderful meals.  And great photos.  

Last night's dinner.

Lamb curry, using lamb shanks and Aloo Gobi with homemade Chapati and basmati rice.

Lamb Shank Curry with Aloo Gobi March 2nd, 2022 2.jpg

I've had two lamb shanks in the refrigerator for as many weeks, with the intention of a curry.  I have not been able to summon the energy to do it.

Re: coleslaw.  Decades ago at a potluck I asked the (mayo based) coleslaw maker what made hers so good.  Horseradish.  Since then I can't eat coleslaw without it.  If I get take-away as soon as I get it in the house I add a dollop of prepared horseradish.  Makes all the difference in the world.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

always use horseradish myself .

to different degrees , depending

That sounds good.  I even have horseradish in the refrigerator.  Wish I had thought to try some in last night's coleslaw.

if y0u can get fresh horseradish , 

its not that difficult , MarketBasket has it !

its a tuber a  inch in diameter or so

about a foot long ?   here at MB  its out w the fresh veg

its also wrapped in cling-film , I guess so it doesn't dry out

anyway , I make sure the root is ' clean '

cut 6 " pieces ,  Vac in a bag , and take them out

Fz and grate like Fz ginger  .  takes a bit of time for the bite to show up

but it will .    I plane off the dried out end , just takes a shave or two

and toss.

and its right there in the freezer .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

It is very pretty.  And the dressing sounds delicious. 

High praise coming from you Ann. My husband and I are sticking pretty close to weight watchers so Greek yogurt has been a great sub for sour cream in dressings and other applications. It was just greek yogurt, grainy mustard, pinch of salt, pinch of red pepper and a sploosh of rice vinegar. Went well with the selected vegetables.

• Like 2

I like all kinds of slaw – it really depends on what I’m using it for.  My mother made an almost mayo-less one that was great with NC chopped BBQ.  I love a creamy, shredded cabbage with carrots and a touch of vinegar one as a side dish.  And if I’m having pulled pork rather than chopped or brisket, I like the creamy, mustardy version.  I don’t care for gloppy, though – the dressing has to be sparse.  The only thing we ate in England that we didn’t care for was the side of slaw that came with burgers a couple of times and also lasagna (?).  Each version was gloppy and overly sweet (I suspect too much Salad Cream). 

Tuesday night was Shrove Tuesday pancake supper from church.  The youth group does it as a fundraiser every year.  They make the light, fluffy American pancakes, which I love, but this time of year I always crave what @Ted Fairhead always called English pancakes – thin and delicate, sprinkled with caster sugar and lemon juice.  He’d always spark a bit of the skin with a match as a final touch to impress me when I was a little girl. 

Breakfast for dinner again last night:

IMG_8416.jpg.a7e7fdefbe222dd74b36eba5ac30dc89.jpg

Bacon, latkes (Trader Joe’s), applesauce, scrambled eggs w/ cheese, and Shelby’s white bread, toasted.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

7 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Re: coleslaw.  Decades ago at a potluck I asked the (mayo based) coleslaw maker what made hers so good.  Horseradish.  Since then I can't eat coleslaw without it.  If I get take-away as soon as I get it in the house I add a dollop of prepared horseradish.  Makes all the difference in the world.  

Tagging onto this thread branch, here is an old food mag recipe for man-friendly coleslaw.    Always a hit in our house.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:20 PM, Duvel said:

We are experiencing probably the last cold spell of the year. Days are bright and sunny, and nights are clear and frosty. Befitting the cold, I made some Uyghur polo, a dish made from fatty lamb, onions, carrots and a lot of garlic. All simmered until tender, with rice added midway to absorb all the flavors. It was very tasty and very close to the version I had so often at Pear Garden in Korla

This looks amazing! Reminds me of a lamb pilau a friend from northern China made for me years ago. Now I want some!
@ShelbyAre the Shishitos peppers from Ronnie's green house? We never see them here in supermarkets. I get treats from a gardening friend and have tried to grow them in my own garden. They are lovely!
Finally using up all the Siu Yook from CNY! Sliced the chunk up, made gravy and redux as roast pork dinner, gravy, etc.  Made IP baked potato for the first time. Turned out well -  saved time and turning on the oven! I see from your picture, @Kim Shook, that you use the individual portions of apple sauce. They are great as a whole jar tends to sit forgotten in the fridge after the meal - unless I put it near the front of the fridge so hubby can see it and eat it!

1674472203_SiuYookRedux6608.jpg.9be509d88227338e54984ccf95eac0db.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 3/3/2022 at 7:09 AM, Ann_T said:

This is a dangerous place to come to first thing in the morning.

So many wonderful meals.  And great photos.  

Last night's dinner.

Lamb curry, using lamb shanks and Aloo Gobi with homemade Chapati and basmati rice.

Lamb Shank Curry with Aloo Gobi March 2nd, 2022 2.jpg

Spectacular "coat" on that lamb shank!  Is that from a marinade?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Spectacular "coat" on that lamb shank!  Is that from a marinade?

@Dejah, no I very seldom marinade anything.  They were presalted the day before and then just seared.
Added back into the pan after the onions, garlic, ginger and spices, but  before the liquids were added and tossed around to coat with the spices.
Crushed tomatoes, and chicken broth added and then into a low oven to slow cook. 

I had planned to cook halibut for dinner last night and didn't. I picked up pizza from Pizzeria Prima Strada.
We don't order take out pizza very often. But when we do it is from this place because of their wood burning oven.
So once again Moe had dinner for breakfast.

269799042_PastawithgrilledHalibutMarch4th20221.thumb.jpg.f56ec0ddf02b5822e64f4ecbc82366f4.jpg
Seasoned and grilled the halibut and served with pasta in a cream based sauce with fresh tomatoes and fresh basil.
Moe loved the pasta and said I can make that any time and he doesn't even need anything else to go with.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

A vegetable and chickpea stew baked all night - eggs, bean curd rolls, carrots, sunchoke, browned onions, mushrooms, sweet potato, kohlrabi, eggplants. Lots of spices.

Spiced rice. Almond slivers, fried shallots, sumac, yogurt, tahini sauce, schug.

Veggies, pickles, olives, ouzo.

PXL_20220226_114115538_MP.thumb.jpg.c46f8cbaf7299103843b5312a9a08bb3.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@DejahNo, those shishitos are from Misfits Market that I order from online.  Sometimes they don't have them.....  Last summer was the first time we ever grew them in the garden and that was only because Ronnie's daughter brought us a whole bunch of plants from the place that she works because the planting season was over.  They did surprisingly well.  That's the first time I've ever seen the plants around here so I'm hoping I can find more for this summer.

• Like 2

„Carbonara“-inspired* spaghetti … with freshly ground Kampot pepper for me and extra Parmigiano for my wife (while the little one is enjoying a short vacation at the German coast with his grand parents) …

41780216-A82F-4590-8AB9-1FAFB0D2A958.thumb.jpeg.e8e566bbca3256c57baead8fb7c28064.jpeg

—-

*Lardons instead of Guanciale …

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Fritatta using good but excessive veg/greens in the crisper. Lots of eggs from the farm share. Bottom crust of mandolin potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Side salad of celery, fennel, red onion, avocado

IMG_2504.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H
spelling (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Was gifted a dozen huge, fresh duck eggs.  Apparently there is such an abundance they feed some of the eggs back to the ducks.  The yolks when broken are almost firm and mailable in texture.  So rich - unreal.  Could nearly not finish the second!  

26360C8A-42B9-4F07-A6BD-213F1D650E20.thumb.jpeg.83f01b2e373dfacec96022a565118c61.jpeg

9ACBA585-4B77-448E-AB86-63A25108F1AD.thumb.jpeg.af4d6ebcee9983d07ec77069339e990a.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Since we both had a heavy lunch, I fixed a light dinner of homemade ham, potato pancakes, broccoli with butter lemon sauce and Texas toast on homemade bread. The ham was almost an experiment because I haven't made it in so long and I only brined about 1 lb. It turned out so well that I wish that I had made more.

20220304_180902.thumb.jpg.f32d94f7549ebf6aac61cd6bd2f1bc3c.jpg

20220304_181005.thumb.jpg.4b1c4e55625bf9bf265d48776e381339.jpg

20220304_103135.thumb.jpg.5635d15656615b05f14d8b222d1239b5.jpg

Oh, and we had apple crisp for dessert.

20220304_165326.thumb.jpg.4fb9b510baa701a8ea033bdfe70efa96.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2