• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I did a lot of frying today so that means I'll have to do a lot of cleaning up later.  I made a copycat recipe for McD fries and a copycat recipe for KFC slaw. I came across an interesting recipe for fried chicken which is half peanut flour and the other half is Wondra.  I used thighs, cut out the bone, butterflied, and trimmed off some of the skin.  We liked it and there was no peanut taste that we could detect.  The only slaw that Charlie likes is KFC and he said it was really good.  I let the fries get a little browner that I should have.  

Frying on Fqt Tuesday!  I'm with Charlie - the only purchased coleslaw I like is KFC. I'd go to a closeby one and drive-thru for a pint to have as a treat. I make several styles but KFC = comfort. Interesting on the peanut flour. Did it lead to more crisp than usual?

• Like 1

It was s-i-l's bday yesterday, so we went out for supper: Joey's Fish'n'Chips. The cod was good, but I chose the Cajun Combo: red snapper and shrimp. It was pretty spicy, and I found the red snapper a tad too fishy for my taste. Calamari was good.

193428662_JoeysCalamari6578.jpg.d6c5a0687ddc7bc2b912e4e74c47647e.jpg

1766692339_JoeysCod6581.jpg.e3fa6f81eeb5556964cd65ef2ddf041f.jpg1533890782_JoeysCajunCombo6580.jpg.a0f4020c3ac7329c2b3bb44e31113534.jpg

Picked up 2 pkgs of lean ground bison at reduced price.  It was finer grind than I would have liked. Had half an apple left from feeding the squirrel, so I grated it into the meat with some fresh thyme and basic seasoning. A tbsp peanut butter added the fat. Grill on stove top cast iron pan. Eaten with Green Peppercorn gravy,  jasmine rice, sauteed peas and beans, and 2 gifts from a friend: Peach an d Jalapeno relish and pickled beets.
                                                                                               5862187_BisonBurger6593.jpg.e7dfe49f09e05540547294e869423cef.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Frying on Fqt Tuesday!  I'm with Charlie - the only purchased coleslaw I like is KFC. I'd go to a closeby one and drive-thru for a pint to have as a treat. I make several styles but KFC = comfort. Interesting on the peanut flour. Did it lead to more crisp than usual?

The chicken was more crispy than usual.  

• Like 1

We are experiencing probably the last cold spell of the year. Days are bright and sunny, and nights are clear and frosty. Befitting the cold, I made some Uyghur polo, a dish made from fatty lamb, onions, carrots and a lot of garlic. All simmered until tender, with rice added midway to absorb all the flavors. It was very tasty and very close to the version I had so often at Pear Garden in Korla

8E48476A-0C0D-4030-BB2B-F1786A82A900.thumb.jpeg.89fa3e1f51fbc47492441b6902017fe9.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

@gfweb and  @Shelby – thank you for the directions for the cauliflower and the beer batter.  I’m thinking of a mashup of the two and adding some cheese sauce for dipping! 😁

@Margaret Pilgrim – your pasties are gorgeous.  That crust is amazing looking.

For the last few years we have given up restaurant dining for Lent and donating what we saved by not eating in and from restaurants to the Food Pantry after Easter.  We find it really meaningful.  Our last restaurant meal this year was Jessica’s favorite Thai place Monday night.  Started with Crab Rangoon and fried wontons:

IMG_8400.thumb.jpg.cdf713565426d7aa82d1463c05f02efe.jpg

IMG_8401.thumb.jpg.a5db37cecdea9754cf22d99b33ebb5f9.jpg

Jessica had Crying Tiger:

IMG_8404.jpg.586a91e2873f63e104d82dbce55397a3.jpg 

and Tom Kha soup:

IMG_8403.jpg.66304b669c535539cf1d28a67cde4f5d.jpg 

I had Pineapple fried rice with shrimp:

IMG_8405.jpg.53f7cd88523280aa7a087ee1831a81bd.jpg 

This is what I’m always aiming for when I try to make pineapple fried rice at home and mine is always too sweet no matter what I do.

Mr. Kim had Massamun curry:

IMG_8402.thumb.jpg.e20b1ef5cc6a52718bd6af21726064ef.jpg 

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Had to get dinner out without too much effort and time in the kitchen today. Cassoulet from a tin, from a trip to France before the pandemic. Insufficient for all of us so I added a couple of slow cooked duck legs as faux confit. Polish breadcrumbs to finish in a hot oven. No pics of the final product as I was too distracted, but it looked pretty much like cassoulet looks. Tasted damn close to what I've had in Paris. I'm looking forward to lunch at work on the remains tomorrow.

IMG_20220302_171553.jpg

IMG_20220302_172641.jpg

IMG_20220302_195013.jpg

Edited by Kerala
phad to had, lunch at work (log)
  • Like 17

On 2/28/2022 at 12:00 AM, gfweb said:

Salmon, charred asparagus and  roasted then batter-fried cauliflower.

20220227_185425.thumb.jpg.9ae943c1a2e02a9cd32764b8263ee1b1.jpg

Is pre-roasting the cauliflower necessary or did you have some roast cauliflower lying around? Sounds delicious..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Is pre-roasting the cauliflower necessary or did you have some roast cauliflower lying around? Sounds delicious..

I tried it on raw cauliflower and it was so wet that it made a soggy coating by giving off steam.  Preroast  dried it out and added flavor.

I'm still not happy with the coating...a thinner batter would help the lightness.  Maybe trisol to add crispness...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mediterranean penne.  Shrimp, Kalamata olives, oregano, shallots, garlic, lemon, in a reduction of white wine, a heaping tablespoon of jarred chimichurri sauce, chicken stock and white wine.  Topped with Panko (pan toasted in olive oil and garlic) and parmesan.  We really liked it but it took longer than I thought it would to get it together.   Maybe it's just old age!

pastamed.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, gulfporter said:

Mediterranean penne.  Shrimp, Kalamata olives, oregano, shallots, garlic, lemon, in a reduction of white wine, a heaping tablespoon of jarred chimichurri sauce, chicken stock and white wine.  Topped with Panko (pan toasted in olive oil and garlic) and parmesan.  We really liked it but it took longer than I thought it would to get it together.   Maybe it's just old age!

pastamed.jpg

I can taste this in my mind and I know it would be fabulous! (And after 35 years of togetherness, when I tell my husband that I can taste something in my mind, he can't fathom what I'm talking about! - same as when I say that I can visualize a room painted in a certain colour. I have chalked it up to the right brain/left brain thing.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We are privy to an impromptu, dinner visit from our oh-so-busy daughter tonight. I made a big pot of chili today so to jazz the meal up a tad, I raided the crisper for an interesting salad. Blanched asparagus, so thin that blanching was probably the best way to go, along with diced, cooked beets and some cherry tomatoes. Made a greek yogurt, grainy mustard dressing. Nothing spectacular, but it looked pretty, so I took a picture. The chili looks like chili.

salad_6753.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

On 3/1/2022 at 7:09 PM, Norm Matthews said:

I did a lot of frying today so that means I'll have to do a lot of cleaning up later.  I made a copycat recipe for McD fries and a copycat recipe for KFC slaw. I came across an interesting recipe for fried chicken which is half peanut flour and the other half is Wondra.  I used thighs, cut out the bone, butterflied, and trimmed off some of the skin.  We liked it and there was no peanut taste that we could detect.  The only slaw that Charlie likes is KFC and he said it was really good.  I let the fries get a little browner that I should have.  

20220301_171359.jpg

For me coleslaw is almost a comfort food.  I made coleslaw tonight.  But I've only been in a KFC once.  What makes KFC coleslaw so special?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Fish and grits and all that... good stuff. Oh yay-er!

Blackened wild grouper and shrimp, Marsh Hen Mill unicorn grits with smoked gouda, grilled pepper melange, and a veloute “gravy” made from a dashi of Benton's bacon and Father's country ham bones. Garnished with scallion and Neuske’s lardon. Collard greens braised in that dashi were served on the side. And yes, I buried the fish under a bunch of garnish. It was stupid good.

7AA6BCEE-84BA-40C3-92D1-0358BFA8E76B.thumb.JPG.34d00870d0c8ff8373a82255b19dd013.JPG

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 4

Pulled a package of siu yook (crispy skin pork that was no longer crispy) and made stir-fried rice cakes (Nian Goh) with Shitaki mushrooms and Nappa cabbage. Good chewiness!

136372839_Stir-friedRiceCakes6602.jpg.5dfae70b2d8e609b4ef61c846faeca76.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For me coleslaw is almost a comfort food.  I made coleslaw tonight.  But I've only been in a KFC once.  What makes KFC coleslaw so special?

Oh comfort here as well The boys (grown men now) still talk about my version including ginger, sesame oil,  alkaline Chinese noodles and grapes. But KFC is not gloppy, nice size shred, a great balance of tart and hint of sweet. There is nothing else there I even remember eating. 

• Thanks 1

When I don't really want to cook (yet I still have to cut up a whole bird)...

IMG_6303.thumb.jpeg.d9fa0716802482033ce0aed2cfe26982.jpeg

Was really quite good once cooked.  Stuff is tossed in duck fat, s & p, herbes de Provence, and sprinkled with pimentón.

1832303277_66795534034__4D88BC2E-2D2B-4206-9F79-BE67A2E51065.fullsizerender2.thumb.jpeg.306fe56b2bd95312ac9108b6de94b1d9.jpeg

One of the frozen vegetables I tend to keep in the freezer (the other being "baby" peas).  These I "braise" on the stovetop, in a little butter, olive oil, and stock. They're quite a good product. (Considering the other night when out to dinner, there were undercooked green beans on my plate. Or shall I say green beans cooked in the California style, meaning not cooked enough).

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

a treat of pasta last night. This was made with peas, prosciutto, shallot a little chicken stock and pasta water and a small romaine sliced thinly and sautéed which was a great addition.

with an albariño

IMG_7126.JPG

IMG_7128.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't know.  I am not a big fan of mayonnaise based coleslaw and my son does not like any coleslaw except KFC.  My impression is that the dressing has less mayo than most and possibly sweeter.  Here is the list of ingredients and the directions are to mix them and refrigerate at least 4 hours.

• 1/2 C. mayo
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/4 C. buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 and 1/2 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar
  • 2 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 medium head of cabbage
  • 1 medium carrot
  • 1/4 medium yellow onion minced
Edited by Norm Matthews (log)