• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

47 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Salmon, charred asparagus and  roasted then batter-fried cauliflower.

Wow on the cauliflower - roasted AND batter fried! I'm in. Have not seen that before.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 8:25 AM, rotuts said:

@cteavin 

interesting .

please offer more detail , if you are able .

You mean about the daikon? Sure. It's maybe the easiest thing you can make. 

You boil the daikon in the starchy water left over from cooking until soft, about 46 minutes. Take 1 cup of dashi, 1 teaspoon of starch and tablespoon of water to make a slurry and add that to the dashi to make the sauce. Serve. 😉

32 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Seemed like a good idea 🙂

Needs some work...parmesian perhaps?

I cannot think of many things Parm won’t improve.

as an aside, I had a great panini which had been buttered, dredged in grated parm, and then grilled. Delicious!

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My wife and I took a road trip to a seafood shop in Elizabethtown, KY yesterday.  Got crawfish, shrimp and trigger fish. All super fresh and tasty. Sooooo, seafood gumbo.

20220227_181426.jpg

20220227_203432.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

14 hours ago, cteavin said:

Sure! Thanks for asking. 

Think of the tofu as a mince into which you add half as much (by volume) minced vegetables, herbs and flavorings and bind it together with cornstarch. Press that into a pan to get the shape then cut them as you like. At this point you can bake them (but they'll be a bit dry). Better, coat them with a spray oil and bake them or deep fry them. To add texture and more flavor, bread them as you would chicken and do the same. 

I make versions of this all year for a quick snack/dinner -- variations are endless and depend on what's in season. 😉

I made this the other day from them 😁 and the photo came out well so I used it to update the video I made on them in YouTube. My channel is 'Made By You and I', if you're interested. 

Japanese tofu 25.png

Thank you! I watched your video and was mesmerized. I never in a million years would have thought of mixing diced vegetables with tofu and then making shapes the way you did. Is this something you learned about in Japan? 

• Like 2

I had wild mushroom lasagna on last night's menu, but did not feel like assembling it, so instead I made roasted wild mushroom rigatoni with truffled cream sauce.  The mushrooms were black oyster mushrooms from my mushroom share supplement to my farm share.  

1339890579_rigatoniwithmushrooms.thumb.jpg.d22432f0aae7f37c3c5497ce719f5628.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

6 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Thank you! I watched your video and was mesmerized. I never in a million years would have thought of mixing diced vegetables with tofu and then making shapes the way you did. Is this something you learned about in Japan? 

You know, I don't recall if I learned it from someone or came up with it myself -- I've been making those for a while. 😆 I love tofu, so I'm really good with it. 😉 I'm glad you enjoyed the video. You're in Seattle, right? Oh, I bet you could find some tofu and give these your own spin. 

Have a great day! 

• Like 3

Had our month's quota for salt in our supper last night. What is meant to be a thrifty food item is quite expensive  (according to my Mom) for my family. This was just for hubby and myself last night - 3 pieces of wind dried salted / fermented croaker with ginger and lean ground pork. When the kids are here, we can  consume the whole fish as everyone wanted their own piece!
Ham Yu steamed with ground pork and ginger. Eaten with copious amounts of rice and bok choy.

1075924000_PorkHamYU6573.jpg.27ad4b765b55e9d1f3eabe18226db53f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@liamsaunt – thank you!  I think we’ll be having the fish this Friday.  All three of us are really looking forward to it.

@Shelby – So glad you liked the chicken.  We even thought it was good reheated.  The batter that you have on your catfish and shrimp looks wonderful!  Can I have the recipe for that?

@Norm Matthews – I’m actually a big fan of sweet salads like your grape salad.  I’ll be making that!

@gfweb – that battered cauliflower looks incredible.  It reminds me of a appetizer that we used to get when we lived in Indiana.  It was bite sized portions of cheesy cauliflower batter dipped and deep fried.  Would you share the recipe?

Breakfast for dinner the other night:

IMG_8323.jpg.04d7ded5fe2b4ce8d1580860846733d7.jpg

Served with Shelby’s white bread, toasted.  Such great bread. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Simple supper...

1146879287_IMG_6280(1).thumb.jpeg.10d54ab8b846d8c26c16bed3c8995e6f.jpeg

Rancho Gordo's King City Pink bean and vegetable soup, sprinkled with Parmesan. Some rinds were used in the making of soup.  Side salad. Good bread, butter.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Kim Shook the cauliflower was improvised. Chunks of cauliflower were roasted at 375 for about 40 min till browned and a little dried out.  Batter that was basically thick pancake batter with salt and pimenton was poured over mounds of the cauli in a sheet pan, slid into the oil with a big spatula and pan fried till brown and crispy. Took a minute or two.

It was nice and I'd repeat it, but it needs some work.  Maybe tempura batter or add parm...or trisol to raise the crispness

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@liamsaunt – thank you!  I think we’ll be having the fish this Friday.  All three of us are really looking forward to it.

@Shelby – So glad you liked the chicken.  We even thought it was good reheated.  The batter that you have on your catfish and shrimp looks wonderful!  Can I have the recipe for that?

@Norm Matthews – I’m actually a big fan of sweet salads like your grape salad.  I’ll be making that!

@gfweb – that battered cauliflower looks incredible.  It reminds me of a appetizer that we used to get when we lived in Indiana.  It was bite sized portions of cheesy cauliflower batter dipped and deep fried.  Would you share the recipe?

Breakfast for dinner the other night:

IMG_8323.jpg.04d7ded5fe2b4ce8d1580860846733d7.jpg

Served with Shelby’s white bread, toasted.  Such great bread. 

Sure!  Batter is a beer batter.  

Equal parts of flour and cornstarch--I usually do 1\2 a cup each

Season--I like to use Lawry's salt, but plain salt is great or you could do something like a Cajun seasoning

Drizzle beer in --I like a lighter beer ...we usually have Bud Light around so that's my normal.  Pour the beer in a little at a time until you can drag a fork through and it leaves a faint trail on the surface.

Edited to say--I bet the chicken is good the next day...but I wouldn't know because we ate it all 😄

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, Dejah said:

That is a gorgeous sear! How!?

@Dejah,  nothing special. Just make sure that the scallops are patted dry.  Really dry.  Then I just season with salt, pepper and sear in a hot

pan with a little olive oil and butter.  They take just a minute or so to brown and the same for the second side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of this week's fish from the fish share was dabs--they are like tiny flounders.  I made them under the broiler with lemon butter again, but this time I used a nut sprinkle instead of breadcrumbs.  It was equally tasty.  Served with rice pilaf, spinach and more of the seemingly endless supply of carrots that I have in the crisper drawer.  

1412780559_broileddabs.thumb.jpg.01f57694d947b89ae7cfd2195d5c32af.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Homemade Philly steak sandwiches 

thumbnail_IMG_2016.jpg.2e9c4a62f02187ef1fc2eb1ba2e6df71.jpg

The usual shishitos and fries

thumbnail_IMG_2017.jpg.abeebfa8959cb8a8950518a0512d4d53.jpg

and a pasta salad that was just ok....it was better after a night in the fridge, but it still needed something

thumbnail_IMG_2015.jpg.57737974c37785b25dbbbbe3a5f51e50.jpg

Last night

Hot wings, romanesco and Mac and cheese

thumbnail_IMG_2018.jpg.aec75dff0860e32b94a7449903a5de77.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2019.jpg.8e9739b0538b26e6a5f9388ef57bab14.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2020.jpg.a4d43efa897405210ea75d93fcdd0c62.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

I did a lot of frying today so that means I'll have to do a lot of cleaning up later.  I made a copycat recipe for McD fries and a copycat recipe for KFC slaw. I came across an interesting recipe for fried chicken which is half peanut flour and the other half is Wondra.  I used thighs, cut out the bone, butterflied, and trimmed off some of the skin.  We liked it and there was no peanut taste that we could detect.  The only slaw that Charlie likes is KFC and he said it was really good.  I let the fries get a little browner that I should have.  

20220301_171359.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3