• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

12 hours ago, Honkman said:

Pasta with green vegetables stew - made with asparagus, snap peas, baby frisee lettuce, celery, peas, onion, garlic, lemon zest and pancetta. Pasta wasn’t cooked separately but in the stew which gives the sauce a nice texture

C0B5536B-FD68-419F-BF69-FED2D0E1259B.thumb.jpeg.2d233733c6214491fbb617af2a2968f2.jpeg

Are you perhaps seriusly longing for spring? Nice dish.

• Like 3

I was looking around for some idea for dinner when I saw this for Salisbury steak.  It looked good and simple to make.  I can't remember if I've ever made it before.  Charlie said he wouldn't mind me making this again.  He said he used to get them in frozen dinners and make sandwiches with the meat. 

20220216_164815.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

56 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I was looking around for some idea for dinner when I saw this for Salisbury steak.  It looked good and simple to make.  I can't remember if I've ever made it before.  Charlie said he wouldn't mind me making this again.  He said he used to get them in frozen dinners and make sandwiches with the meat. 

20220216_164815.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. When I was a kid and we raised beef, we had lots of ground beef. This was a family favourite but I haven't made it in years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thanks for the reminder. When I was a kid and we raised beef, we had lots of ground beef. This was a family favourite but I haven't made it in years.

I only know it from Hungry Man Dinners my ex would buy for a craving (I did not partake).  Here is a blast from the eGullet past https://forums.egullet.org/topic/139067-dr-salisbury-and-his-steak/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Found a small bag of counrty-style pork ribs from last spring. Cooked them up with Meen See (brown bean sauce)in the IP.
Most of the pieces were lovely. A few had no fat - tender but dry. The sauce is so good on the rice!

Eaten with bok choy and jasmine rice.

1520776544_MeenSeeribs6485.jpg.d424cc864b2e31616b5688758cfe2d98.jpg       1711910440_BokChoy6486.jpg.aaea3a31baa32bb4a84b2464b6d409c7.jpg

Another Alberta Clipper = more snow last  night and all day today. Had thawed a chicken and had a hard time deciding how to cook it. Finally back to aquafit at the Y, so I was really tired. That made my decision on the chicken easier: soy sauce chicken simmering while I had a nap.           

2138375160_Soysaucechicken6488.jpg.2253ff697b0eb728c77df4d3d53304f4.jpg     337508850_Soysaucechickenbite6491.jpg.c0bebb48834a4b6b27fa4daaea777900.jpg    
                                                                                          Love the fragrance and flavour of the star anise. cloves, cinnamon bark     

• Like 18
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Tried a new-ish sushi place last night. It's a few minutes walk away.  

100736261_ChirashiGouie02-16-22.thumb.jpeg.3d498d244d247e4e933a71abcc0c9855.jpeg

Significant Eater enjoyed this chirashi, while I opted for a few a la carte items, including a very good black cod roll. And a fair bit of sake.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I still had a small turkey in the freezer, bought fresh for Christmas and then stuck in the freezer after the accident.
Left it in the freezer to defrost and then presalted it on Tuesday and roasted it last night for dinner.
1468652008_RoastTurkeyDinnerFebruary16th2022.thumb.jpg.18a4d51dc1589d9a2d62065238665906.jpg

All the traditional sides. Dressing baked separately, mashed potatoes and gravy, rutabaga and Brussels spouts.
Moe had a roast turkey sandwich with dressing on white bread for breakfast and I'm taking the same to work for lunch.
The carcass and legs are on simmering this morning for broth to become soup,
and the remaining breast and leftover gravy is destined for hot turkey sandwiches tomorrow.
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 7

I prepared a huge pot of Kharcho, but then felt it would be better the next day. Which presented a welcome excuse to get a Döner …

Döner from „my“ trusted Döner shop in the next town. Buying Döner actually is a matter of trust: proper quality meat, consistent spicing, freshness … one can hide a lot of shortcomings in a Döner skewer, and many do, so having a good shop close to me is important to me. You can find the definition of Döner in a German context here.

Döner (whole stacked veal slices, no minced meat, minimum spices, properly browned)

6D5C7B1C-4A2B-4099-9261-760AEB158AB9.thumb.jpeg.54424a737f6a6547ecd7ef5048d78231.jpeg

Iskender Kebap*: same Döner meat, layered on roasted cubed flatbread, topped with thick yoghurt, bit of tomato sauce and molten butter - my favorite !

268F49C7-A611-4862-84B8-BB3CCBCB1B5F.thumb.jpeg.19667fb49b75badb966814b8ed3061c1.jpeg

___
* sorry for the crappy picture - family had already indulged.

• Like 15
  • Delicious 6

45 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I prepared a huge pot of Kharcho,

I had to look it up on Google and when I found this recipe it looks good. Is it anything like yours? And do you think I could make it with pork. Our beef down here is terrible and it takes about 4 hours of stewing just to get it edible.

A quick weeknight puttanesca. Could have gone in any direction. Two thawed Baldor merguez lamb links. I wanted a ramen bowl but pasta won. That is fine as all any quickie is good. A half pound of pasta does give a next day lunch. All from Misfits except the 'Whole Foods'. The penne from the 'penny shop'. The Rao's is good. A bit thick but sturdy. 

Quick separate sauté of mixed veg. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 11.52.39 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Döner from „my“ trusted Döner shop in the next town.

Looking on their menu they have “Doener gross” and “Doener big” - both are with salad and sauce - so is the “gross” German size big and the other one “American” size big ?

Edited by Honkman (log)
  • Like 1

@btbyrd – your teppanyaki looks excellent.  I would much rather have yours than a restaurant’s. 

@Norm Matthews– Salisbury steak is an old favorite for me.  I also confess to liking it done with cubed steak.  Your gravy looks so dark and rich!  Now I’m craving that!

@Ann_T – One of my favorite meals!  Between your turkey meal and Norm’s Salisbury steak, I’m craving GRAVY😁!

Jessica was pet sitting during the Super Bowl, so we had our football feast Tuesday night while watching a movie.  Chippy dip:

IMG_8251.jpg.39befdce17f3823402dc030c667e20b2.jpg 

Crudites:

IMG_8252.jpg.8aef63a461db6ef4e11049c64cbd64bf.jpg

With the bell peppers properly segregated 😄 .

Jessica’s Surimi casserole w/ wonton wrap chips and some Asian salad:

IMG_8253.jpg.8bb8d5b9be9e5d64ab55919c9e6154b5.jpg 

She cut up the surimi smaller for this so that we could eat it like a dip.

“Totchos”:

IMG_8254.jpg.442cb62b4409dfd36a3f8988803bd38f.jpg 

Made with tots, cheese, Mr. Kim’s BBQ, and BBQ sauce.

Hot Swiss and bacon dip:

IMG_8255.jpg.c9d04f8f4f3300580d1268b94003024f.jpg

Chex mix:

IMG_8231.thumb.jpg.05c4c816b25a980a4d0b6faaa5f0b40b.jpg 

Last night was leftovers.  Mr. Kim’s:

IMG_8256.jpg.39ac1688739140fedc9a1e86455fb40a.jpg 

Steak reheated in the CSO on bake/steam with bearnaise, Ukrops’ (local prepared food store – used to be a beloved grocery store) Duchess potatoes, and corn.  Mine:

IMG_8257.thumb.jpg.2da0573b4e6afb9736e97f0b3da6542f.jpg

Jessica’s surimi casserole w/ wonton chips. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

30 minutes ago, Honkman said:

Looking on their menu they have “Doener gross” and “Doener big” - both are with salad and sauce - so is the “gross” German size big and the other one “American” size big ?

Pretty much. „Döner groß“ is pretty much universal a quarter of a large flatbread stuffed with plenty of meat. You‘ll find that basically any Döner shop as the standard. There is usually no „regular“ size; girls and kids go for the „Döner klein“. The „Döner Big“ uses a slightly smaller flatbread, but half of it and is stuffed with a ginormous amount of meat. It could be considered „US size“, but I guess that they use the term „big“ because „groß“ was taken, as was „Spezial“, so its the next best thing to describe the next larger size. I do like Döner, and the meat in particular, but for me with the amount of meat stuffed in the bread the ratio is off a bit in that one. 

Edited by Duvel (log)

39 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I had to look it up on Google and when I found this recipe it looks good. Is it anything like yours? And do you think I could make it with pork. Our beef down here is terrible and it takes about 4 hours of stewing just to get it edible.

I do like it with lamb the most, actually, and will post a picture tomorrow, recipe too, if you are interested. It is a well spiced, fairly „strong“ tasting soup and with that being said I would not hesitate to make it with pork if the other meats would be unavailable*. Concerning the stewing part - my recipe uses ground lamb (or beef) because thats the version I tried first, so it is not an issue.

—-

*And as Georgia has been scrapped from this year’s travel destinations I don’t have to fear the wrath of some Georgian grandmas for lack of authenticity. And neither should you 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@btbyrd – your teppanyaki looks excellent.  I would much rather have yours than a restaurant’s. 

@Norm Matthews– Salisbury steak is an old favorite for me.  I also confess to liking it done with cubed steak.  Your gravy looks so dark and rich!  Now I’m craving that!

@Ann_T – One of my favorite meals!  Between your turkey meal and Norm’s Salisbury steak, I’m craving GRAVY😁!

Thanks.  I suspect it looks that way because part of the gravy was made with two cans of French Onion Soup.  When I was younger and more opinionated, I doubt I would have made this or any recipe with canned soup in it. 🙂

I think it is so dark is because it has two cans of French Onion soup in it. When I was younger and more opinionated, I doubt I would have made any recipe with a can of soup in it. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yesterday at the store to get stuff to make yesterdays dinner, I saw a 2 1/2 lb. package of pork shoulder.  It is very seldom sold in such a small package, but I thought it would be a great size to make Carnitas without having a ton of leftovers. ( BTW 2 1/2 pounds of pork cost 50 cents less that one pound of hamburger. )  One of Charlies friends from his low rider car club was going to be here for dinner so we had Carnitas Tacos. There were jalapeños and salsa that were not in the pictures. 

20220217_162712.jpg

20220217_163037.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

Fridge/freezer dive and cleanse => seared boneless chicken thigh chunks, leftover cooked corn, jarred red pepper, onion, remaining half can chicken broth, splat of Salvadorian crema, dash of chili powder, spoon of street taco sauce, cilantro and scallions.    Remarkably delicious and tasting like something "real".

1237880018_ScreenShot2022-02-17at5_10_05PM.thumb.png.f229e8fb8524d4e8d0b8d7b74a84643f.png

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Chicken tinga tacos with pineapple-avocado salsa.  The cheese sauce on the bottom is from a large batch in my freezer that I have been trying to use up (and am finally almost done with).  It has roasted poblanos, sharp (orange) cheddar, garlic, and cumin, plus some American for the meltability factor.  I cannot even remember what I originally made it for at this point, but will be glad to have the freezer space back.  

tinga2.thumb.jpg.2488f2aa32c807d2e57726bee4441e36.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

Digging through the freezer, I'd found a package of Wagyu beef short ribs (from Regalis). Marinated for a few hours in soy, dark soy, sesame oil, garlic, vinegar, scallions, etc.  Cranked up the broiler, which actually works well in our range...

1148985721_Wagyubeefshortribsaftergrill02-17-22.thumb.jpeg.0db0417337070ba065a282fa4e95c75d.jpeg

3 minutes a side and done.

88170232_Beefwagyushortribsgrilled02-17-22.thumb.jpeg.4181229d4af9b7a1b188c70a2d81cd28.jpeg

Served with rice and stir-fried Szechuan style (hot & sour) cabbage. Damn - these were good.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?