• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Super Bowl  Ceviche

51882315471_2a6fa65c42_z.jpg

Meyer Lemon/limes/Cara cara  Marinade

Celery/Red Onion/ cucmber/ seranno/ tomato/ celery leaf and cilatro..a bit of Catsup and dried mustard--Tropicana w/pulp

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Its good to have Morels

Valentine's Day meal

Some lovely beef filets

thumbnail_IMG_1952.jpg.290c1887a5910782c8214b032eba8bdd.jpg

It was decent outside so Ronnie grilled them.  Along with salad and lobster Mac and cheese

thumbnail_IMG_1951.jpg.028510cebbdaed216a7a234267c4af0c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1953.jpg.15fd72160d284255b3daa0b003632031.jpg

And some chocolates (that don't look near as pretty as the ones people make around here!)

thumbnail_IMG_1955.jpg.0d52041f4dd80bd7d68f1ac037f70c1c.jpg

• Like 21
  • Delicious 2

@Duvel – your pides are things of beauty.  I wish I could find them somewhere.  I tried to make them once and wasn’t successful.  I’m also intrigued with doner turkey! 

@Dejah – love the look of your shrimp and grits.  I like that there don’t seem to be any peppers. 

@Shelby – I would LOVE to sit down to your turkey dinner.  The skin on that leg quarter is amazing!

@MaryIsobel – I’m really funny with textures, too.  No cream of wheat, cream of rice, Maypo, oatmeal, congee, etc.  But I really like both grits and polenta.  So, worth a try, I guess!

@CantCookStillTry – thank you so much for sharing your story and your meal with us.  I am unashamedly fond of canned spaghetti – I’ve never outgrown that.  And I love the stories that are attached to the foods we eat.  It is my favorite part of eG.  I’ve been spending a lot of time in the last few days on the “How we ate growing up” thread and am loving it. 

On Sunday we were supposed to have a gameday feast, but Jessica ended up pet sitting for whackaloons that basically expected her to be there 24/7 – for CATS🙄!  So, we are having that when she comes home today.  Mr. Kim and I snacked on cheese and crackers and cookies from coffee hour at church (I was one of the hostesses this morning) and the Chex mix I made:

Voila!  Dinner!😁

Last night I let Mr. Kim choose Valentine’s dinner - strip steaks, buttered corn, and @Marlene’s Crispy Smashed Potatoes.  I added béarnaise and we picked up dessert at Fresh Market and Kroger.  I did the steaks SV – 130F for 2 1/2 hours.  Mr. Kim seared them on the gas grill burner in an iron skillet:

1890846719_IMG_8237-Copy.jpg.0d61dbee9c7b20691c109c1d4a1e4b51.jpg

708816330_IMG_8238-Copy.jpg.5288ff67f6de8fef82768790617044f6.jpg 

They were perfectly cooked for us and very tender:

1000533823_IMG_8241-Copy.jpg.5630ba608faa44e3595139b98e5162da.jpg 

I also served a baguette - just because we needed a THIRD carb:

1794607921_IMG_8236-Copy.jpg.61d7b19e5897ef838a4ced9bdee4a125.jpg

😁

The desserts:

1036657766_IMG_8242-Copy.jpg.58268d05c6dca9bd70a1e9bc9f0efe5f.jpg

The bar cake and ricotta cheesecake were Fresh Market and the strawberries from Kroger.  And, as much as we want it to not be true, we just can’t get great strawberries in the middle of February in VA☹️. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

On 2/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, liamsaunt said:

Lightly blackened grouper tacos

You’d think by now I would know most of the popular preparations … 

I always wondered why people would actually point out that they “blackened” their food - besides literally everytime hearing Metallica’s “Blackened” in my head when I read this I was somewhat positive that it means “charred”. But when I read that even @liamsaunt seemingly blackens on purpose I decided to google it. Who knew* ? Another eGullet moment for me …

—-

* besides all of you, of course. But I am trying to make a point here 😝

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I always wondered why people would actually point out that they “blackened” their food - besides literally everytime hearing Metallica’s “Blackened” in my head when I read this I was somewhat positive that it means “charred”. But when I read that even @liamsaunt seemingly blackens on purpose I decided to google it. Who knew* ? Another eGullet moment for me …

—-

The first time my husband saw blackened halibut on a menu, he asked the waiter what that was. The waiter stammered "uh, they just kind of burn the spices on there." Hopefully he came up with a better explanation eventually. Someone at the table next to us overheard and when the waiter left, they explained that blackened is no more burnt than a well seared steak is, so my husband ordered it and it remains one of his favourite treatments for halibut.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When we were young peeps, we were traditionally allowed to pick out our birthday meals. I remember vividly choosing canned ravioli, Vienna sausage, (canned). And DintyMooreBeefStew. 🤢. Served on fine china. CaptianCrunch for breakfast. Siblings would always try and play cards for their favorites. "I won't beat you up if you get pop tarts". Blueberry, no icing. 

Good grief if I ever get the flu again. Horrid flu in my early thirties all I wanted was DintyMoore. Sent DH out for 6 cans. Smells like old dog balls. 

Thankfully these days a good miso soup works wonders like the day after my booster. 

My first and second vaccines were mild. But I ordered Rappa Scrapple from my hometown. 

We had rice and RG beans last night. Left over chicken drumsticks. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

—-

I think a large part of the population sees Paul Prudhomme smiling cherubic face when they read or hear "blackened fish" https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11612-paul-prudhommes-blackened-redfish

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

When we were young peeps, we were traditionally allowed to pick out our birthday meals. I remember vividly choosing canned ravioli, Vienna sausage, (canned). And DintyMooreBeefStew. 🤢. Served on fine china. CaptianCrunch for breakfast. Siblings would always try and play cards for their favorites. "I won't beat you up if you get pop tarts". Blueberry, no icing. 

Good grief if I ever get the flu again. Horrid flu in my early thirties all I wanted was DintyMoore. Sent DH out for 6 cans. Smells like old dog balls. 

Thankfully these days a good miso soup works wonders like the day after my booster. 

My first and second vaccines were mild. But I ordered Rappa Scrapple from my hometown. 

We had rice and RG beans last night. Left over chicken drumsticks. 

On the odd occaision that my Dad was in charge of dinner for us kids, it was inevitably canned meatballs; dog food comes to mind... It's funny, he is in long term care now and complains endlessly about the food. I remind him that he used to eat canned meatballs, oh, and canned "corned beef!" Again, better suited to canines in my opinion, except for the extremely high sodium content.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Teppanyaki trio! On our first Valentine's Day, my wife and I went on a date to a chain teppanyaki place. It's become one of our traditions, but with COVID and a new baby at home, going out to eat wasn't on our menu this year. So I broke out my Blackstone flat top and we did teppanyaki at home.

teppanyaki1.thumb.jpg.7516e4bb68de745745236d77cf2ea86e.jpg

teppanyaki3.thumb.jpg.86cc1bb91200518742da97945ee42af2.jpg

I wish my eyes weren't so dead in this pic, but whatever. I was approximately 3 Wild Turkey 101 beverages in at this point, and was trying to flex Iron Chef style.

Teppanyaki2.thumb.jpg.f3f0c2f29bfe5090f7b17c1faac8753e.jpg

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Teppanyaki trio! On our first Valentine's Day, my wife and I went on a date to a chain teppanyaki place. It's become one of our traditions, but with COVID and a new baby at home, going out to eat wasn't on our menu this year. So I broke out my Blackstone flat top and we did teppanyaki at home.

I wish my eyes weren't so dead in this pic, but whatever. I was approximately 3 Wild Turkey 101 beverages in at this point, and was trying to flex Iron Chef style.

Your eyes don't look dead, they look focused!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

What, no onion volcano?

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, gfweb said:

IIRC blackened redfish almost caused the decline of the species in the Gulf

It is mentioned in the article. So much trending pre social media!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Your eyes don't look dead, they look focused!!

More "watching you babe". Beautiful effort. We will NOT laugh when/if your babe >>> toddler enters a white food only phase ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

Lovely menu and such a sweet back story. You are allowed to have dead eyes when you have a baby in the house!

• Haha 1