• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Back to a night in Singapore because the Superbowl is a good excuse to make wings (roughly $3/lb from Wild Fork) that have been in my freezer for a month or so. And of course, since I already made the chilli sauce, chicken rice.

20220213_191054.thumb.jpg.795f78edb490457bdc2ba7239677ff64.jpg

20220213_193803_HDR.thumb.jpg.8fc236e446aa3beac8e49ad2271cb9b4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

15 minutes ago, Dante said:

Bridies (beef pies with oats in) and roast cauliflower with buttermilk curry sauce.

I have been Scottish all my long life, have eaten a zillion bridies and have never seen or heard of bridies containing oats.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I have been Scottish all my long life, have eaten a zillion bridies and have never seen or heard of bridies containing oats.

From distant memories of eating bridies, I recall them being more like Cornish pasties made with puff pastry. Possibly lower-quality meat and fewer vegetables too.

13 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

From distant memories of eating bridies, I recall them being more like Cornish pasties made with puff pastry. Possibly lower-quality meat and fewer vegetables too.

I won't agree lower quality (depending where they came from) but certainly fewer vegetables. While some are made with puff pastry, Forfar bridies, the original and in my opinion best, use a shortcrust pastry.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 hours ago, kayb said:

when you buy grouper, do you find it fresh and just flown in? I’ve tried bringing it back from the Gulf Coast, on ice in a cooler, and find if I don’t cook it the night I get home, it’s just not good. And I’ve never been successful freezing it.

I normally do not have access to grouper.  This was flown in from Florida and was being unpacked at Eataly while I was there. Unlike the rotten cockles they sold me, this was impeccably fresh.  I am still mad at them about the cockles though 🙃

Two flatbread pizzas last night.  Margharita

1502777796_margaritapizza.thumb.jpg.e87bab8580e8ea81cb2cfdf8d53913c6.jpg

Black pearl mushrooms, pea shoots and taleggio

1411730860_mushroompizza.thumb.jpg.3face9d54a8e8b62096a5b2b16d3369f.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Had a package of venison burger thawed out that needed to be used so I made more meatballs.  And, since it had been a while, fresh pasta.  

IMG_1927.thumb.jpg.26a087294ce08984d8bd904a01ef22eb.jpg

IMG_1926.thumb.jpg.51221862c2e65dd7223e6391d784b04f.jpg

Got a lot of little sweet peppers from Misfits this week so I was looking for ways to use them.  Ran across a recipe for a salad.  Slice the peppers and some red onion thinly.  Dress with fresh dill, salt, pepper, a bit of vinegar and some olive oil.  Really good.

IMG_E1925.thumb.jpg.d5a10ee3333f813142b5a4cbb0cc1316.jpg

Dinner--with the non-acceptable garlic bread on the side 🤣

IMG_E1928.thumb.jpg.307022222a3f100f84afa3052659eb5a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

^Homemade pasta, 😍

A bit of a repeat but second times the charm. I was more prepared this time. Sharpened my boning knife. Frenched/lolipopped chicken legs. DH jumped in to see what the cussing was about the first time. He failed but gets it now. Goes swiftly once a system is in place. 

They had some dry time in the fridge before boning and a few more hours more after with a dry/rub-brine. A bit fussy in the prep but once in the oven they don't need any turning. Standing up they cook even. On a summer smoker/grill that would be a plus. 

Red sauce was 1/2 pint of a master ramen broth from the freezer. A tBsp of sauce from a can of chipotle. Last minute greek yogurt gorgonzola romano sauce thinned with rice wine vinegar and a Meyer lemon. 

We snacked on a big brunch salad platter of paté, greens, quick pickles, slaw, and some cheeses, prosciutto, crackers. 

This was perfect at kick-off. 

IMG_2424.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Chicken legs with Italian herbs and panko crumbs, sprayed with Pam, baked in the oven  with a sweet tater. Shanghai bak choy always welcomed!

1650958368_OvenBakedChickenSweettatersBokChoy6472.jpg.983bb17f85003f49abc877641aee9bb3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Oh, here is a good pic tutorial. For those of us non-chefs. Frenched chicken legs

I found cutting low on the bone twice around cutting all the tendons before proceeding---the paper towels are key. DH struggled a bit not comprehending the importance of paper towels. They are velcro on chicken skin. One roll lasts us months being a cotton cloth family, 🙄.

Anywho, if I get legs and wings in future farm share boxes---no need to go into stocks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I won't agree lower quality (depending where they came from) but certainly fewer vegetables. While some are made with puff pastry, Forfar bridies, the original and in my opinion best, use a shortcrust pastry.

Please forgive my ignorance- All I know is what the recipe said:  https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/bridies-recipe  

(I'm a bit biased when it comes to King Arthur stuff as I live a couple of miles down the road from the bakery)

• Like 4

Valentine's Day supper. Didn't know whether I'd be able to manage it after my first time back to aquafit following an absence of 3 months!

Strip loin steak, Panko-crusted scallops, baked tater and sauteed veg. Durian pancakes for dessert!

1098465310_SteakScallops6477.jpg.20a5833fa5ef891725d224df849b06ca.jpg

960995574_DurianPancakes6481.jpg.a9eaa9b2111d0d5989613202733428ce.jpg

And my reward!
                                                                                                2042491952_HappyValentinesBouquet6470.jpg.842b31159446842444c40f04617003b7.jpg     

• Like 10

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ok fair warning. This is not gourmet (I know I never am but - this is heart food not .. well whatever). 

So my Nanny was a WWII teenager and a lot of her recipes were thrifty and she viewed the microwave like the marvel it was back then until the day she died. Roast shoulder of lamb was a treat on odd Sundays and the leftovers were often turned in to "Sgetti Pie" for us grand kids during the week. 

Left over roast lamb was minced with bread to bulk, fried with an onion, add water and an oxo cube, poured into pyrex, topped with tinned spaghetti, and microwaved, served with mash usually. 

My valentines is also her death anniversary and I had left over roast beef and memories and a kinda sorta copy. Plus hub was at work so no need for steak and romance.

Roast Beef (Topside). 

20220213_130536.thumb.jpg.a7794fa447e9565e90aadc7523a889c2.jpg

I added a grated carrot and garlic to the original mince mix but thats about it. Chucked it in nannys enamel (I decided to bake not microwave). Topped with Heinz Spaghetti before baking (I warned you!). 

20220215_185139.thumb.jpg.056242479feadde54925e3de6acd3988.jpg

And Voila!. Sgetti Pie with Peas for my boy. Looks like sh!t tastes like memories.

20220215_185119.thumb.jpg.278b5491fafdc02d6df3852eb57537bc.jpg

Memories I'm not sure the kid wanted 😂

Tldr: Got sentimental. Cooked. Prepared to be judged 😂

Edited by CantCookStillTry
R to f (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

EZ Valentine's meal.  

Bought a bottle of Patricia Quintana's Adobo de Ciruela (plum sauce, spiked with ancho chile, etc.).  Used half the bottle to marinate boneless thighs for a few hours; reduced the rest of it to make a slurry for the plate.  Grilled the chicken and got a good char thanks to the marinade.  

DH made corn and black bean salad...he has returned as my sous chef, just 1 week after his total hip replacement!  

plumchicken.jpg

adobo de ciruela.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3