• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Random memory provoked by this post. When our daughters were about 6, we went to a golf club Mother's Day brunch. One daughter came back with a dinner plate piled high with nothing but bacon... I did serve bacon occaisionally at home, but normaly two slices per person. We were all gobsmacked, but we had explained the concept of a buffet prior to arriving and had said "there is lots of great food and you can take anything you like, as long as you can eat it all." Our bad. We let her have a few piecs and then divied it up amongst the table and encouraged her to go back for fruit. She did - taking full advantage of the chocolate fountain. Oy!

Unsupervised children will be given a plate of bacon and a kitten 🐱 

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I made chili for dinner and while it was cooking, I made Scotch eggs for snacks  for the next few days.  They were baked instead of fried.

20220211_163240.jpg

20220211_163251.jpg

Would love to have your recipe for baked Scotch Eggs. My husband in particular would be eternally grateful!

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Would love to have your recipe for baked Scotch Eggs. My husband in particular would be eternally grateful!

Glad to give it to you.  I found the recipe in an Irish pub food magazine at the grocery check-out line.

Scotch Eggs   From Irish Pub Food ©2021

10 eggs, divided

2 T. vegetable oil

1 1/2 C panko bread crumbs

1 lb. bulk breakfast sausage  (I always need more than a pound for that many eggs)

1/4 C thinly sliced green onions

3/4 C AP flour

2 T. whole grain mustard

1. preheat oven to 400º
  2. hard cook 8 eggs ( I steam them)
  3. heat oil In med. skillet over med. heat. Add panko; cook about 8 minutes or until toasted and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove and allow to cool.
  4. Combine sausage and green onions. Place flour in another bowl 
  5. add mustard to two  lightly beaten eggs in another bowl 
  6. divide sausage into 8, spread out and wrap sausage around each egg. roll each sausage in flour then in egg/ mustard mixture.  Roll in Panko crumbs.  
  7. Place on lined cooking sheet and bake 16 to 18 minutes.  Drain well on paper towels. Serve warm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Glad to give it to you.  I found the recipe in an Irish pub food magazine at the grocery check-out line.

Scotch Eggs   From Irish Pub Food ©2021

10 eggs, divided

2 T. vegetable oil

1 1/2 C panko bread crumbs

1 lb. bulk breakfast sausage  (I always need more than a pound for that many eggs)

1/4 C thinly sliced green onions

3/4 C AP flour

2 T. whole grain mustard

1. preheat oven to 400º
  2. hard cook 8 eggs ( I steam them)
  3. heat oil In med. skillet over med. heat. Add panko; cook about 8 minutes or until toasted and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove and allow to cool.
  4. Combine sausage and green onions. Place flour in another bowl 
  5. add mustard to two  lightly beaten eggs in another bowl 
  6. divide sausage into 8, spread out and wrap sausage around each egg. roll each sausage in flour then in egg/ mustard mixture.  Roll in Panko crumbs.  
  7. Place on lined cooking sheet and bake 16 to 18 minutes.  Drain well on paper towels. Serve warm.

Thanks so much! My Dad always loved Scotch Eggs that my aunt used to make for him. She deepfried them, not my thing but when I can visit him again, I will take him your baked version.

• Like 1

Made the Weight Watcher friendly cabbage rolls tonight. Ground turkey and brown rice. Didn't salt the turkey/onion/garlic mixture because I had the idea of adding some Better Than Bouillon Beef to try to amp up the flavour of ground turkey. It worked. Picture is sad, I know, but it all tasted good. Instapot beets with balsamic and the cream on the side was Greek yogurt, scallions and dill.

dinner_6643.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Dante – I love Benedictine spread!  As a teenager, I went to a friend’s family’s Kentucky Derby party and fell in love with the stuff. 

I'd only learned of its existence a couple of weeks before but now I'm definitely hooked!

• Like 2

Thai yellow curry with cauliflower, squash, veggie meatballs with coconut and ginger inside, tomatoes, galangal, ginger, plenty of makrout lime, coconut milk, tamarind, extra coriander and cumin seeds.

Rice, I like a mixture of jasmine and chinese rices.

PXL_20220205_120359344.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

Spinach with yogurt, eggs. Charred onion and chillies, garlic, sumac, toasted cumin, lemon, pomegranate molasses, olive oil, dates. Crisp and warm sourdough bread.

PXL_20220211_125027225.jpeg

PXL_20220211_125042623.jpeg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

Last night was a bit of a dinner disaster.  My husband had a procedure at a hospital in the city yesterday, so while I was waiting for him I stopped by Eataly to get some fish for dinner.  I used to stop in once a week for fish when I still worked in Boston, but had not been back there since Covid started.  I chose some cockles for linguini with cockles.  The fishmonger just scooped them out of the ice they were buried in and dumped them in a bag without sorting through them first.  I thought about asking him to pick through them, but let it go because I figured he was having a grumpy day and after all, it was Eataly, so what could go wrong?  Well, it turned out that a bunch of them were dead, and the smell had invaded all of the other cockles, so I ended up having to dump the entire lot in the compost.  ARGH.  A nice dinner of clams turned into a thrown together plate of spaghetti with tons of garlic, a few overripe grape tomatoes, lots of parmesan and the last of a bunch of basil.  Whatever.  It was one meal and we were hungry.  That said, once I am back to full time food shopping in person, I won't be rushing back to Eataly for fish.  

spaghetti.thumb.jpg.4f26f617f06dbe53dcce3c90e5d12496.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 8

When Child A was about 2 1/2, the Rotary Club in town had an “all you can eat” shrimp boil for, I think, $20 a ticket. Helluva deal even in mid-80s dollars, as I had no problem eating my money’s worth at 20 bucks. Husband and I walked up to the door and asked for two adults and a child’s ticket. Fellow at the door looked at Child A, opined that she wouldn’t eat much, and just charged us for the two of us. 

It was her first experience with peel-and-eat shrimp, and the kid kept three adults busy peeling them for her. I think she ate as many as I did.

Several years later, Children B and C had come along and were elementary age. We went to a buffet that featured boiled shrimp. We all loaded up, along with an extra plate to hold the shells. Had to go back for another plate to hold all the shells.

I would regularly buy a five pound box of shrimp to cook for the four of us. Invariably, we fought over the last shrimp.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, Honkman said:

Fish stew with potatoes , dill and cucumbers cooked in a mix of vegetable broth, white wine and cream and some briefly seared cod added at the end.

D3AA51C2-2DA7-4AA9-8F66-907E02156237.thumb.jpeg.12641c9984448ee072f83fae2c116486.jpeg

I've got cod and excess cucumber- sounds like a plan

• Like 1

@MaryIsobel – Mr. Kim and I come close to your daughter’s bacon plate now.  Mr. Kim grew up in a family that had to watch their pennies and bacon with breakfast was a treat.  Mr. Kim and his siblings got ONE piece each and his dad got two.  My mom just cooked the entire package of bacon and put it on a plate in the middle of the table.  She never knew how many kids and friends would be there, so it was a free for all.  But I’m sure everyone got enough.  The first time I made breakfast for Mr. Kim, I accordingly cooked a pound (remember?) of bacon and set it on the table.  I joke that that was the moment he fell in love with me.  And he’s never denied it. 😊

@Norm Matthews – Mr. Kim promised to make chili last week and somehow it never happened.  Your chili looks absolutely delicious. 

@liamsaunt – I’m so sorry about your cockles.  You’d think that he could smell that they were off when he was bagging them. 

Dinner was a strange combination:

IMG_8209.jpg.0d1db0ad6f912f42437d0f499ad861a1.jpg

Beef kielbasa from Costco, leftover vegetable stir fry with fresh water chestnuts and bean sprouts, and Basmati rice.  So, Chinese vegetables, Polish sausage, and Indian rice.  It was very good, though – even the leftover veggies! 

• Like 13

Found some great lamb steaks today and channeled whatever else we had in the fridge into a Turkish themed dinner …

Lamb, SV turkey breast turned Döner, cabbage salad, carrot/yoghurt/mint salad, roasted courgette, zaziki.

75134778-5CA3-496B-853A-0CA60F3E14BF.thumb.jpeg.1ba377db27281b39ea78ab72180b16e3.jpeg

Beer and ayran to go with it. A word of caution: this combination in itself is already very filling.

1CA874AE-E834-42EA-906D-AD8AAEB5A257.thumb.jpeg.4bcdf2c1e1bdf408a004be6be121ce68.jpeg

Accompanied by two pides. One basically a khachapuri, the other with Sucuk and some kashkaval cheese.

E055DFD4-BE0A-44FA-A47D-EC5AFFDF6D37.thumb.jpeg.5fe8683957874e9f4f62ad9a8969adeb.jpeg

B029250A-0DC6-44F6-B3E6-1569A1237877.thumb.jpeg.13001230261cba28caba65fcd45ac335.jpeg

Luckily, full approval by my toughest critic 🤗

1CBF00BE-FA17-4BEB-A656-90C9D1967CBC.thumb.jpeg.c723f56c53a0cd61d68a0a49d155e1d9.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 17
  • Haha 2

Shrimp & Cheesy grits kinda night.
This is a Weight Watchers recipe. I didn't have low fat cheddar, so just used a smaller amount of grated spicy cheddar.
Might be of interest to @MaryIsobel. Googled recipe.
                                                              322995439_ShrimpCheesyGrits6459.jpg.5c897ca8549cd33b9d98066ee6fc83f7.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Shrimp & Cheesy grits kinda night.
This is a Weight Watchers recipe. I didn't have low fat cheddar, so just used a smaller amount of grated spicy cheddar.
Might be of interest to @MaryIsobel. Googled recipe.
                                                              322995439_ShrimpCheesyGrits6459.jpg.5c897ca8549cd33b9d98066ee6fc83f7.jpg

Thank you. I have never had shrimp and grits. I've had shrimp - tons of them, but I've never had grits. They are just not a "thang" around these parts although I have seen them on a couple of restaurant menus in the last few years.

1 minute ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thank you. I have never had shrimp and grits. I've had shrimp - tons of them, but I've never had grits. They are just not a "thang" around these parts although I have seen them on a couple of restaurant menus in the last few years.

I had to go looking for them, but they turned out to be available in the Health/Natural section at Sobeys so they're not too hard to find (they're not a "thang" on my coast, either).

My sweetie had seen shrimp and grits many times on cooking shows, and wanted to try the combo for herself. It was a hit, so now I keep them on hand (Bob's Red Mill). Just had them a few nights ago, in fact.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning