• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

My fish share gave me the worst kind of fish (in my opinion) that they have yesterday, Acadian redfish.  I hate it because it is filled with tiny little bones that are impossible to get out.  So, I ground it up, mixed it with Thai red curry paste, cilantro and fish sauce, and made fish cakes that we ate in lettuce wraps with sweet chili sauce, some rice and a cucumber salad.  It was acceptable but I hope we get something different next week.

1114696351_lettucewraps.thumb.jpg.c50af3f874680815513a25619e77e0dc.jpg

So how did you deal with the bones? Ground up?! or?

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

@Ann_T Beautiful shrimp.  I hope work went well for you!  

@DanteYour enchiladas look delicious.

@Kim Shook I'm hoping I have potato starch tucked up in the cabinet somewhere so I can make your chicken.  And, I've wanted Sloppy Joes forever now....I made them a long time ago and I don't think they tripped Ronnie's trigger so I never did them again lol.

Ribs cold smoked outside and then finished in the IP along with breaded tomatoes and scalloped potatoes

IMG_E1890.thumb.jpg.4cce6b4a11734bee86863bca3f573ac5.jpg

Fried catfish and a few mushrooms.  Spinach and Mac and cheese with lots of dill from the greenhouse.

IMG_E1891.thumb.jpg.0a45a876e5e4994c87d4d6fd2963b71d.jpg\\IMG_E1892.thumb.jpg.ed50d67e8d4f3da1f3896e790bd45d90.jpg

IMG_E1893.thumb.jpg.7161f7d256c9790768e036427d0d03ad.jpg

Jalapeno brats with fries and sort of an onion salad-y thing--also made some kraut

IMG_E1896.thumb.jpg.7dd9edbea7cc708b7eb43fa310e0d618.jpg

IMG_E1895.thumb.jpg.b5057823df715d61b0dd9a5e9a4ac492.jpg

Last night was venison cabbage rolls with fried potatoes.  I stuck some ribs in with the rolls.  Very good.

IMG_E1902.thumb.jpg.d9d1720518266d7aa062c5bf27548499.jpg

IMG_E1903.thumb.jpg.80b71e144c2de26b08568e6620802c23.jpg

Okay - that does it. I was thinking today that I could make cabbage rolls with brown rice and ground turkey to keep within our weight watchers goals. It's a whole new way of cooking, but kind of fun. We are both down 12 pounds in a month, including a couple of cheat days. Had a great Greek meal at our favourite place on Sunday and still lost.

• Like 6

IMG_6103.thumb.jpeg.8f66f175f5a58e7d90a513918c67e3cd.jpeg

Japanese chicken curry. Thighs cooked on the bone and then bones removed for service. Home made Japanese curry roux. Jasmine rice.

One of my favorite Japanese food web sites is Just One Cookbook

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Okay - that does it. I was thinking today that I could make cabbage rolls with brown rice and ground turkey to keep within our weight watchers goals. It's a whole new way of cooking, but kind of fun. We are both down 12 pounds in a month, including a couple of cheat days. Had a great Greek meal at our favourite place on Sunday and still lost.

I support it for some peple. It makes you more mindful. And once the various plans have embedded you can't putch then. X servings of Y, points!. Loosening up the non starchy vegetables was their genius pivot. And rcognizing we need good fats. Sure your cabbage rolls will be deicious.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, shain said:

Freekeh cooked risotto style (though by nature it is not as creamy) with mushrooms, chickpeas, garlic, toasted cumin, a little date molasses, olive oil.

PXL_20210515_115332379.thumb.jpeg.9c29d804f381e11839770e5aacdea79d.jpeg 

PXL_20210515_115249132.jpeg

Love the charred onion!1 I think some food cultured don't gven them enough respect as more than part of mirepoix, sofrito or trinity beginning to a dish.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

I support it for some peple. It makes you more mindful. And once the various plans have embedded you can't putch then. X servings of Y, points!. Loosening up the non starchy vegetables was their genius pivot. And rcognizing we need good fats. Sure your cabbage rolls will be deicious.

Totally agree. It's just about being mindful and eating lots of non starchy veg, which isn't difficult. Unlike other "diets", nothing is forbidden, you just have to allow for it, which works well for me, as my 5:00 G&T keeps me happy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 nights ago, it was -35C.  Today 0C and big chunks of snow was melting and falling off the roof!

Breaded pork chops, mushroom gravy, mixed veg and rice.

1315789819_BreadedPorkChopsMushroomgravy6433.jpg.44f372b04796e20640a37326ac391583.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hand pulled noodles with pork and okra.

Marinaded the pork with garlic, ginger, garlic and Shaoxing wine. Stir fried the okra and Chinese celery then added the meat and its marinade.  Blanched the noodles then drained them and added to the wok with some soy sauce. Mixed through and ate.

noodles2.thumb.jpg.df539e89461b34915a9941351e5fdd35.jpg

noodles.thumb.jpg.796403c37eac8c51de133244dbfcba71.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, heidih said:

So how did you deal with the bones? Ground up?! or?

There is one section of the filet that is very, very bony, and that part I just cut out and throw into the compost.  The smaller bones in the rest of the filet get ground up in the food processor.  Between that and cooking the fish cakes, you do not notice them.  That's another reason I dislike this fish: there is more waste than with other kinds we get.  

Last night, rigatoni with swordfish and puttanesca sauce

805175668_swordfishputanesca.thumb.jpg.ec239b1bd3bacba2154e5b0d717ac4a1.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

There is one section of the filet that is very, very bony, and that part I just cut out and throw into the compost.  The smaller bones in the rest of the filet get ground up in the food processor.  Between that and cooking the fish cakes, you do not notice them.  That's another reason I dislike this fish: there is more waste than with other kinds we get.  

I certainly understand your dislike of the bony fish and desire to avoid it! Still, I wonder: could you have used that waste to make fish broth before tossing the remains into the compost? You're such a creative cook that I can imagine fish broth featuring in some of your dishes.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

One of my favorite Japanese food web sites is Just One Cookbook

Realized over the holidays I have many bookmarks from JOC. Pickles, miso shortbread, and used her Curry recipe with help from SeriousEats and NYTimes. We don't care for coconut based curries so her recipe was a good starting point. 

• Like 1

Marcella Hazan's lasagna. Just bolognese, bechamel and parmesan.  I used the no boil pasta that I prehydrated before assembling. No boil type because its thin pasta, not the gross rippled stuff; and prehydrated so that it doesn't need extra liquid.

853418506_hazanlasagna.thumb.jpg.6968cdc9156fef4204d0c28afa9810a0.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Marcella Hazan's lasagna. Just bolognese, bechamel and parmesan.  I used the no bake pasta that I prehydrated before assembling. No bake type because its thin pasta, not the gross rippled stuff; and prehydrated so that it doesn't need extra liquid.

853418506_hazanlasagna.thumb.jpg.6968cdc9156fef4204d0c28afa9810a0.jpg

That’s my gold standard variety as well. Simple & perfect. As is her ragu alla bolognese (as a base for this)  … 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

I certainly understand your dislike of the bony fish and desire to avoid it! Still, I wonder: could you have used that waste to make fish broth before tossing the remains into the compost? You're such a creative cook that I can imagine fish broth featuring in some of your dishes.

There is not enough bone scrap to make it worth saving for broth.  Right now, there are only three of us in the house, so we get one pound of fish to split.  I would have to save the bones for a long time to get enough for broth.  And, this is the only kind of fish we get that is so bony, and we do not get it very often.  I do try to be mindful about making broth from leftovers when I can (like roast chicken), but it's not practical to save the redfish bones.

Last night we had ramen bowls with purple daikon radish, shiitake mushrooms, pea shoots, napa cabbage, and fish sauce marinated eggs. This one was my husband's bowl, and he also got the leftover chicken from a chicken I roasted this past weekend (my sister and I did not want any chicken)

782825551_ramen2.thumb.jpg.a7b041ad0762d382bf8d114837c1bea8.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1