• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

14 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Tahini in a lasagna!? Blasphemy! 

it's weird, but the lemon/tahini/water/garlic powder sauce works oddly well in conjunction with the tomato sauce.It shouldn't,but it does

• Like 3

Jumbo lump crab meat ceviche (red onions, hot peppers, salt, lime juice).  
Dirty rice made with chicken livers, hearts, green peppers, tomatoes, red onions, and super bean black sauce.  Non traditional but very tasty.

62544D14-78DC-4C69-890D-C725863F9887.thumb.jpeg.ccd2bd576d0db6eff3b4be4d68ef90ea.jpeg

09948445-917D-425F-A657-91A9273EBD7B.thumb.jpeg.67a1a3dfb18620f3d5d9b7705bd6c68f.jpeg

CA002D33-61AD-455E-B8F5-269F5957BC9A.thumb.jpeg.cd43f91574d00061b4a850039f1f097b.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5

Just now, Margaret Pilgrim said:

By request, battered prawns and fries.    Jumbo white shrimp.   Cold start shallow oil fries.    Crystal crust, succulent shrimp.    Mayo, cocktail and tartar sauce on the side.

916598934_ScreenShot2022-01-17at5_12_43PM.png.09562f6639c446017a54b1c25098996b.png

Want

• Like 1

Took a pork tenderloin or pork fillet or pork steak (round here it's 猪里脊肉 (zhū lǐ ji ròu)) and pan fried it.

1618842364_porktenderloin.thumb.jpg.cb7228372fefe633df6b33fa77b4a8c3.jpg

The bulk of the fat was removed and rendered then used to stir fry the vegetation which was 木耳菜 (mù ěr cài), wood ear vegetable. This missed the photo op, but here is some before cooking.

329154688_woodearvegetable.thumb.jpg.34226552df73706b34fc34351d044df2.jpg

The pork was brined and then rubbed with black pepper and chilli powder and seared and fried in olive oil, then served on couscous.

1841738255_porktenderloin.thumb.jpg.90dcaa2f33b0a5dc2b2ec4e63e128348.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Hard to believe it is the third week of January. Like previous years in recent memory, we make chowders and brothy soups, some easy familiar comforts, and try new things. 

Lots of seafood purchased during the holidays in the freezer. paying attention not to overcook. 

And last weeks hump day frittata. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 2.27.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 8.59.57 AM.png

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

So many good looking dinners.

Between @Tropicalseniorand @Shelby, I have a craving for lasagna.   

1390277632_BurgerandFriesJanuary17th2022.thumb.jpg.2717c2ad9f3d723874b77065f0bcd2ab.jpg

Simple grilled burgers for dinner last night.

With homemade double fried fries.   Lately we have been soaking the cut potatoes in salted water

instead of just cold water . Makes a big difference.  The fries retain their crispiness. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 5

This falls in the 'new-to-me' category. I had a ButcherBox goof. My second box I switched the selection and let them decide. "Surprise me". I received legs and wings. Not parts I ever buy. We are a thigh and whole roaster family. With three packs of legs, I thawed one pack to go into a stock on the back burner. But seeing there were 5 legs I decided to make a meal out of them. (Original plan was a simple veg/red miso soup with dumplings). 

Decided to try frenching. Went through the cuss word dictionary a few times. It was worth it. I'll do better next time knowing what to expect. 

Into the fridge to dry brine a few hours. Then a glaze of chili crisp, red miso, tamari, and yellowbird. 

CHICKEN DRUMBSTICKS.png

• Like 17
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

So many good looking dinners.

Between @Tropicalseniorand @Shelby, I have a craving for lasagna.   

Simple grilled burgers for dinner last night.

With homemade double fried fries.   Lately we have been soaking the cut potatoes in salted water

instead of just cold water . Makes a big difference.  The fries retain their crispiness. 

Try this plus adding some vinegar to the water. 

Wow, a lively thread. I guess wings have legs! Even I'm contemplating the idea, although I rarely eat them (except when we roast a whole chicken) and I've certainly never made them. In my youth my mother and I had a silent agreement: we each grabbed one wing before anyone else got the idea. We also had to negotiate for the Pope's nose. I don't see anyone serving up a plate of noses. I suspect my mother was a stealth eater and went for both oysters before I even had a clue.

Edited because I put this in the dinner thread instead of the wings thread and don't know how to move it.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Wow, a lively thread. I guess wings have legs! Even I'm contemplating the idea, although I rarely eat them (except when we roast a whole chicken) and I've certainly never made them. In my youth my mother and I had a silent agreement: we each grabbed one wing before anyone else got the idea. We also had to negotiate for the Pope's nose. I don't see anyone serving up a plate of noses. I suspect my mother was a stealth eater and went for both oysters before I even had a clue.

Edited because I put this in the dinner thread instead of the wings thread and don't know how to move it.

My father's family told the story of how, when he, the youngest and only boy, was small, his older sisters would start insisting "I want the back!" "No, I want the back!" and so on until my father would begin the chant and being the youngest and spoiled, got his way.   Then the girls would smile and collect their preferred pieces.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

26 minutes ago, Duvel said:

If that isn’t a sign to participate in …

😬I've lived in fear of wings for years. So expensive in NY. Even pre-covid when we stopped at a local farm for eggs, thighs, and whole chickens, the farmer always gave me an extra couple pounds of thighs. NewYorkers want wings, breasts and legs for their BBQs. Wings are a year round favorite. Just don't see them that often or at all. 

I was dragged into a Hooters in Memphis once and a tittie bar in Austin with wings on the free buffet table. 😂 In NY pubs for events like sports, they more often put out Italian American foil trays of baked ziti for drunk food. 

Maybe I'll French/lolipop them and challenge myself. The baked glaze on the Frenched legs above was so good. I made for the first time some fried crispy shallots last week so no fear of a shallow fry. (small high sided dutch oven)

• Like 3

So even after the discussion about presalting salmon and cooking it at a low temp to alleviate any potential albumin, on these pieces there was a bit; they were simply roasted in the steam oven at low temp. And then jailhouse plated...

IMG_6007.thumb.jpeg.62caae110259d01f431f68e26d73d1de.jpeg

Chirashi. Sockeye and Coho salmons. ikura. Pickles. The new crop rice essentially the star of the dish.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1
  • Confused 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?