• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

30 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Goose is nice. I'd bet Wild Fork has decent prices.

Do it!

$87.78 per piece and frozen.  Remains to be seen if goose would fit in the APO.  And there might be leftovers.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

$87.78 per piece and frozen.  Remains to be seen if goose would fit in the APO.  And there might be leftovers.

Good Grief.

I recall that they would appear at a fair price in Giant occasionally.

11 hours ago, Steve Irby said:

Tonight we had a couple of soups in case  @liamsaunt  family was in the neighborhood.  

Those both look delicious!  It's funny because I would have had to make both too--I would have wanted the potato soup, and my niece hates mushrooms and loves cauliflower so she would have chosen the cauliflower one.

@Ann_T, which New England Style hot dog bun recipe did you use?  I have tried to make them a couple of times (I even have a New England hot dog bun pan!) but have not found a recipe that tastes right to me yet. Yours look correct.

Last night, Boursin stuffed chicken, a mashed potato and Macomber turnip puree and roasted shredded Brussels sprouts (roasted broccolini for the niece, who dislikes Brussels sprouts.  More for me then 😀)

1676085590_boursnchicken.thumb.jpg.7ca4e04708a1152c6a02d6abe84cc366.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

11 hours ago, heidih said:

It's actually quite similar to the samosa dipping sauce from Jean-Georges's Spice House that I make not infrequently. The idea of just blending herbs into yogurt instantly upped my sauce game when I learned about it. The real Duvel inspiration was adding the uzu kosho. I've made uk mayo before, but never tried using it with one of these blended sauces... it's a tasty move. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

@Ann_T, which New England Style hot dog bun recipe did you use?  I have tried to make them a couple of times (I even have a New England hot dog bun pan!) but have not found a recipe that tastes right to me yet. Yours look correct.

@liamsaunt, Having never made this roll before, I can't say whether it is typical of a New England Lobster/Hot dog roll,

but I can tell you that they were exactly what Moe was looking for based on his memory of his favourite ball park hot dog.

I looked at a number of recipes but they almost all called for powdered milk, which I never have on hand.  This one called for regular milk.

https://growagoodlife.com/new-england-hot-dog-buns/

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

PSA

Burwell Farms Domestic Truffles  (  Boy do they smell awesome  )

https://www.burwellfarmsnc.com/

The little research I've done leads me to believe they are quite different from the magnificent Alba white truffle, tuber magnatum pico; it makes sense, as I'm guessing the climate and geography of Burlington, NC is quite different from that of Piemonte.

Enjoy, and let us know how they taste.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I made chimichurri and empanadas tonight.  Even though there is a Mexican grocery close by, I have never been able to find the commercial wrappers and make them myself. I am not very patient at trying to make them look good and they don't.  They aren't pretty but i made 14 and by the time I got around to taking the picture, this was all that was left. 

20220112_174148.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, btbyrd said:

It's actually quite similar to the samosa dipping sauce from Jean-Georges's Spice House that I make not infrequently. The idea of just blending herbs into yogurt instantly upped my sauce game when I learned about it. The real Duvel inspiration was adding the uzu kosho. I've made uk mayo before, but never tried using it with one of these blended sauces... it's a tasty move. 

I had a similar moment several months ago when I had a mix of fresh herbs and found a grocery store yogurt I liked. Years ago I frequently did a green sauce used both as a pre-grill marinade and at service esp with beautiful fresh fish the guys brought back from Mexico. That was ricotta/cream based. I used both sherry vinegar and lemon juice and a touch of Dijon mustard. The recent one was just yogurt, splash of grassy olive oil (in my mind complemented the herbs) and again a touch of mustard. I did grind a few well toasted nuts in with it- I love y mini food processor. So flexible and simple but packs a flavor punch.

• Like 2

Started to eat my dinner before taking the picture  😃.  Steamed tofu with bacon, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, hot sauce.  Mixed rice.  Quick and delicious.

85751A12-0031-47C2-8A45-C4384ED9BB55.thumb.jpeg.b681cd49d75d3034b1ef7cbdd67319b2.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Night before last turkey and venison bologna sandwiches with shishitos and fries

thumbnail_IMG_1760.jpg.358f4f81cc6aac6fbf37a944a094ff9f.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1759.jpg.808d9a5ccc0df7370110a58a5021d9e8.jpg

Last night, mushroom salad

thumbnail_IMG_1761.jpg.2416a1f2477d75cdedfa10f2393a4a2f.jpg

Creamed potatoes

thumbnail_IMG_1765.jpg.b7d812de3503ddbc221d9940241ecdd8.jpg

Sprouts

thumbnail_IMG_1766.jpg.0dd504845f65ffc283ed3b6d1c78c39f.jpg

And roasted turkey quarter and a wing

thumbnail_IMG_1764.jpg.80628fb04195e8772eec50b13b67b1a8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1767.jpg.319eb74dfe7971da31350888e1472e22.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

22 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@liamsaunt, Having never made this roll before, I can't say whether it is typical of a New England Lobster/Hot dog roll,

but I can tell you that they were exactly what Moe was looking for based on his memory of his favourite ball park hot dog.

I looked at a number of recipes but they almost all called for powdered milk, which I never have on hand.  This one called for regular milk.

https://growagoodlife.com/new-england-hot-dog-buns/

Thank you!  I tried the King Arthur Flour recipe a few times without success.  I am sure it was operator error!

Last night, miso salmon with yakisoba noodles.  The noodles had bell peppers (no green ones!), cabbage, mushrooms (omitted from my niece's bowl), and were topped with some cilantro micro greens that Whole Foods randomly swapped in for regular cilantro in my last delivery.

157687938_misosalmon.thumb.jpg.1f3e15bbb24466eafb6826994933a6bb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

@Shelby, more about those sprouts, please. Steamed, boiled, roasted? What about the tomatoes? What other seasonings?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@Shelby, more about those sprouts, please. Steamed, boiled, roasted? What about the tomatoes? What other seasonings?

Oil and or butter in the skillet.  Salt and pepper.  Brown sprouts on the cut side.  When browned dump in some tomatoes (mine are our canned ones), more seasoning to taste and some garlic cloves.  Lid on until steamed and done :) . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It‘s gotten very cold … 

Time for Erbseneintopf, made from dried & peeled (or peeled & dried ?) green peas, served with vinegar, mustard and a great Bockwurst. Nothing much to look at, but after two full plates I now feel the heat radiating from my stomach. Comfort food at its best ☺️

4B9424BB-EC54-44C1-986B-CC5B26B3B5E9.thumb.jpeg.c80ff3efce590f0a506e8d8d2c619ffe.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1