• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Yaki Udon with Shrimp. Had this at a hotel restaurant last year. When we went back next time, they had taken it off their menu and replaced it with a salad 😞

So I've had to recreate it at home!

1658093353_YakiUdonNoodlesShrimp6242.jpg.817553c96213710a5a208923952bed94.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Steamed soft tofu with salted mustard and some mince.

HjX07vs.jpg

Having been to Madeira now I know Madeira sweet wines are not for me. Got a bottle a week before the holidays. Only good enough for cooking and baking.

Ey8L49f.jpg

I know what I'll be cooking for supper tonight!
Thanks @BonVivant!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 minute ago, Ann_T said:

138527036_HotChickenSandwichwithfriesandpeasJanuary9th2022.thumb.jpg.81cc297c1215d877efd5527922d3d20a.jpg

@rotuts, this one is for you. 

Roasted the chicken yesterday and made the gravy.  Moe had the chicken legs for dinner last night and 

I made hot chicken sandwiches for dinner tonight.   Still keeping to simple to prepare meals. Diner food.

SO happy that you're ok to cook. big ((((hugs)))) from me.

• Like 6

Thai inspired beef-eggplant curry with beef chuck braised in coconut milk and beef stock with a paste made out of ginger, shallots, garlic, jalapeño, lemongrass and key lime leaves. Added sautéed eggplants for the last 20 minutes and finished with fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, puréed cilantro, thai basil and quickly fried garlic.

5A28544B-5809-4874-AF47-8073C99C55F8.thumb.jpeg.df09ce642e8e432ce8edadad3b292350.jpeg

• Like 10

Yesterday was all football, all of the time, so I did not even try to make something that would make people eat at the table.  Instead, sandwiches.  Husband had the leftover beef in his

1007349237_trufflesandwich.thumb.jpg.851ab8d56e70bf85d7043de9e8d666fb.jpg

My sister, niece and I had avocado, tomato, bacon, egg, cheddar, and arugula

499035214_eggsandwich.thumb.jpg.974090f37c2235efe045f9ca317a9a73.jpg

I am not a football fan, but made a lot of progress in the book I am reading, so we were all happy.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4
  • Haha 2

I met a Ukrainian Lady when I was in Vermont in the 80s who taught me the "proper" way to make Borscht.

First you sear and simmer until tender, a bone-in beef shank in 4 cups beef broth. On this particular day my usual butcher suggested this honking-big marrow bone and a chuck sirloin end-cut he had behind the counter. Okay, then.  Next, cut 2lbs beets and 1lb carrots into 1/2" dice and roast at 400F for 1/2hr.

IMG_20220109_143500632~2.jpg

Add 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage, roasted veg, and another 4 cups beef stock.

IMG_20220109_153627179~2.jpg

Simmer some more...

IMG_20220109_162106699~2.jpg

Totally marries up overnight and takes on a little more crimson hue - served piping hot with creme fraiche and/or sour cream

Edited by johnnyd
Formatting (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 6

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Little late to the party - New Years spread.  Standard attendees included house (double) cured gravlax, smoked trout spread, wild mmmushroom/black truffle compound butter and lots of nibbles.  

4859F69E-2823-466D-B600-EB2CAECFA63F.thumb.jpeg.010e8b3385a6d2eac50e8c6a00d9ed47.jpeg

Yes, for you eagle eyes that is a baby tea set that my 4 year old and her cousin had a fantastic time enjoying juice out of with pinky fingers raise high in the air! 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, johnnyd said:

I met a Ukrainian Lady when I was in Vermont in the 80s who taught me the "proper" way to make Borscht.

First you sear and simmer until tender, a bone-in beef shank in 4 cups beef broth. On this particular day my usual butcher suggested this honking-big marrow bone and a chuck sirloin end-cut he had behind the counter. Okay, then.  Next, cut 2lbs beets and 1lb carrots into 1/2" dice and roast at 400F for 1/2hr.

Very interesting.  Totally different than what I was taught (albeit from a Russian bubby)...

It's almost like a beef stew with roasted veg.  No lemon/vinegar?

I was taught to shred the beets and cook them in the stock, with lots of dill and lemon juice. 

I can see two totally different end products, but both certainly appeal!!

• Like 2

TicTac, yes 4tblsps red wine vinegar at service, stirred in before (big) dollop of sour cream in your bowl. And you're right, beef stew foundation definitely. Diced potato added to sheet pan halfway through roasting. Fine chopped onion added after searing stage til glassy, then 1st four cups stock. 

Recipe calls for fresh dill too but we didn't have any. I'd become so bored with whatever borscht recipe I was using so when this came along I've never gone back. A hit of paprika on your dollop takes it even higher.

• Like 4

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

10 hours ago, Honkman said:

Thai inspired beef-eggplant curry with beef chuck braised in coconut milk and beef stock with a paste made out of ginger, shallots, garlic, jalapeño, lemongrass and key lime leaves. Added sautéed eggplants for the last 20 minutes and finished with fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, puréed cilantro, thai basil and quickly fried garlic.

I usually don't sautee the eggplant. Do you think your treatment results in better integrity of the eggplant? 

@RWood – what kind of pan did you use for that pizza?  Because the edge looks fantastic.

@chefmd – you are killing me with those gorgeous scallops and the rockfish.  I’m so ready for some rockfish!

@liamsaunt and @Margaret Pilgrim – I haven’t made katsu in forever!  I need to put that on the list. 

@Shelby – your braised leeks are truly gorgeous!  And I can’t imagine anything more perfect to go with pot roast!  Thanks for posting the directions.

@Paul Bacino – the coating on your pork cutlets is perfect.  I like the cornflake/panko mixture idea!

@Honkman – I love the look of that fennel salad.  How is it dressed?

@Captain – those might be the best looking yorkies I’ve ever seen!  Bravo!!!

@Ann_T - that is my favorite meal of all time.  I was smart and made extra turkey gravy this year to freezer.  So, when we have a roast chicken, I can indulge in an open faced sandwich like yours!  I even made extra bread dressing mixture and froze that, too. 

Saturday, we got Popeye’s as I’d been craving fried chicken (to be honest, when am I not?) and didn’t feel like cooking it (to be honest, when DO I?).  The beans were mine, but the rest was Popeye’s:

IMG_7896.thumb.jpg.c2a9f8e94dd58b2bd6a79aa8b8ea6b4e.jpg

A fast-food fried chicken dinner creates a dilemma, at least in our experience.  We have both Popeye’s and Bojangles close by.  And in order to get a really great chicken dinner, you really have to go to both. For chicken, it’s Popeye’s always.  Bojangles is always slightly soggy and they only offer spicy.  Popeye’s is always crisp – even after a night in the fridge and they offer mild and spicy.  But for sides and biscuits, you really need to go to Bojangles.  Popeye’s sides are pitiful – instant mashed potatoes, stodgy rice and beans – nothing green unless you count grocery store level slaw and, worst of all – no dirty rice.  And their biscuits are flat, sad looking things.  Bojangles has excellent pintos and fantastic dirty rice (I buy it and serve it to company when I make BBQ shrimp) and their biscuits are light and fluffy and buttery. 

This concludes my TED Talk😝. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 4

Recently  I decided to change the way i cook high marbled meat!!  (  wish I had wood fire apparatus )

Plus to have a blue carbon steel pan

1  Start with a cold pan/ medium fire

51811707795_dfda3368c2_z.jpg

Heavy cook on side 1

51811709975_b180015b19_z.jpg

Now side 2

51810978956_607d66ba99_z.jpg

Begin the flip and baste process/  with butter /garlic and herbs ( not here cuz son is not a fan of green stuff )

rest and cut

51811711850_762ca006ba_z.jpg

also creates  a decent rendered fat cap ( love the Sh*t )

51811088528_16a103611c_z.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 7

Its good to have Morels

This got started earlier than the rest of dinner...

730314041_Cabbage01-09-22Marcellas.thumb.jpeg.28cd718bcb45607a77520b504fc9d709.jpeg

IMG_5967.thumb.jpeg.f8051de78b92d1a40329e56d82cc9c69.jpeg

Rohan duck breast (also started in a cold pan!) with an orange and mustardy pan sauce, Marcella's smothered cabbage, and 50% milled semibrown rice.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Dinner last night never happened.*  Long about 4:00 am I went to bed.

Why dinner never happened is I was preparing a picture to have printed for my dining room.  I've been served goose only once, and that was in Germany 2005.  How'er hope springs eternal.**

Geese09272021.jpg

*Worse, my freshly opened peanuts were rancid.

**And Shoprite has chicken thighs on sale again this week.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou