• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Yeee in the MidWest...know these as Pork tenderloins

Center Cut Loin..Jaccarded by Fareway-  seasoned with Slap ur Momma.. then Wonder flour ( rest )  then egg dip  / Panko plus corn flake ( rest ) /  oil fry

Killer

51802077258_3b787ddbe2_c.jpg'

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Its good to have Morels

15 hours ago, Wait. Wot said:

a pair of silicone cut resistant gloves are a requirement.

I don't believe they are a "requirement;" they're certainly helpful for those who are unsure or unpracticed.

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I have been told previously it does actually help. 
  I am super clumsy so all the advice is appreciated. And I prefer west coast oysters which are smaller but also harder to source on the east coast. 

Also, how does one know of an oyster is “bad”? Clams are obvious when cooked but personally I don’t know if I could determine a good raw clam or oyster from a “bad” one and that makes me nervous. 

Once/if/when covid rates in NJ stop breaking records I’d like to go to a local seafood restaurant and see if they’d allow me to “help” prep during the day. 

Sniff 'em; you'll know.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

Center Cut Loin..Jaccarded by Fareway-  seasoned with Slap ur Momma.. then Wonder flour ( rest )  then egg dip  / Panko plus corn flake ( rest ) /  oil fry

Killer

51802077258_3b787ddbe2_c.jpg'

Nice!

So it isn't actually tenderloin.but tenderized loin?

• Like 1

Cavatappi with roasted cherry tomato and garlic sauce (pulverized after roasting to deal with the skins), mixed with some arugula.  It's amazing how a giant pile of arugula cooks down to the point where it looks like I put five leaves in the sauce 😆

1604594344_arugulacavatappi.thumb.jpg.1e93733b0ddf530934f92e0ddb2c1e59.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Venison roast wth the usual suspects went into the slow cooker yesterday

thumbnail_IMG_1738.jpg.ae11309707a694e1b3c3d5771274f4da.jpg

Braised leeks 

thumbnail_IMG_1737.jpg.a5b3a7ad248e885acb9e092e9932cdba.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1739.jpg.3dcba6cab74420bb0cdcbc28e1662563.jpg

The venison looks great.  But those leeks are spectacular.  How did you cook them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, chefmd said:

The venison looks great.  But those leeks are spectacular.  How did you cook them?

Skillet with a bit of olive oil.  Salt and pepper.  Med. heat until leeks are browned on both sides--around 5 mins maybe....couple glugs of white wine.  Cook for about 20 mins until leeks are soft.  Drain wine.  Sprinkle with fresh parm and broil until cheese crisps up.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Into mouth, I hope....!?

;)

Don't know that I'd drink it at that point but it raises something I thought of the other day - saving bits like the braising wine @Shelby mentioned to enrich a future dish.  I save glass jars (w/o labels!!!) So when handed some rotisserie chicken bones after they parted out their Costco bird I snagged the black under-tray, added a bit of warm water and got out the congealed juices. Added to a quick stock from the bones it made a thoroughly enjoyable soup.

• Like 4

I had a dish from ATK I wanted to make but needed Niçoise olives which our local high end grocer didn't have... so a picture of that dish will likely come next weekend.

Tilapia was on sale, so we got that.  My wife remembered once home we had done some Tilapia dishes from Hello Fresh, we keep all the cards as they are good ideas.

So it's Louisiana-Style Tilapia with Potatoes Wedges, Cabbage Slaw (they called for red, we have green for another dish), & Spicy Remoulade.

Our old bay seasoning had a best by date of 2009... so it went into the trash, it tasted like salty cardboard.

A easy sub is equal parts celery salt, chili powder, and powdered garlic.

20220108_175943.jpg

The slaw is more my wife's thing - there's a lot more on her plate.  The sauce has a nice kick, I think we improved on the HF dish.

Edited by Raamo
a letter (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Chicken Adobo Tacos (chicken thighs braised in white vinegar, soy sauce, dried chilies, tons of garlic, cinnamon stick) with a tomatillo-avocado salsa (from Wes Avila’s book Guerilla Tacos - if you like some creative tacos I can only highly recommend the book)

6339CF92-5A4E-4E0A-86B5-3F9761B204F2.thumb.jpeg.03f26cd58ebb27d7d1a9597c4c58a75e.jpeg

And a salad of fennel, cucumber, radish, parsley, dill and chives with a honey-mustard vinaigrette

A23949C5-EADD-49D1-8F6B-CDD9BDB954B1.thumb.jpeg.d8d95d467da88e390d5dca85a02f02ff.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

12 minutes ago, Honkman said:

Chicken Adobo Tacos (chicken thighs braised in white vinegar, soy sauce, dried chilies, tons of garlic, cinnamon stick) with a tomatillo-avocado salsa (from Wes Avila’s book Guerilla Tacos - if you like some creative tacos I can only highly recommend the book)

6339CF92-5A4E-4E0A-86B5-3F9761B204F2.thumb.jpeg.03f26cd58ebb27d7d1a9597c4c58a75e.jpeg

And a salad of fennel, cucumber, radish, parsley, dill and chives with a honey-mustard vinaigrette

A23949C5-EADD-49D1-8F6B-CDD9BDB954B1.thumb.jpeg.d8d95d467da88e390d5dca85a02f02ff.jpeg

ice! If you have nt seen this it is a nice view including Wes  https://www.kcet.org/shows/the-migrant-kitchen/episodes/alta-california

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gfweb said:

Nice!

So it isn't actually tenderloin.but tenderized loin?

Yes,

But u can use the tenderloin/  or butt/  blade..  just need to tenderize it and flatten and cut somewhat thin.  

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

Steamed soft tofu with salted mustard and some mince.

HjX07vs.jpg

Having been to Madeira now I know Madeira sweet wines are not for me. Got a bottle a week before the holidays. Only good enough for cooking and baking.

OiQdnCU.jpg

Ey8L49f.jpg

Smoned herring (is for me) and mackerel.

oXDRWPl.jpg

Barley in the pot

iX7p8Q2.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

On 1/8/2022 at 7:06 AM, Paul Bacino said:

Killer

'

Slap ur Momma! Great stuff on all kids of meat and dishes. First picked it up in Louisiana and have stocked up my friends' pantries as well.

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

15 hours ago, Honkman said:

Have never been able to make a great tasting salad combo with fennel, but this looks great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night, arrival in the country.    House freezing.   Asked husband what he wanted for dinner, not much wanting to budge from front of fire.  

"Something simple and fast"

"How about hash and eggs?"

"Fine!"

No pics since if you've seen one plate of canned hash topped with fried eggs, you've seen them all.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.