• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Annie_H said:

What is missing in the look of them?. The red food coloring?. It isn't necessary for the flavor. I know some red is from bugs but most is probably from petroleum or such creations. 

Absolutely nothing to do with red food colouring. That would make them look even less Asian. I've never seen that used on ribs anywhere in East or S.E. Asia.

What I noticed was the size of the pieces. They would normally be bite-sized here - half the size of those at the forefront of Norm's picture. We use chopsticks!

IMG_0061.jpg

But what clinched it for me was that they appear to be sprinkled with sesame seeds, a peculiar western practice to make dishes look Asian. It rarely happens here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Annie_H said:

What is missing in the look of them?. The red food coloring?. It isn't necessary for the flavor. I know some red is from bugs but most is probably from petroleum or such creations. 

Absolutely nothing to do with red fod colouring. That would make them look even less Asian. I've never seen that used on ribs anywhere in East or S.E. Asia.

What I noticed was the size of the pieces. They would normally be bite-ized here - half the size of those at the forefront of Norm's picture. We use chopsticks!

IMG_0061.jpg

But what clinched it for me was that they appear to be sprinkled with sesame seeds, a peculiar western practice to make dishes look Asian. It rarely happens here.