• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I too have mostly given up beef. Part of it is it's a very individual, perhaps, small then, way to help the planet. The other part of it is that I just don't crave large hunks of any kind of meat. About twice a year I get a craving for a green chile burger made from ground beef (mostly that's about missing New Mexico) and we grill the patties outside. Mostly I prefer my meat in small doses, like part of a stir-fry with vegetables. And that includes chicken. Eating a big piece of chicken does not appeal either. I would say I rely on pork for flavoring dishes, and use ham broth frequently when I cook beans. I love Char Siu stir-fried with noodles or in a banh mi. I eat seafood, (except octopus) Asian cooked duck or duck soup, and I definitely eat dairy products from all sources, in moderation. When I see pix of rare steak taking up half a plate I don't wish I had some.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I too have mostly given up beef. Part of it is it's a very individual, perhaps, small then, way to help the planet. The other part of it is that I just don't crave large hunks of any kind of meat. About twice a year I get a craving for a green chile burger made from ground beef (mostly that's about missing New Mexico) and we grill the patties outside. Mostly I prefer my meat in small doses, like part of a stir-fry with vegetables. And that includes chicken. Eating a big piece of chicken does not appeal either. I would say I rely on pork for flavoring dishes, and use ham broth frequently when I cook beans. I love Char Siu stir-fried with noodles or in a banh mi. I eat seafood, (except octopus) Asian cooked duck or duck soup, and I definitely eat dairy products from all sources, in moderationt when I see pix of rare steak taking up half a plate I don't wish I had some.