• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

Though those poor plants need a drink (the non-alcoholic variety 😛 )

Tomatoes don't mind being a bit thirsty. The top left plant seems to be mulched with dry mater. I use straw. The leaves look fine and healthy. The worst crime is overwatering. They hate wet feet. The fuzzy on their stems are all root hairs. Underground they know how to seek out moisture and hold onto it. Above ground they will take on all they can get from moisture in the air and damp dewey mornings.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

My confession is that I read the Kenji article about them, and man, is it long winded. But it's essentially what I did...

I saw that last month or so---maybe the at-home video. Forgot all about it. Putting it on my list to try.

Annie_H

Annie_H

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Though those poor plants need a drink (the non-alcoholic variety 😛 )

Tomatoes don't mind being a bit thirsty. The top left plant seems to be mulched with dry mater. I use straw. The leaves look fine and healthy. The worst crime is overwatering. They hate wet feet. The fuzzy on their stems are all root hairs. Underground they know how to seek out moisture and hold onto it. Above ground they will take on all they can get from moisture in the air and damp dewey mornings.

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

My confession is that I read the Kenji article about them, and man, is it long winded. But it's essentially what I did...

I saw that last month or so---maybe the at-home video. Forgot all about it.