• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My mind is grappling with this! It looks amazing.  But how did you get such a mixture to hold together so you could bread it and fry it. 

It's like a French semolina cake, but savory. The semolina is cooked on the stove with water until thickened, then you add the eggs, cooked mushrooms, flavorings; and bake. Maybe the semolina can be substituted with flour and allow for skipping the precooking step.

In order to avoid the task of egg wash and breadcrumbs coating, I instead lined the baking pan with breaded before gently pouring the mixture on top, and then also topped with breadcrumbs. Most of it was cought in the baking process, and I'm happy enough with the coverage. 

Slice, and fry. 

shain

shain

Just now, Anna N said:

My mind is grappling with this! It looks amazing.  But how did you get such a mixture to hold together so you could bread it and fry it. 

It's like a French semolina cake, but savory. The semolina is cooked on the stove with water until thickened, then you add the eggs, cooked mushrooms, flavorings; and bake. Maybe the semolina can be substituted with flour and allow for skipping the precooking step.

In order to avoid the task of egg wash and breadcrumbs coating, I instead lined the baking pan with breaded before gently pouring the mixture on top, and then also topped with breadcrumbs. Most of it was cought in the baking process, and I'm happy enough with the coverage.