• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

28 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Oh wow! I love Char Siu Bao, and your Chair Siu looks delicious! Are the Bao hard to make?

I've never had a failure with this recipe. One reason that I like this recipe is that I have made them as small as golf balls and as large as softballs and the filling always comes out even with the amount of dough. Although the original recipe is for the bread machine I make mine in a stand mixer. The most important thing to remember is to not make a very soft dough. It has to be able to stand up to the pressure of the hot filling. This is my recipe for the Char Siu.

Are they hard to make? Maybe the first couple times but you soon learn to wrap them. Just don't fill them too full.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

25 minutes ago, Orbit said:

Oh wow! I love Char Siu Bao, and your Chair Siu looks delicious! Are the Bao hard to make?

I've never had a failure with this recipe. Although the original recipe is for the bread machine I make mine in a stand mixer. The most important thing to remember is to not make a very soft dough. It has to be able to stand up to the pressure up the hot filling. This is my recipe for the Char Siu.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

20 minutes ago, Orbit said:

I've never had a failure with this recipe. Although the original recipe is for the bread machine I make mine in a stand mixer. The most important thing to remember is to not make a very soft dough. It has to be able to stand up to the pressure up the hot filling.