• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

9 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Just watched an episode of Bon Apetit Test Kitchen where they say that real Alfredo is just butter, pasta water and cheese. I have always added cream.

I believe this to be true; but it's just easier to get everything emulsified with the addition of cream. We've had this "argument" before; as it relates to pasta carbonara (where we also argued about bacon vs. guanciale) and pasta cacio e pepe. 

The key in my opinion, is to use a younger (or less aged) Parmigiano-Reggiano, and some of the pasta water, which in and of itself contains starch.

weinoo

weinoo

9 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Just watched an episode of Bon Apetit Test Kitchen where they say that real Alfredo is just butter, pasta water and cheese. I have always added cream.

I believe this to be true; but it's just easier to get everything emulsified with the addition of cream. We've had this "argument" before; as it relates to pasta carbonara (where we also argued about bacon vs. guanciale) and pasta cacio e pepe. 

The key in my opinion, is to use a younger (or less aged) Parmigiano-Reggiano, and some of the pasta water, which in an of itself contains starch.