• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

13 hours ago, Dejah said:

@DuvelYour little guy loves octopus. I salivate every time I see his plate. Have never cooked any myself other than the dim sum curried baby octopus.
I am tempted to pic up a package of this - on sale at our supermarket this week. It's already cooked. So if I sliced it up and sauteed quickly, would it be like what your son has? Or do you cook it from raw?
Cooked Octopus Tentacles

That is pretty much what we are using (slightly different brand). Little one prefers a preparation called pop a la gallega (Spanish: pulpo a la gallega or Galician-style octopus), for which you thaw the arms (they are already cooked) and warm them up in salt water until hot. I like to put a bit of kelp into that water as a Galician grandma’s little umami secret. Then slice in thickish (think quarter inch) slices, drizzle with really good olive oil and sprinkle some paprika powder on. Smoked paprika works great as well. Add some flaky sea salt if you need more saltiness. The arms should have a bit of a bite in the white center, while the purple outside is softer and slightly „gooey“. It‘s a taste & textural thing …

Duvel

Duvel

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

@DuvelYour little guy loves octopus. I salivate every time I see his plate. Have never cooked any myself other than the dim sum curried baby octopus.
I am tempted to pic up a package of this - on sale at our supermarket this week. It's already cooked. So if I sliced it up and sauteed quickly, would it be like what your son has? Or do you cook it from raw?
Cooked Octopus Tentacles

That is pretty much what we are using (slightly diferent brand). Little one prefers a preparation called pop a la gallega (Spanish: pulpo a la gallega or Galician-style octopus), for which you thaw the arms (they are already cooked) and warm them up in salt water until hot. I like to put a bit of kelp into that water as a Galician grandma’s little umami secret. Then slice in thickish (think quarter inch) slices, drizzle with really good olive oil and sprinkle some paprika powder on. Smoked paprika works great as well. Add some flaky sea salt if you need more saltiness. The arms should have a bit of a bite in the white center, while the purple outside is softer and slightly „gooey“. It‘s a taste & textural thing …

Duvel

Duvel

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

Cooked Octopus Tentacles

That is pretty much what we are using (slightly diferent brand). Little one prefers a preparation called pop a la gallega (Spanish: pulpo a la gallega or Galician-style octopus), for which you thaw the arms (they are already cooked) and warm them up in salt water until hot. I like to put a bit of kelp into that water as a Galician grandma’s little umami secret. Then slice in thickish (think quarter inch) slices, drizzle with really good olive oil and sprinkle some paprika powder on. Smoked paprika works great as well. Add some flaky sea salt if you need more saltiness. The arms should have a bit of a bite in the white center, while the purple outside is soft and gooey. It‘s a taste & textural thing …

Duvel

Duvel

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

Cooked Octopus Tentacles

That is pretty much what we are using (slightly diferent brand). Little one prefers a preparation called pop a la gallega (Spanish: pulpo a la gallega or Galician-style octopus), for which you thaw the arms (they are already cooked) and warm them up in salt water until hot. I like to put a bit of kelp into that water as a Galician grandma’s little umami secret. Then slice in thickish (think quarter inch) slices, drizzle with really good olive oil and sprinkle some paprika powder on. Smoked paprika works great as well. As some flaky sea salt if you need. The arms should have a bit of bit in the white center, while the purple outside is soft and gooey. It‘s a taste & textural thing …