• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

I'd ordered and received a bunch of stuff on New Year's Eve day, from Regalis, as they were having a free shipping deal with certain items. So in addition to some caviar and Périgord black truffles, I also scored some black truffle butter and a Jidori chicken (to try it out). 

Here's the Jidori chicken, ready to roast, stuffed under the skin with plenty of truffle butter and thin slices of Périgord truffle.  You should have heard (maybe you can guess?) the cursing as I made my attempts at trussing this bird; I'm way out of practice, as I don't really truss chickens any more, but felt it would be a good thing to do with this beast, and we (the bird and I) finally settled on an old Julia method, literally using a trussing needle after failing with no needle (something I used to be pretty good at!)...

IMG_5912.thumb.jpeg.9d333e50dcf7ba8b57039fc62690cbc0.jpeg

Et voilà!

IMG_5914.thumb.jpeg.ad9f11c09592c0ed8cac23c992965c44.jpeg

The bird was rested for a good 20 - 30 minutes before carving, and the pan (and its fond, @rotuts!) made for a nice jus, which was served alongside the carved bird...

IMG_5917.thumb.jpeg.158651a19d3e53fe0f303517c67f1a0b.jpeg

Some of the breast carved without the skin for certain diners (yet the skin might've been enjoyed in the kitchen). Served with a nice, simple green salad.

Oh - and this...

IMG_5916.thumb.jpeg.4bcafc9a39874d0baf24e18a9880d7aa.jpeg

Pommes Dauphinoise.

Forgot to mention the starter for the dinner above (and for which there's no picture, cuz the chef is a dope)...Oeufs brouillés à la truffe

Eggs with truffle shavings and peels, cooked to a custard-like consistency in a double-boiler, served with toasts.

weinoo

weinoo

I'd ordered and received a bunch of stuff on New Year's Eve day, from Regalis, as they were having a free shipping deal with certain items. So in addition to some caviar and Périgord black truffles, I also scored some black truffle butter and a Jidori chicken (to try it out). 

Here's the Jidori chicken, ready to roast, stuffed under the skin with plenty of truffle butter and thin slices of Périgord truffle.  You should have heard (maybe you can guess?) the cursing as I made my attempts at trussing this bird; I'm way out of practice, as I don't really truss chickens any more, but felt it would be a good thing to do with this beast, and we (the bird and I) finally settled on an old Julia method, literally using a trussing needle after failing with no needle (something I used to be pretty good at!)...

IMG_5912.thumb.jpeg.9d333e50dcf7ba8b57039fc62690cbc0.jpeg

Et voilà!

IMG_5914.thumb.jpeg.ad9f11c09592c0ed8cac23c992965c44.jpeg

The bird was rested for a good 20 - 30 minutes before carving, and the pan (and its fond, @rotuts!) made for a nice jus, which was served alongside the carved bird...

IMG_5917.thumb.jpeg.158651a19d3e53fe0f303517c67f1a0b.jpeg

Some of the breast carved without the skin for certain diners (yet the skin might've been enjoyed in the kitchen). Served with a nice, simple green salad.

Oh - and this...

IMG_5916.thumb.jpeg.4bcafc9a39874d0baf24e18a9880d7aa.jpeg

Pommes Dauphinoise.