• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coszcal de Allende

weinoo

IMG_5870.thumb.jpeg.5412ec052a4424ca58a28fac00ed695a.jpeg

Took a ride out to the beach (Coney Island, that's the Cyclone, above) yesterday, for a walk on the boardwalk, since this is our favorite time of year for the beach. And I love amusements parks (especially Coney) when no one is having fun...there's something quite sinister and scary about them.

Instead of the Russian/Georgian/Uzbek food I was thinking of for lunch, we decided to head to Bay Ridge, for some food not quite from the Caucasus, to a place which came highly recommended from a friend.  They have an interesting wine program, but what caught my eye...

66240996898__409BA1D7-AB8E-4642-AEAA-B3FB65806DFB.thumb.jpeg.c3e8b3c92251acb25df419fe44055409.jpeg

was the Mezcal and tequila program.  Not that I was drinking anything except Mexican coke - it was lunch time, after all, and I was driving. And evidently the mezcal prices are not bad (as I checked in with a knowledgeable friend, who wanted to know what they were getting for Del Maguey Tobala - $14 an ounce, which isn't bad, considering the bottle price)!

I started with a soup, and this had to be one of the best, if not most unique, chicken "soups" I've had in quite some time...

IMG_5872.thumb.jpeg.e6c5914b3913003b9d1db7cda4585a3c.jpeg

more like a stew, and called sopa Azteca on the menu, so thick and rich. Delicious. Followed by tacos for me, and I like how the tortilla is somewhere between totally crisp and soft...

IMG_5874.thumb.jpeg.273f8a5bc6452a0520ba3d783a2567b7.jpeg

and Significant Eater's favorite, enchiladas...

IMG_5873.thumb.jpeg.36440e1a79be2619c091cde4b0c401f6.jpeg

Great stuff...wow.  Also - they are so nice!

The masa is made fresh in house, and those tortillas are amazing. It's also used in any number of dishes, not via tortillas.

I look forward to a return trip, maybe even via subway, for dinner. Cause I really want to drink here too.

Coszcal de Allende

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

46 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Wow - that looks great!  If we lived closer, I think my wife would want to be there once a week!

Yes, really good!  We were the only ones there at lunch (it was late and mid week), but they double checked our vax and ids, and told me they were all boosted as well.

We may go tomorrow night for dinner...via car service (remember when we used to call them black cars?).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?