• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG-Inspired Kitchen Gadget Purchases (aka The Enablers' Hall of Fame)

chromedome

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

My mag stirrer/hotplate has arrived!

Note that it is in the regulation labware blue. I know that @rotuts will appreciate this.

At high speed it adds to the kitchen feng shui with a happy burbeling(sp?).  Worth it for just this.

I foresee warm and gently agitated sauces.

20220104_215107.thumb.jpg.1c731e54df987d1f2ddcbf7283decec2.jpg

Well.  This is very cool.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

If you want to dissolve stuff in it you do

I've managed for this long with a spoon, whisk, or as my father used to do with his martini, his finger.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I've managed for this long with a spoon, whisk, or as my father used to do with his martini, his finger.

some things don't dissolve easily, so you could be there stirring for a while.  When I mix hydroponic nutrients, I use a submersible pump in the reservoir to stir the water - makes life a lot easier - but that's for making 30 gallons.  If I only did a liter or so, I'd use a magnetic stirrer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I'm glad your dad didn't take it any farther than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, KennethT said:

some things don't dissolve easily, so you could be there stirring for a while.  When I mix hydroponic nutrients, I use a submersible pump in the reservoir to stir the water - makes life a lot easier - but that's for making 30 gallons.  If I only did a liter or so, I'd use a magnetic stirrer.

When I set up the farm, I'm coming to you for advice!

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I'm glad your dad didn't take it any farther than that.

He tried once with my martini, but I put a stop to that!

My father had lost the tip on his first finger in a press accident when he was in his 20s, working at his uncle's plant (the uncle who invented the underwire bra, as a matter of fact).  So guess which finger he used to stir?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I got this "egg bite" mold last year, but I've only just now gotten round to using it. Must get another! It works beautifully for egg bites, and I suspect it's also going to be my flan mold, so I can make individual flans and try different flavorings.

Instant Pot Official Egg Bite Mold (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Incidentally, it's 50% off right now. Must go over to the Current Sales and Deals topic to announce it!

20230704_095602.jpg

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I think I got this "egg bite" mold last year, but I've only just now gotten round to using it. Must get another! It works beautifully for egg bites, and I suspect it's also going to be my flan mold, so I can make individual flans and try different flavorings.

Instant Pot Official Egg Bite Mold (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Incidentally, it's 50% off right now. Must go over to the Current Sales and Deals topic to announce it!

20230704_095602.jpg

I have a couple of these and I use them to freeze buttermilk and pineapple juice, among other thing.  They hold 1/4 cup each and are handy to have on hand for, say, baking in the case of buttermilk.  Plus, being silicone, they pop right our so once frozen, I store the "pucks" in freezer bags.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I use mine nearly every week. See my post here.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I haven't yet succumbed* but this idea amused me and I'm sure someone else here mght fall for one. Pink bow optional.

I hope I won't fall for it but I would love to know more about it. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I hope I won't fall for it but I would love to know more about it. 

Not a lot to add. Just two rice cookers in one. Can be operated separately or in tandem. So you can make rice and soup (or whatever) simultaneously should you require.

Many people use rice cookers for non-rice cooking tasks so I can see it working for some people, if a bit gimmicky.

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I found one on amazon.ca which promised to do this for me:☞

Double gallbladders can be steamed at the same time, fast steaming for 25 minutes, cooking rice, hot rice, sushi, porridge, soup, stew, noodles, heat preservation, etc.

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Many people use rice cookers for non-rice cooking tasks so I can see it working for some people, if a bit gimmicky.

Some of the 2-pot rice cookers I saw had the word "dormitory" in the description and I can see it being handy for students or someone who didn't have a kitchen but wanted to do a little cooking or reheating of food in a small space.