• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG-Inspired Kitchen Gadget Purchases (aka The Enablers' Hall of Fame)

chromedome

2 hours ago, yimyammer said:

whats a CSO?

Oh dear.  If you have a few weeks to read:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/146617-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-1/#comment-1946869

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, btbyrd said:

That warms my heart!

You're welcome. I've passed off some of my older pans to others. Your tendency to corrupt brings joy beyond your seeing.

@JoNorvelleWalker made me buy Black Beauty (the APO) so Silver Princess (the CSO) has a new home across the river. WIns all round.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, gfweb said:

It is good for that, but after pressure, my fagor can be used to reduce the stock too

not that I'm a hater

So can your IP. Saute setting works like a charm.

I don't remember who all did what, but eG has enabled me to acquire a lot of things I'd probably have never heard of otherwise. First, I think, was the Anova circulator, followed by the IP and the CSO. A Thermapen. A vast variety of Penzey's spices. Duck from Hudson Valley. Misfits Market. Goldbelly. Cajun Grocer (that was @Shelby!), Branston pickle (forgive me, @Kim Shook, but I wasn't impressed). Numerous cheeses. Castelvetrano olives.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

EG enabled my upgrade to an IP where I had been using a regular stovetop pressure cooker.

Also a set of glass "tupperware" that I can't recall the name of.

And indirectly, it contributed to my husband buying an ANOVA SV setup for me for Xmas.

Countless ingredient purveyors

And cookbooks

Edited by Orbit (log)
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

Do you use yours much?  I don't, and concluded it was what I was "supposed" to buy.

If you cook meat, you might consider it. Not for every cut every time...but I use it weekly at least

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

15 hours ago, gfweb said:

If you cook meat, you might consider it.

Oh, I've used it for meat (and other things).  I drag it out occasionally.

In my sacrilegious opinion, SV isn't even that great for steaks.  You get a grey band anyway, and if you SV to most recommended temperatures, by the time it's seared it's gotten too much heat.  Baking in a 120F oven before searing has given me at least as good results as SV.  Many other things, e.g., soft boiled eggs (a la Dave Arnold), are just a crazy waste of time, IMO.

I think they make sense for restaurants, and maybe for batch cooking at home.

I also confess I'm not thrilled over the idea of cooking food in plastic for extended periods.

Edge Pro,, thank you Chad Ward

Anova circulator

Thermapen 

Charles Viancin Silicone lids

I'm sure there's more but I'm away from home for a few days. 

For others who are hearing- compromised I highly recommend Thermoworks Big and Loud Timer.

No IP here. My younger daughter loves hers. We talked and she doesn't see it to be a good fit for my kitchen.

And a special thanks to @Toliver for the bargain books thread.  I've converted to ebooks, so much easier to handle than dead tree books for this old arthritic guy.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Just now, Porthos said:

And a special thanks to @Toliver for the bargain books thread.  I've converted to ebooks, so much easier to handle than dead tree books for this old arthritic guy.

He would have been so happy to hear that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laurentius said:

Oh, I've used it for meat (and other things).  I drag it out occasionally.

In my sacrilegious opinion, SV isn't even that great for steaks.  You get a grey band anyway, and if you SV to most recommended temperatures, by the time it's seared it's gotten too much heat.  Baking in a 120F oven before searing has given me at least as good results as SV.  Many other things, e.g., soft boiled eggs (a la Dave Arnold), are just a crazy waste of time, IMO.

I think they make sense for restaurants, and maybe for batch cooking at home.

I also confess I'm not thrilled over the idea of cooking food in plastic for extended periods.

Try it for tougher cuts like pork roast,  brisket  or finicky ones like turkey breast. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Try it for tougher cuts like pork roast,  brisket  or finicky ones like turkey breast. 

OK, I'll try it.  My sister-in-law uses SV for her spoon lamb and loves it.  Something like 18-hour pork belly makes sense.  I do like SV carrots.

I just don't see (haven't seen) any improvement beyond the Pit for anything like ribs, brisket, and other Q.  In fact, it's more work for a lesser outcome IME.

Not a gadget per se but the many discussions about knives in conjunction with getting my Edge Pro years ago spurred be into a related hobby, finding good knives that had been thrashed at thrift stores and bringing them back to life. Several are in both my and my Sweetie's knife blocks, and more in my knife roll for traveling.  My Sweetie and I are visiting my brother who became a widower very recently and putting many, many meals in his freezer. I grabbed my heavy-duty Chicago Cutlery 8"  chef's knife today for Veggie prep.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My mag stirrer/hotplate has arrived!

Note that it is in the regulation labware blue. I know that @rotuts will appreciate this.

At high speed it adds to the kitchen feng shui with a happy burbeling(sp?).  Worth it for just this.

I foresee warm and gently agitated sauces.

20220104_215107.thumb.jpg.1c731e54df987d1f2ddcbf7283decec2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

My mag stirrer/hotplate has arrived!

Note that it is in the regulation labware blue. I know that @rotuts will appreciate this.

At high speed it adds to the kitchen feng shui with a happy burbeling(sp?).  Worth it for just this.

I foresee warm and gently agitated sauces.

20220104_215107.thumb.jpg.1c731e54df987d1f2ddcbf7283decec2.jpg

Very nice!  Always thought it seemed perfect for cooking but curious how it would handle solutions much more viscous than water. Always annoying to step away and come back to find the stir bar quivering over in the corner of the carboy instead of stirring briskly!  What size stir bars did you get?   
Please keep us posted on how it works out. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Very nice!  Always thought it seemed perfect for cooking but curious how it would handle solutions much more viscous than water. Always annoying to step away and come back to find the stir bar quivering over in the corner of the carboy instead of stirring briskly!  What size stir bars did you get?   
Please keep us posted on how it works out. 

Stir bars are about an inch. We shall see if they tremble with thick stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2