• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG-Inspired Kitchen Gadget Purchases (aka The Enablers' Hall of Fame)

chromedome

Margaret Pilgrim suggested over in the "Kitchen Gadgets You Don't Need" thread that it might be interesting to have a new thread dedicated to those purchases we've made after being inspired by the horde of enablers here at eG. That sounded worthwhile to me, so I took it upon myself to start one. Think of it as a sort of spiritual equivalent to all of those "year in review" pieces we see over the holidays. :)

For me, the notable example would be my Instant Pot. I was decidedly late to the IP party, getting mine just a couple of Christmases ago, and might never have owned one if not for all the enthusiasm here.

ETA that I couldn't possibly single out just one member for inspiring my purchase, but when applicable I think that would lend some additional interest to the thread.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Instant pot- gave it to my daughter-my old Fagor is faster and hotter

Zoj. Ricemaker- still in vigorous use

SV Supreme and Anova 1.0-  weekly use

Big SS griddle- Occasionally

Spiralizer- Never once used...but maybe one day

Breville Smart Oven- Daily use, Invaluable

Cuisineart Steamer ( a eG-related gift) daily use invaluable

Blendtech Bass-o-matic  frequent use

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 5

We recently downsized to a condo.  It does have a pretty large kitchen and ample storage for most non-Egulleters. 
However due to the number of items that I have purchased due to Egullet there is kitchen equipment stashed away in virtually every cupboard in the place😃

Items I have……Sous Vide Polyscience rig, CSO (2 because one needs a spare), IP, Dehydrator, Air Fryer, Vacuum Sealer, Alexa,  dry canister for Vitamix, and too many cookbooks.  There is probably more but this is a start.

• Like 5

These are more in the small appliance category than "gadget" but eG is certainly the cause of their purchase:

Cuisinart combi steam oven (and spare and accessories), my most used appliance  

Instant Pot and various accessories

Paragon precision induction burner

Philips electric grill

Ninja Creami 

ANOVA circulator 

Vacuum sealer (2 of them!)

Ooni pizza oven (still not set up because I haven't gotten a cart and gas tank for it)

Smaller items:

Refractometer (just arrived, haven't used it yet)

Edge-Pro knife sharpener

Darto pans (six, maybe?)

iSi silicone spatulas & bowl scrapers (sadly no longer available)

Danish dough whisk

Stainless steel and silicone ball whisks

Magic spoon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) 

Zyliss corn cob scraper - rarely used and I'm kinda afraid of it

Manual spiralizer - rarely used but kind fun when it is

Tall skinny "asparagus" pot that I use with the Paragon for frying

Many, many bargain ebooks resulting from @Toliver's posts over here and lots of paper cookbooks, too.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Paragon (used only a few times)

Philips Avance Grill

Ninja Creami

Joule

Vacmaster Chamber Vac

Shun knives

Edge Pro

Instant Pots

Breville Smart Oven Air

Stretchtite dispenser

I'm sure there are more.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

52 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

We recently downsized to a condo.  It does have a pretty large kitchen and ample storage for most non-Egulleters. 
However due to the number of items that I have purchased due to Egullet there is kitchen equipment stashed away in virtually every cupboard in the place😃

Items I have……Sous Vide Polyscience rig, CSO (2 because one needs a spare), IP, Dehydrator, Air Fryer, Vacuum Sealer, Alexa,  dry canister for Vitamix, and too many cookbooks.  There is probably more but this is a start.

Ah yes.  I have the extra dry canister for the Vitamix....I was sure I needed it when I got it 15 (?) years ago.  Still haven't used it.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

If it wasn't for @Kerry Beal I'd be cooking open cans from my ice box over a copper tripod fueled by a few sticks of charcoal gathered from the forest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If it wasn't for @Kerry Beal I'd be cooking open cans from my ice box over a copper tripod fueled by a few sticks of charcoal gathered from the forest.

I still am!    I must have missed Kerry's entreaties.    I have almost no appliances.    No Intantpot, rice cooker, crockpot, pressure cooker, smart anythings.    I did fall to the siren calls of the CSO, and may someday really use it.   I do love previously acquired pasta rolling apparatus, ice cream machine(s) and my reach-for Oster mini-processor attachment.  

For those with an original Oster blender, this is one of the workhorses of my kitchen.   For veg of all kinds, cooked or raw meat.  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

3 x SV rigs (dorkfood, Anova, Joule)

countertop oven (cheap Oster french door)

IP (2, 6qt and mini)

A4Box induction cooker  

Paragon (it was cheap)

A Shun knife cheap off Amazon Treasure Truck.

A vintage Toast-R-oven toaster

Blendtec

Thermopens (on sale/clearance)

• Like 4

Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic rice cooker: use it all the time

Thermapen: Husband loves it

Pizza steel: invaluable 

Tamaki Gold sushi rice: delicious

Mala Market: pricey, but a great resource for some hard-to-find products I can't find (or I'm to lazy to look for)  in Oakland Chinatown

No doubt there's more, but I can't think of anything right now

Oh just thought of another: Bamix immersion blender. Don't know how I lived without it.

Not an unqualified success: Trader Joe's recommendations. I'm somewhere about 50/50. There have been  a few good recs, but TJ's is only useful for a few things in MHO. I don't buy a lot of appliances at this point, so no Instant Pot or CSO or SV or blast chillers, etc. 

Edited by Katie Meadow
Added immersion blender (log)
  • Like 3

The many things I purchased as a result of reading about them here are a result of being educated, not enabled. CSO, immersion circulator and APO were the three most recent but there have been several others. 

Edited by cyalexa
to document that I can count to three (log)
  • Like 2

Hmmm.  Where to start? (there isn't likely to be an end!! ;)

Instant Pot  (I bought the first one for home use, then a second one for work)

eZtemper (this one is for work)

Philips Avance Infrared Grill

Breville Smart Oven Air

(and because of this marvelous device, I ended up buying a Breville Waffle Maker for the kid)

Ooni Pizza Oven

Polyscience Induction

Ninja Creami

I have so far resisted Darto pans  (because I would  mess up seasoning them, and I am too afraid of setting off the smoke detectors in the house while doing so....)

and I've also resisted the Blast Freezer but every time Jo mentions hers, I lust after it and go check the website and try to talk myself into it.  When I see the inside space, that's when I walk away - because I want something bigger ;)

I love hearing the first hand use by fellow eGers for new to market devices as well as older things and that's what does it for me - you guys are great!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

Hmmm.  Where to start? (there isn't likely to be an end!! ;)

Instant Pot  (I bought the first one for home use, then a second one for work)

eZtemper (this one is for work)

Philips Avance Infrared Grill

Breville Smart Oven Air

(and because of this marvelous device, I ended up buying a Breville Waffle Maker for the kid)

Ooni Pizza Oven

Polyscience Induction

Ninja Creami

I have so far resisted Darto pans  (because I would  mess up seasoning them, and I am too afraid of setting off the smoke detectors in the house while doing so....)

and I've also resisted the Blast Freezer but every time Jo mentions hers, I lust after it and go check the website and try to talk myself into it.  When I see the inside space, that's when I walk away - because I want something bigger ;)

I love hearing the first hand use by fellow eGers for new to market devices as well as older things and that's what does it for me - you guys are great!

You are aware Vesta offers three sizes of blast freezers?

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou