• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French v. English Editions - Larousse. And - Capon, Georges Blanc?

paul o' vendange

Hello, doing a capon for Christmas Eve and looking around.  I really like Georges Blanc's Le Grand Livre de la Volaille, and he's got several nice ideas in there.  I'm also flipping through my Larousse - 

I have 3 editions. 1961 (English), 1984 (French) and 2001 (English) - and recall an old thread I recently happened upon in which member Bouland, if I recall correctly, didn't have a lot of good things to say about the English translations.  He makes reference to a French 2000 edition, currently on my cart. 

Without two editions back-to-back to compare (e.g., same edition, just French-English releases), I don't know the state of translations across the years - i.e., my two English versions.  Anyone with insight on this?  Anyone have the 2000 French version, and if so, thoughts?

I should note what seems to me to be an oddity:  the 2000 English version has a capon recipe which is actually Blanc's, from the above-mentioned book: Chapon poché et rôti  au gratin de potiron.  The Larousse version varies very slightly in ingredients and temps (e.g., 50 g butter v. 60 in the Blanc recipe on roasting the bird, 220 v. 200C after 30 minutes), and a bit more thorough in the steps, but it's otherwise the same recipe.  I don't see that Blanc is listed as a contributor.  Have I missed something?

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I had only one version of Larousse cookbook (in English) which had an index in French (iirc, or it might have been in English but French alphabetical order). Very unusable. As a child we had French/French and French/English Larousse dictionaries which behaved correctly.

I recall not using the cookbook much, especially after repeatedly not finding what I was looking for. I did look at a few pictures then looked up the associated recipes.

I don't know if I still have the cookbook. Are you interested in it if I can locate it, Paul?

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:08 AM, gfweb said:

I'd be interested in seeing what you produce.  I don't do many capons.

Life has its ways.  Car decided to blow its water pump and radiator fan.  Won't be available until next week.  Capon is out the door as it's a  ways away, going with leg of lamb.  Not complaining!

• Sad 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

On 12/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, TdeV said:

I had only one version of Larousse cookbook (in English) which had an index in French (iirc, or it might have been in English but French alphabetical order). Very unusable. As a child we had French/French and French/English Larousse dictionaries which behaved correctly.

I recall not using the cookbook much, especially after repeatedly not finding what I was looking for. I did look at a few pictures then looked up the associated recipes.

I don't know if I still have the cookbook. Are you interested in it if I can locate it, Paul?

Thanks TdeV, that's really nice of you.  I think I'm good, between these 3 I have.  Just curious if the translations are universally bad across the editions, and if so whether this 2000 French version is worth it.  I'm probably just suffering from a flareup of my chronic CAS.*

*Cookbook Acquisition Syndrome.  Not deadly, unless your spouse kills you.

• Haha 2

-Paul

17 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I think that the question really regards how closely a recipe needs attribution or substantial change from another previously published recipe.    I think there are US guide lines, maybe not same as European or International.   Someone?

Thanks, that's interesting.  Just found it curious.

-Paul