• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A moist 'n chewy chocolate chip cookie, a unique recipe you've not seen before

cteavin

Around the time I rejoined, I was asking questions about cookies using only egg yolks here. As far as I can tell, there are no other cookies like this one. These cookies use only egg yolks, no butter or other fat, yet they are very moist and chewy. I've created a whole bunch of variations but these are what I'd like to introduce you to. They really are delicious and can help you cut the calorie content in half without losing any of the flavor or texture of a regular chocolate chip cookie. 

cookies-4.thumb.jpg.fa37693abfd24d7237ddaf757cd3c90d.jpg

• 2 egg yolks-
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar-
  • 1/2 cup milk powder or whey protein-
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder-
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda-
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla-
  • 1/2 cup flour-
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips and/or walnuts-
  • 1 - 3 tablespoons liquid (water, flavoring, milk, espresso, rum are all great choices)

1. Cream the sugar with the egg yolks and vanilla (food processor is fastest, but you don't need one).
  2. Add the whey, baking powder, baking soda and mix to incorporate.
  3. Add the flour and mix to incorporate.
  4. At this point, your dough will either come together or not. It depends on the size of egg yolks and the humidity in the air. Assuming it hasn't, you add one tablespoon liquid and mix. Mine always comes together after one or two tablespoons of liquid. (The video can show you the texture, clearly.)
  5. Shape into cookies.
  6. Bake for NINE minutes at 350F/180C.
  7. Cool and enjoy.

(Note: You can make these with a sugar substitute but they will not be moist or chewy. If you want to cut the sugar (or calories) further, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 erythritol is as low as you can take it and retain the chew.)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2