• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Christmas Gifts 2021

Darienne

Is anyone making any this year?  I have a feeling that most folks may not want to accept gifts during this Omicron surge.  Our veterinary hospital, to which we usually give something confectionery, just announced yesterday that they were retreating in the opening up of the office, and no one, except the animals, is allowed in once again.  I haven't asked if they would receive edibles as usual...but I have a feeling that the answer would be no.

What are others doing this year?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Giving it a -pass this year again. When I called an elderly friend to see if she had a good calamansi crop for my baklava she said they'd re-seeded the lawn and access to lovely tree was a mud hole, and please don't tempt me - my blood sugar is out of control...Same with the elderly next door neighbors. Service people like mail place, pool guy, trash guy, gardener etc I've taken to giving baked goods randomly during the year - sort of surprises them and they seem to like that.  I may do some baklava (forcing self to buy lemons) and Linzer bars, and pumpkin bread as we roll into 2022. (first time I've typed that!)

• Like 1

I'm doing my usual cookies and small loaves for friends, family and neighbours. Scaled down from previous years, because I've had a LOT on my plate.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I'm doing my usual cookies and small loaves for friends, family and neighbours. Scaled down from previous years, because I've had a LOT on my plate.

But you are quite sure they will receive all happily?  My sister-on-law just posted that they were cancelling their very small Christmas get together.  I would not want to try her on accepting foods...

I'm not sure I have the energy this year to make the usual stuff.  The Queen's annus horribilis was 1992...Mine was 2020.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Giving it a -pass this year again. When I called an elderly friend to see if she had a good calamansi crop for my baklava she said they'd re-seeded the lawn and access to lovely tree was a mud hole,

Reseeded the lawn in December? I know its Cali....

38 minutes ago, Darienne said:

But you are quite sure they will receive all happily?  My sister-on-law just posted that they were cancelling their very small Christmas get together.  I would not want to try her on accepting foods...

Well, given that most of them have checked anxiously to see if I'm still doing it this year, I'm pretty confident. :)

That said, I absolutely *will* be trekking to the (ahem) ONE location in my city where they're offered, to pick up a pack of rapid antigen tests. It's all the way right uptown, on the waterfront, at the cruise ship terminal, and therefore an out-of-the-way trek for most of the city's inhabitants. I generally only go uptown two or three times a year (once, in a good year!) so yeah, I'm motivated.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

33 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Reseeded the lawn in December? I know its Cali....

Its just rye to bring up the green since we are getting rains. Evaristo knows what he is doing - trusted him for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I assume the cancellation is due to Covid and that could be prudent, especially if there are high-risk individuals involved.  On the other hand, it's a respiratory virus, spread largely through the air.  Gatherings with lots of people sharing the same air brings orders of magnitude more risk than dropping off a plate or basket of homemade treats.

There are many reasons to refuse home-cooked food gifts but, to me, Covid isn't one of them.  If your food gifts have been enjoyed in the past and you feel up to and have an interest in making and sharing any this year, I'd go ahead and ask.  

I mentioned bringing a gift of eggnog.  I can imagine many reasons for turning that down.  Raw eggs?  Dairy products?  Personal preference?  I kept the bottles in an insulated bag and when Anna came out to take names to match with orders, I asked if she thought anyone inside would care to try some eggnog made by me and she assured me that it would be well received.  They have plenty of experience with the spiked popsicles that I share with them during the summer so maybe they trust me.  Or they are all young and foolish.  In any case, I'm pretty sure yesterday's "tip" will be enjoyed and not go to waste.  I also understand being reluctant to go to a lot of effort to prepare something that's not going to be appreciated at this time. 

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I mentioned bringing a gift of eggnog.  I can imagine many reasons for turning that down.  Raw eggs?  Dairy products?  Personal preference?  I kept the bottles in an insulated bag and when Anna came out to take names to match with orders, I asked if she thought anyone inside would care to try some eggnog made by me and she assured me that it would be well received.  \

My apologies...I had no idea you had made the eggnog yourself.  I would certainly accept it. 

My sister-in-law is in that vulnerable category.  And our vet has a relative who is also.  As I have gone about my 'limited' business in the nearby city, I have noticed that some places are far more restrictive in their entry and indoor policies than others.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On 12/19/2021 at 5:02 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I made this one and highly recommend it!

Bookmarked that one. ^^^😍

Neighbors are pulling through as always. Really good, enjoyed, and gone. Sharpie came off with BarKeep. Filling it with crackers, (they love), and shortbread if I ever get around to making it. Might be a NewYears gift. 

IMG_2073.jpeg

• Like 2