• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you take your whiskey: neat or with water/ice?

Porthos

That is a very simplistic view of a rather complex subject …

Especially if you consider that guaiacol has an olfactory threshold of 3 ppb. The (potential or calculated) distribution between ethanol vs. predominately watery interface plays very little role …

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"Researchers at Washington State University (WSU) chemically analyzed how much water is too much when it comes to whisky."

Answer: No more than 20%

More in this article: 
https://komonews.com/news/local/washington-state-university-whisky-water-compound-study-journal-foods-research-science-innovation-panel-worldwide-distilled-spirits-conference-bourbon-scotch-malts-drinks

• 2 months later...

Im looking for this whiskie glass :

www.thumb.jpg.8ea69ae15173ae1c342d0876b6591a51.jpg.cc9bac89b9849b5b02e20fda1b4bfcb4.jpg

screen shot from DCI Banks

I have a similar one

if you see it at your Whiskie Emporium

pleas ask doe details.

thanks

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im looking for this whiskie glass :

www.thumb.jpg.8ea69ae15173ae1c342d0876b6591a51.jpg.cc9bac89b9849b5b02e20fda1b4bfcb4.jpg

screen shot from DCI Banks

I have a similar one

if you see it at your Whiskie Emporium

pleas ask doe details.

thanks

This one from NEAT (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) has a similar pinch and flare shape at the top but lacks the heavy base shown in the photo.  The price is quite reasonable, though. 

Here's another one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) from the same company as the one I mentioned above that has a heavier base but with a slightly more rounded shape than the one in your photo.  A little more expensive, but not outrageous. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add glass (log)

My preference is to enjoy whiskey neat. I believe that the unadulterated flavors can take you on a journey through the craft of the distiller - from the grain they selected, through the fermentation process, to the choice of barrel for aging. There's a certain charm in savoring the warmth of the spirit and the story behind each bottle. That's not to discount the value of a dash of water or an ice cube or two, especially in cask-strength whiskies. These additions can mellow the heat of the alcohol, revealing the depth of flavors and nuances in the aroma that might otherwise be missed. I usually find my bottles at Costco - they've got a surprisingly good selection. They stock everything from accessible and well-loved labels like Glenlivet and Jameson to high-end, harder-to-find bottles. And of course, their Kirkland Signature Liquor can be a great value.

Edited by dureMmar (log)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
Just now, Raamo said:

Harmony, I've had it before - I think in Japan so I spent a while hunting for this bottle.

Very nice - I find that a bit smoother than the Master‘s Select. In any case, neat is a great choice 🤗

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, sand castle213 said:

I've found that most people prefer to have it neat but after multiple tries of ordering it neat at the bar just to sound cool I'm convinced that I'm not that guy. throw some rock on there for me.. no shame in my game !!! 

Drink it the way you like it. I think it is kind of funny that some people who are aghast at putting ice in whisky are more than happy to add a bit of water to "open it up"

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 11/9/2023 at 10:23 AM, haresfur said:

Drink it the way you like it. I think it is kind of funny that some people who are aghast at putting ice in whisky are more than happy to add a bit of water to "open it up"

I agree with your first sentence 100%. However, there is a difference between adding ice and adding water. Temperature.

In every pub in Scotland room temperature water is supplied automatically. Ice is frowned on. I tend to take blended whisky neat, but will add a drop of water to a decent malt.

I have little experience of American whiskeys.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto