• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you take your whiskey: neat or with water/ice?

Porthos

On 12/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, TicTac said:

Many people lately are so into cask strength hooch (I do not get the hype given the ethanol burn) - at 120-140 proof, THOSE are fires that require taming (or just to be put as jet engine fuel, quite frankly).

I have a Knob Creek 9yr 120pr Single Barrell store pick that I think would change your mind 😁  

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

58 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I have a Knob Creek 9yr 120pr Single Barrell store pick that I think would change your mind 😁  

I love those KC reserve store picks, but I do find that just a trickle of cold water is something they benefit from.  It's not just the heat.  That touch of additional water seems to release a lot of flavor.  Sometimes I will even pour over a cube of ice, then remove the cube after 10 or 15 seconds.

May not work for you, but definitely does for me!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, donk79 said:

I love those KC reserve store picks, but I do find that just a trickle of cold water is something they benefit from.  It's not just the heat.  That touch of additional water seems to release a lot of flavor.  Sometimes I will even pour over a cube of ice, then remove the cube after 10 or 15 seconds.

May not work for you, but definitely does for me!

Absolutely, nothing wrong with playing around with it.  Sure, the the cask strengths/high proofers will have crazy heat but the complexities in the good ones more than make up for it.    

That wasn't chicken

I order spirits neat occasionally and haven't had a problem with being understood. But I'm usually doing it at places with well-trained staff.

I am a firm believer that a splash of water can open up a spirit and make its subtleties become more apparent. On our first stop touring the bourbon trail, my wife and I visited Heaven Hill in Bardstown. After completing their tour, we did a complimentary tasting where we were offered, among other things, some 18 year old Elijah Craig. It was served alongside a small dropper bottle of water. We were instructed to smell and taste the bourbon neat, then to add a few drops of water to the glass and nose/taste again. The difference between "before" and "after" was not small; the aroma, taste, and overall flavor were much enhanced by the addition of a small amount of water -- not enough to dilute things, but enough to wake up the spirit. I don't know the chemistry of why this happens, but it's undeniable.   

My usual drink at home is booze in a glass with ice. Not a lot of ice, but I do like a cube or two to chill things down slightly and tame the burn -- if I'm going to be having more than one, that is. I also don't tend to put ice in anything that costs more than $35 or so -- with the possible exception of some barrel strength stuff, and then only on occasion. In the expensive stuff, a drop or two of water is all I add. Unless it's the summer time. Or I just feel like it.

I have no principles.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 12/18/2021 at 8:12 AM, Duvel said:

My favorite place to drink has a “neat” day today …

8CEF81FC-7D3D-451E-80E9-338781BDA8F9.thumb.jpeg.3a93d4e944754eea355d1e5b49fcb2e1.jpeg

27B5F568-46CA-41FB-8B9A-D6C2D8151DB7.thumb.jpeg.5f8f6a0e608efa3d2df8f8307c25adba.jpeg

(because when we arrived, the freezer was unplugged)

Pardon my envy. What a wonderful view to enjoy that sip by.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Whiskies that are over proof benefit from a little dilution to calm the alcohol and open up the flavours.But usually I don’t add ice  to high quality whiskies,  

I prefer barrel strength, no water, no ice...but not with dinner.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

18 hours ago, Bernie said:

. I can never understand why people add ice to whiskey, the glass has hopefully been washed in water and that should be as close to whiskey as water comes!

@Bernie: If you graduate to cask strength or general higher proof expressions you will find that not only water is necessary*, but actually beneficial to experience the full range of flavors the whiskey has to offer, as it tames of the alcoholic nose and the volatiles. Similarly, if you are are into peated whiskeys you’ll find that water modulates the smokiness (buy a bottle of Laphroaig and try it out). And lastly, adding ice gives you a chance to sample expressions at higher proof than you would find enjoyful at room temperature. 

At the end - and not only with whiskey - it is all a matter of personal taste (and experience).

—-

*except for @JoNorvelleWalker🤗

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Well @Duvelmy experience suggests water does in fact alter the perceived flavor, even more so in the higher strength whiskeys.

I would suggest that part of the taste sensation is the very strong alcoholic nose and the volatile compounds  associated with the base flavors is the whole flavor profile.

One could eat a strong curry and tame it down by adding taming ingredients such as cream or yogurt but if it was not mandated by the chef,  then the flavor profile is no longer what it was.

If you need to, I guess you could put whiskey in the fridge in a sealed glass but the whiskey maker might object because he expects some of the volatile compounds and alcohol to "boil off" in the glass while it is being consumed.

Even putting in the freezer for a week will definitely tame the strong alcohol and the other very strong volatile flavors and it will drink like a fine liqueur but then perhaps its like the curry it no longer has the original taste profile.

On a similar note most red wine drinkers say to drink wine at "room temperature", but here in Queensland the average room temperature is probably 6~10C higher than in places like Europe. Even in a closed restaurant the air conditioning may be set to 24C because most people dress lightly for the general climate, and a lower temperature may actually feel uncomfortably cold because the air conditioning also removes the humidity.

(the current temperature right now  9am is 28C and humidity is 63% and although it feels "warm" it does not feel overly hot. Lowest overnight was 23.5C at ~4:30am but the humidity was much lower) .

The sweeter wines can taste slightly "cloying" and the red wines taste a lot better if they are on the dry side.

People sometimes add ice to red wine to cool it, but unless you drink really fast the ice will melt and you end up with watered wine.

By all means if you prefer or wish to drink spirits, beer or wine watered down go for it!

Here is a test. Open a bottle of say a 12 year old Glenfiddich and have a couple of drinks (not too much). Seal the bottle and wait 24 hours repeat the 2 drinks. Almost certainly you will find the taste to be different.

Whether the original maker expected you to consume without letting it "breathe" a little we cant tell.

If you water down both drinks each night then I suppose the taste will become closer, but I have never done that.

The very fact that I perceive a change sort of almost requires my consumption to avoid the the change.

(more importantly you could argue that you need to open various whiskeys to confirm your findings...)

• Like 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Each to his own, as my grandmother often said*. With higher proof spirits, I enjoy both a bit of dilution and a cooler than room temp. My ice cube trays make ~ 1 oz cubes. Every now and then, I make a tray of 1/4 oz slivers to use for this purpose. I store them in a zip top with the big clear 2-inch cubes I use in some cocktails.  I add one to a 2 oz pour and am usually happy with that. Maybe I should compare that to adding room temp water?  Or maybe I should just have another 🙃

* another thing she used to say was, “When I go, put a bottle at me head and another at me feet so I’ll have enough 'til I get there.”  No mention of ice nor water!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Always neat, unless in a cocktail.

Some whiskeys, especially stronger ones, I add a few drops of water too. But this really isn't about dilution. Subjectively the whiskey tastes stronger after the drops go in, and the aromas bloom. I haven't read an explanation for this. I suspect it has to do with stuff being liberated at the interface of the high-concentration booze and the zero-concentration water. 

I have an Ardbeg Uigedal (sp?) and a knob creek single barrel that are both high proof, and that taste more full and balanced with a few drops added.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

i have possibly mentioned this :

1 unit Whiskie . 1/2 unit cold water 

I find the water cuts down on the EtOH burn

which is not only harsh , but interferes w the euro-transmission

of whiskie's flavors

some tingle for sure , but not a Big Burn.

BTW :  the @duvel recommended whiskey glasses

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IP5C0K?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

are very nice.  the shape concentrates the aromas very pleasantly.

much better than Rotary , which is highly unusual 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if whiskey is one of those things that taste different to different people (like coriander).  I love a small measure of Laphroaig in a cool glass; add even a small amount of water and the drink is ruined for me.  I do enjoy less distinctive tasting whiskies as cocktail ingredients so not sure why the addition of water alone makes such a difference for me.  

Curious to know if this is just me or an effect recognised by others.  

Edited by DianaB (log)
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 7:41 AM, paulraphael said:

Always neat, unless in a cocktail.

Some whiskeys, especially stronger ones, I add a few drops of water too. But this really isn't about dilution. Subjectively the whiskey tastes stronger after the drops go in, and the aromas bloom. I haven't read an explanation for this. I suspect it has to do with stuff being liberated at the interface of the high-concentration booze and the zero-concentration water. 

I have an Ardbeg Uigedal (sp?) and a knob creek single barrel that are both high proof, and that taste more full and balanced with a few drops added.

Liberated at the interface. L'chaim!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2021 at 7:14 PM, btbyrd said:

I am a firm believer that a splash of water can open up a spirit and make its subtleties become more apparent. On our first stop touring the bourbon trail, my wife and I visited Heaven Hill in Bardstown. After completing their tour, we did a complimentary tasting where we were offered, among other things, some 18 year old Elijah Craig. It was served alongside a small dropper bottle of water. We were instructed to smell and taste the bourbon neat, then to add a few drops of water to the glass and nose/taste again. The difference between "before" and "after" was not small; the aroma, taste, and overall flavor were much enhanced by the addition of a small amount of water -- not enough to dilute things, but enough to wake up the spirit. I don't know the chemistry of why this happens, but it's undeniable.   

My experience 100%.

I still consider this "neat." It's much less water than you'd get if you ordered a whiskey and water. And the effect is the opposite of what anyone would intuitively expect. More flavor, not less. I don't understand the chemistry either. 

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

My experience 100%.

I still consider this "neat." It's much less water than you'd get if you ordered a whiskey and water. And the effect is the opposite of what anyone would intuitively expect. More flavor, not less. I don't understand the chemistry either. 

My understanding is that aromatic components of whiskey are more soluble in ethanol than water, so adding water may take these aromatics out of solution where they are available to your olfactory cells.

That said, I prefer whiskey neat.  🤷🏼‍♂️

@C. sapidus 

''''   adding water may take these aromatics out of solution '''

that's interesting.

I personally doubt it 

when something comes out of solution

iy precipitates.

i add 50 % cold water.

my whiskie remains clear.

for me , water cuts the alcohol burn 

and thus enhances subtle flavors 

Edited by rotuts (log)

my completely unsupported view is

only so much ' information ' can travel the neural pathway

from your taste buds 

to your Central Whiskie Appreciation Spot(s)

if the alcohol is screaming , it mutes out other flavors.

this works for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I agree  that a little water increases flavor.  So far I've not heard a chemically plausible explanation

Oh, you want a chemically plausible explanation? :laugh:

"The taste of whisky is primarily linked to so-called amphipathic molecules, which are made up of hydrophobic and hydrophilic parts. One such molecule is guaiacol, a substance that develops when the grain is dried over peat smoke when making malt whisky, providing the smoky flavour to the whisky," Karlsson explains.

Karlsson and Friedman carried out computer simulations of water/ethanol mixtures in the presence of guaiacol to study its interactions. They found that guaiacol was preferentially associated with ethanol molecules and that in mixtures with concentrations of ethanol up to 45% guaiacol was more likely to be present at the liquid-air interface than in the bulk of the liquid.

"This suggests that, in a glass of whisky, guaiacol will therefore be found near the surface of the liquid, where it contributes to both the smell and taste of the spirit. Interestingly, a continued dilution down to 27% resulted in an increase of guaiacol at the liquid-air interface. An increased percentage, over 59%, had the opposite effect, that is to say, the ethanol interacted more strongly with the guaiacol, driving the molecule into the solution away from the surface,"

Science Daily: Why whiskey tastes better diluted with water

• Like 2