• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DianaB

DianaB

I wonder if whiskey is one of those things that taste different to different people (like coriander).  I love a small measure of Laphroaig in a cool glass; add even a small amount of water and the drink is ruined for me.  I do enjoy less distinctive tasting whiskies as cocktail ingredients so not sure why the addition of water alone makes such a difference for me.  

Curious to know if this is just me or an effect recognised by others.  

DianaB

DianaB

I wonder if whiskey is one of those things that taste different to different people (like coriander).  I love a small measure of Laphroaig in a cool glass suits me perfectly; add even a small amount of water and the drink is ruined for me.  I do enjoy less distinctive tasting whiskies as cocktail ingredients so not sure why the addition of water alone makes such a difference for me.  

Curious to know if this is just me or an effect recognised by others.