• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cakes Book?

paul o' vendange

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible?

Hahahha, um, yeah, that might be a good one.  Sometimes my brain.....

Thanks Weinoo!

• Like 1

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Years ago I happened upon Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes at St. Vinny's, but gorgeous as the cakes are, they are more inspirational (and aspirational) than practicable.  Just an FYI if any don't know about the book.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

The first cake I ever made that was not from a box was a Maida Heatter recipe. Royal Viennese Walnut Torte from her Great Desserts book. I found the recipe card that I'd copied it on oh those 42 years ago - it was a library book. I don't have her cake book but you might want to check it out.  https://www.amazon.com/Maida-Heatters-Cakes-Heatter/dp/0836250745

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, heidih said:

The first cake I ever made that was not from a box was a Maida Heatter recipe. Royal Viennese Walnut Torte from her Great Desserts book. I found the recipe card that I'd copied it on oh those 42 years ago - it was a library book. I don't have her cake book but you might want to check it out.  https://www.amazon.com/Maida-Heatters-Cakes-Heatter/dp/0836250745

Awesome!  Thanks Heidi!

-Paul