• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

I mean cooling your molds after you pour them. Here’s my canned talk 

latent heat

When chocolate is rapidly crystallizing (particularly if it is in good temper) - it gives off heat - “the latent heat of crystallization”. It can get warm enough to throw itself out of temper. You see this sometimes on the side of enrobed pieces that are too close together and not put through a cooling tunnel.  If you pour a large egg, and put it flat side down on the table without air circulation then enough heat will be produced - and hot air rises - to leave a big spot on the top of the egg curve that is out of temper. 

So once you have molded your item, made your shell etc - wait until you see it starting to lose shine and become glossy around the edges - that is the time of most rapid crystallization and the time to pop it into the fridge for 15 minutes or so to carry off that latent heat. A fridge with wire shelves that gives good air circulation all around the mold is ideal. With clear molds - I leave it in until I see the chocolate starting to separate from the mold. 

You don’t want to leave it in too long - if the item gets too cold it will get below the dew point and when you take it back out, condensation will form on the surface. Sugar from the chocolate will move into the water and as that water evaporates you will be left with fine sugar crystals on the surface - ‘sugar bloom’.

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

I mean cooling your molds after you pour them