• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cost of food

gfweb

Two dozen organic brown eggs at Costco was still $7.59 yesterday. I haven't seen any egg issues here, and I've wondered if it's because there's a lot of chicken houses in Georgia. Kroger is sometimes low, but all the other stores are stocked. 

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My granddaughter and I ordered pizza tonight. This is not New York City or Chicago and I don't expect to win that lottery but I do expect that when I order a mushroom and pepperoni pizza I can find the mushrooms and the pepperoni without the help of a microscope. I also expect to find some evidence that there is cheese on said pizza. I would like to complain directly to Domino’s but it would take me most of tonight and part of tomorrow to complete all the bits and pieces of information they require in order to consider my complaint.

I understand the increased costs involved. I am more than prepared to pay more to get a decent pizza but that doesn't seem to be an option.  I am now paying astronomical amounts for some barely flavoured dough!  Uugggghhhhh. 

I live in an area blessed with pizza.  Perhaps not world class pizza, but real pizza.  I can think of eight or more pizzeria* I could walk to on a good day (admittedly I have not enjoyed any good days of late).  However I still see many, many Domino deliveries going past my window.  I do not know why.

A few months ago our manager treated all of us at work to Domino's.  I believe it was the worst pizza I have ever had.

*including three pizzeria I could crawl to bleeding.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think I've mentioned this before, but pertaining to those of us in North America, and probably some of us in Europe, food prices are a blessing compared to some parts of the world.  Sure I would like to pay less, but I have food in my belly, and I can still buy limes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 doz. generic eggs @ TJ's   :   down to $ 2.99

MarketBasket ( just now ) for the same category : $ 3.99

this difference has always been prevalent.

but its now ' flipped '

there is a prize of some sort ( maybe not Nobel Economics )

for sorting this out .

WSJ , where are you on this ?

re: Domino's

a long while back , '80's

the Domino in my area  ( and im sure elsewhere )

had a 30 min or less guarantee'd delivery

or it was free.

I still tipped the driver , but over time

Domino discounted its pizza to me , buy

close to 50 % .

I didn't exactly pick buys times ...

but when the pizza idea cropped up

others were a bit ahead of me

The Early Bird  doesn't get 50 % Off.

and back then the pizza's were quite good.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I live in an area blessed with pizza.  Perhaps not world class pizza, but real pizza.  I can think of eight or more pizzeria* I could walk to on a good day (admittedly I have not enjoyed any good days of late).  However I still see many, many Domino deliveries going past my window.  I do not know why.

A few months ago our manager treated all of us at work to Domino's.  I believe it was the worst pizza I have ever had.

*including three pizzeria I could crawl to bleeding.

Advertising.

Same with hoagies. Why does Subway exist in the Northeast corrider?

And I'd add that Domino's is set up to deliver 10 pizzas, so group-leaders tend to dominize

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

$ 60 for 4 meal-equivalents is pretty steep.

A couple of days ago my GF and I had a burger, a burger combo (hers with a Beyond patty, because she can't eat beef anymore), and upgraded from regular to sweet-potato fries on the combo. It cost us $30 and some-odd cents. 

That's $CDN, mind you. But still.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Although this is not for a meal kit but for fully cooked meals the additional costs really raise the price to an unconscionable level. This is for three main courses. In Ontario we do not pay taxes on fresh food. The packaging fee will be refunded should I decide to order again. 

0A7BAFBF-95E3-4A0B-A0AE-96F03E60E2A9.thumb.jpeg.82bced1d7187a2e53e3512581bd442ad.jpeg

• Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

GST / HST = ?

Goods and services and harmonized sales taxes

• Confused 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Goods and services and harmonized sales taxes

To elaborate, Canada has both a federal sales tax (the Goods and Services Tax, or GST) and - in most provinces - a provincial sales tax. When the GST was introduced, there was some confusion as to whether both taxes should be charged independently on the base price of the product, or whether the GST (like the older federal tax it replaced) should be included in the base price, and then the provincial tax calculated on that total. Ultimately most provinces decided against the tax-on-tax approach, and "harmonized" their sales taxes with the GST.

A given receipt or invoice might detail them separately, but usually they're combined as "GST/HST" and you'll see one number for sales tax.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

so  

sales tax is 16 %  ?

is this for cooked food ?

It varies from province to province, depending on the provincial tax rate, but the total is 15-16 percent in most provinces.

Application of the tax is kind of quirky. If you buy five cookies, those are "snacks" and taxable. If you buy six, it's "groceries" and non-taxable. If you buy a 2-piece chicken meal at the supermarket's deli counter, that's taxable, but if you buy the 10-pack of cold fried chicken from the refrigerated showcase a few feet away it's not. There are many, many such arbitrary examples but they had to draw the line somewhere, I suppose.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

so  

sales tax is 16 %  ?

is this for cooked food ?

It's actually 13% tax. This is for prepared food. So the taxes on the food the delivery and the packaging.

• Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 5 months later...

While I'm not much for sweets and desserts, my friend is and she particularly likes peaches.

Check my local store to find that the cost for enough peaches to make a cobbler would be $14.  Not  going to happen.  I refuse to be ripped off.

To make matters worse I've heard that the peaches this year are not all that good.  Don't know if that's true or not but enough to be wary.

• Like 1

Breakfast cereal .

I don't keep breakfast cereal these days as I have to

1 ) get the box      2 ) keep the seal tight , esp in the summer w the humidity here

2 ) and have milk on hand.

but I had a hankering for it , after all , its crunchy , etc   etc.

I do my best not to buy branded products , if there is a generic that's close enough for me

the advertising cost of branded cereals is for more than average advertising , as its a cut throat market

all those cartoons , all that sugar add up.

I was in MarketBasket and looked at their selection .  they had a fair number of store branded equivalents.

I got a box of generic wheaties , a cereal I like .  no billionaire basketball stars on the cover

$ 5.00 for two boxes.

was at Stop&Shop on another errand , walked down the cereal isle   its a bigger store

the isle was all cereal on once side , and 1/2 on the other .  no generics nor store brands

Wheaties , in a slightly larger box , mostly added air , w a billionaire somebody on the cover :

wait for it :

$ 7.89 .   one box.         if I remember next time Im there , I'll check the actual weight of that box.

Im interested in Economics , and over and over in the WSJ  there are articles on now thin

the margins are on the cereal industry :  General Mills , etc  

and the decline of cereal purchases by percentages recently.

no wonder .

of course all Billionaires covet to be billionaires ++ I guess.

as do Tigers and Flintstones.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Breakfast cereal .

I don't keep breakfast cereal these days as I have to

1 ) get the box      2 ) keep the seal tight , esp in the summer w the humidity here

2 ) and have milk on had.

but I had a hankering for it , after all , its crunchy , etc   etc.

I do my best not to buy branded products , if there is a generic that's close enough for me

the advertising cost of branded cereals is for more than average advertising , as its a cut throat market

all those cartoons , all that sugar add up.

I was in MarketBasket and looked at their selection .  they had a fair number of store branded equivalents.

I got a box of generic wheaties , a cereal I like .  no billionaire basketball stars on the cover

$ 5.00 for two boxes.

was at Stop&Shop on another errand , walked down the cereal isle   its a bigger store

the isle was all cereal on once side , and 1/2 on the other .  no generics nor store brands

Wheaties , in a slightly larger box , mostly added air , w a billionaire somebody on the cover :

wait for it :

$ 7.89 .   one box.         if I remember next time Im there , I'll check the actual weight of that box.

Im interested in Economics , and over and over in the WSJ  there are articles on now thin

the margins are on the cereal industry :  General Mills , etc  

and the decline of cereal purchases by percentages recently.

no wonder .

of course all Billionaires covet to be billionaires ++ I guess.

as do Tigers and Flintstones.

I read last week, in I believe the Wall Street Journal, that Kellog was abandoning the cereal business to concentrate on snacks.  Was that the same article?

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker 

I read that article.   WSJ has had numerous articles over the years 

discussing the  ' Cereal et. al .'  category.   its a huge economic category 

w all sorts of nuance , twists and turns , and ' added ' variables 

if I see an article discussing it , I read it .

for the billions and billions of ' add-ins , and add-ons

when you look at the cereal of your choice  , plain , right there in your bowl

its still just cereal .   maybe muti-colored-techicolor. 

the category is quite surreal once Big Money gets a hold of it.

Id say , Big Cereal is pricing itself out of business 

w so many add-ons  , that don't ever  show up in your Morning Bowl.

Edited by rotuts (log)

2 hours ago, lindag said:

While I'm not much for sweets and desserts, my friend is and she particularly likes peaches.

Check my local store to find that the cost for enough peaches to make a cobbler would be $14.  Not  going to happen.  I refuse to be ripped off.

To make matters worse I've heard that the peaches this year are not all that good.  Don't know if that's true or not but enough to be wary.

Georgia's peach crop was almost completely lost this year due to weather.  If we continue to ignore climate change, we are going to starve ourselves to death.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4