• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cost of food

gfweb

in my area , MB consistently may have lower prices.

bunches of scallions there seem to be

of s9milar size through out the year

some times they are skinny , some times 

a bit more mature.

the prices change based on the season

winter they are more expensive.

maybe they will crack $ 2.oo soon.

There are 2 supermarkets close to my house, they are a block apart from each other, Shop Rite and Acme. As @gfweb notes, Acme is pretty terrible...except for some reason, the store near me generally has better produce than Shop Rite, and runs good sales on it. It doesn't matter as much in the winter, but with the summer fruit, I'm finding it worth my while to make a separate trip.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

in my area , MB consistently may have lower prices.

bunches of scallions there seem to be

of s9milar size through out the year

some times they are skinny , some times 

a bit more mature.

the prices change based on the season

winter they are more expensive.

maybe they will crack $ 2.oo soon.

See - I get 2 beautiful, fresh bunches of scallions for $1 - it all evens out in the long run. 

• Confused 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

21 minutes ago, weinoo said:

See - I get 2 beautiful, fresh bunches of scallions for $1 - it all evens out in the long run. 

But are you getting them at an ethnic market which would make sense?

Scallions are keeping that 

Quiet .

re: ethnic markets :

back in the day I frequented 

an Indian market on Waltham .

Sunday morning only , when they opened.

it was easy to park.

the fresh produce there

was as fresh 

as the other large , conventional 

grocery stores I visited. .

came out of large boxes , similar to boxes in all those places 

bur off somewhat smaller truck.

it was always less expensive .

cilantro ?   maybe not as popular at the larger grocery

stores , thus affection those prices ?

but everything fresh was less expensive,

their assortment was , well , ethnic 

they didn't carry WonderBread 

but their Patak jared pastes 

were very reasonable and they had

a decent selection

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Scallions have an ethnicity?

Obviously not, but Korean, pan-Asian markets tend to have much better prices on produce - in my limited L.A. experience.

• Like 1

Here

its Indian .

however , 

Im  sure there are Hispanic markets 

in many places 

The large Chinese market

I sued to go on Sunday AM 

( parking ) 

had similar lower prices 

fro fresh produce 

and a lot of Chinese fresh produce 

that's just normal 

given a population density 

I generally pay $1.25/ bunch of organically grown scallions at the farmers market. 
$1.29/bunch at Trader Joe’s.  This is also the regular price for organic scallions at Whole Foods but they are $0.89/bunch this week

3 bunches/$1.00 at Vallarta Supermarket (mostly Mexican chain)

5 bunches/$0.99 at Valley Marketplace (small, pan-ethnic chain), on special 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I generally pay $1.25/ bunch of organically grown scallions at the farmers market. 
$1.29/bunch at Trader Joe’s.  This is also the regular price for organic scallions at Whole Foods but they are $0.89/bunch this week

3 bunches/$1.00 at Vallarta Supermarket (mostly Mexican chain)

5 bunches/$0.99 at Valley Marketplace (small, pan-ethnic chain), on special 

Yes - but just try and buy a house there!

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

some places that

sell scallions 

as noted , the price of food

have different prices 

for the floor we enjoy waking around in

[ Ed :  Barf aside , small and large  ]:

A Millonzzes @  square-foot   ( SqFt for now )

a Billonzzes @ SqFt

a Trillionzzes @ SqFt.

this pressures 

the price of scallions .

drunk.jpeg.bd6578499113fe9a689fdffaf4c3747e.jpeg

35 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Bought some Ranier cherries yesterday.  An eye-watering $15.99 a pound.

Are they at least approaching excellent?

Gotta say prices have curbed my snack impulse purchasing. A massive kettle corn craving hit. Cost of MW stuff put me right off. I'd prefer the stuff from copper kettle at farmers market but no access. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Are they at least approaching excellent?

Gotta say prices have curbed my snack impulse purchasing. A massive kettle corn craving hit. Cost of MW stuff put me right off. I'd prefer the stuff from copper kettle at farmers market but no access. 

They are very, very good.  I am trying to ration them as that bunch is likely to be it for the year.  I got my first Ottawa grown tomatoes yesterday.  There is a man who grows them in his backyard and has them for sale.  They are delicious.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

They are very, very good.  I am trying to ration them as that bunch is likely to be it for the year.  I got my first Ottawa grown tomatoes yesterday.  There is a man who grows them in his backyard and has them for sale.  They are delicious.

Savoring the best of the season :)

• Like 1

In a topic I do no recall, snow crab was mentioned as super high priced now. Today at Ralphs (Kroger) fat long legs with nice clusters were $8.99/lb.  The King Crab legs though --- $60/lb

Seafood has jumped up 30-40%. Not all but most. 

I have a good rotation now. I spend about an hour Sunday mornings and check just a few markets. We are seasonal so I support local farms this time of year. I check FreshDirect, Misfits, and get a local Farm share for proteins every three-4 months--WaldenLocal. FreshDirect is a local delivery that has good prices being a distribution center without the overhead of a grocery. Every two-three months. Misfits once a month now. 

Watching for sales gives us some seasonal treats like the lobsters, oysters, salt cod, lamb ribs, noodles, pastas, case of mangoes, and some wonton wrappers for the freezer. No interest in Costco these days. Or our local Italian market that started over-salting their sausages a few years ago. Sadly not on our rotation at all anymore. Hilarious four generations small grocery singing on the loudspeaker non-stop. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.00.27 AM.png

• Like 2

I know artichokes are not local to NY, but one of my favorite markets has them once a year and gorgeous. They support local but need to offer other veg to survive. True butcher and fish monger. Seeing the fish monger filleting big cod, I asked for a few heads for stock. "come back in 15 minutes"....I had three heads for stock, but even better I had six cheeks and three tongues/throats for a delicacy appetizer. 

Adams is just 5 minutes off the NYState thruway. Kingston. 4 locations now. Story's is our farm stand favorite. On the way to weekend Catskill road trips. The Farber farm sells local but no website. They sell to NYC restaurants. Angus beef.

Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.48.44 AM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

That pricey lettuce: a virus transmitted by thrips and amped up by climate chnge? Does NOT sound good. LA Times today:

Farmers who grow lettuce, spinach, kale and other leafy greens in California and Arizona say the last few years have been “noticeably bad.” In October and November, dual outbreaks of a soil-borne disease and an insect-transmitted virus ravaged the Salinas Valley and caused thousands of acres of lettuce crops to wilt.

Now, winter growing schedules and changing weather patterns mean the bad luck has migrated from the Central Coast valley to the desert farming regions near the U.S.-Mexico border. As a result, consumers across the country may see stark price increases in lettuce.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

My granddaughter and I ordered pizza tonight. This is not New York City or Chicago and I don't expect to win that lottery but I do expect that when I order a mushroom and pepperoni pizza I can find the mushrooms and the pepperoni without the help of a microscope. I also expect to find some evidence that there is cheese on said pizza. I would like to complain directly to Domino’s but it would take me most of tonight and part of tomorrow to complete all the bits and pieces of information they require in order to consider my complaint.

I understand the increased costs involved. I am more than prepared to pay more to get a decent pizza but that doesn't seem to be an option.  I am now paying astronomical amounts for some barely flavoured dough!  Uugggghhhhh. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Eggs today at my Grocery Outlet ranged from $6.99 to $8.99.    Period.   Just cage free, not organic or pastured.

At least you got some.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

45 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My granddaughter and I ordered pizza tonight. This is not New York City or Chicago and I don't expect to win that lottery but I do expect that when I order a mushroom and pepperoni pizza I can find the mushrooms and the pepperoni without the help of a microscope. I also expect to find some evidence that there is cheese on said pizza. I would like to complain directly to Domino’s but it would take me most of tonight and part of tomorrow to complete all the bits and pieces of information they require in order to consider my complaint.

I understand the increased costs involved. I am more than prepared to pay more to get a decent pizza but that doesn't seem to be an option.  I am now paying astronomical amounts for some barely flavoured dough!  Uugggghhhhh. 

I wouldn't expect much of a Domino pie

13 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I wouldn't expect much of a Domino pie

I didn't expect much. I got even less. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog