• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low-Carb Food...

Martin Fisher

I'm back on the low-carb bandwagon! :)

I'm such a bonehead!

I need to stay on rich and elegant low-carb ALL THE TIME!

Skinny people food causes me lots of problems. xD

First up: Steamed broccoli and sous vide chicken breast smothered in beurre monté!!! :raz:

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Haha 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Skinny people food causes me lots of problems. xD

Same here.  Research has shown that long term low carb can encourage carb intolerance, and, if you're reducing calories, long term calorie reduction can screw up your metabolism and hinder weight loss efforts, so, occasional breaks are a good idea.  In practice, though, breaks have been miserable for me.  I even tried to phase back carbs slowly this time, and I still felt super crappy. Maybe next break, I'll have figured it out better, but, right now, I couldn't be happier to go back to food that makes me feel good.

• Like 2

More chicken and Frenched green beans in melty cheese sauce.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

For that claim I’d like to see a reference, please.

https://journals.humankinetics.com/view/journals/ijsnem/30/3/article-p210.xml
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903931/
https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpendo.00580.2013?rfr_dat=cr_pub++0pubmed&url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org

And, just to be clear, I'm not implying that low carb diets cause diabetes.  The carb intolerance that long term low carb diets produce is temporary.  Simply put, when you stop eating carbs, your body takes time to get fat adapted, and, after you spend months being fat adapted, it can take a little time to get carb adapted after you go back to carbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

@DiggingDogFarm, your recipe for buerre monté doesn't reference the amount of water to be mixed with butter.

Requires just a tiny bit of water to start the process.

4 hours ago, scott123 said:

The carb intolerance that long term low carb diets produce is temporary.

Thanks. That is one of the the conclusions of the selected articles, if the studied rodent specimens were subjected to a standard diet after a limited period on low carb. I think it would have helped (me at least) if you would have opened with that context, as remaining on a low carb diet does produce exactly the opposite effects.

Edited by Duvel (log)

16 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Teaspoon, Tablespoon, 1/2 cup?

Teaspoon

• Thanks 1

After a metabolically destructive foray into bread baking, I have basically been eating a low-carb diet for the last six years or so.   I do eat on the higher end of low-carb, which I seem to be able to tolerate well at my current level of muscularity.  At times, when trying to accomplish something specific, I have gone keto for a limited period of time.  Usually it's to restore metabolic flexibility when I've accidentally (but not usually surprisingly) tripped myself into the carb-craving gluttony.  

Anyway, because I don't have problems digesting vegetables, I can eat any of 'em that grow above the ground.  I don't eat a whole of sweet corn (it helps that I don't like it unless it is, specifically, Silver Queen).  The key for me is to always force-finish a measured and large quantity of full protein, and eat whatever else of the other food that I feel like.  

And my basic go-to meal when I can't think about anything, is a nice piece of meat and a sauteed green vegetable.  Or -- a salad! Otherwise known as raw green vegetables . . . .

I like rich sauces, and think it's an awesome age-old way to trick-out some basic meat, simply cooked; but unfortunately I seem to have become a person that is too tired to make them all that often. 

The simplicity of my home cooking these days is kind of strange given how interesting my food was fifteen years ago.  I admit it makes me nervous sometimes, that i've gotten downright boring where I used to be, quite frankly, pretty flippin' exciting.  

But.  It is an easy enough diet for me, since I love all the meats and, at the moment, can afford it in good quantities.  And once you become accustomed to what it feels like to have an even blood sugar almost all the time -- the insulin excursions become unbearable.  My cousin was trying to get me to have rum cake for breakfast over Thanksgiving, and I had to explain to him just how homicidal I would become for the morning monopoly tournament if I even thought about such a thing . . . .  .  

It's amazing how very very sweet everything becomes due to the natural sweetness in many foods, when you only eat a very tiny amount of refined carbohydrates. 

For example, soda now tastes like the stuff you drink for the glucose tolerance test:  diabolical.  

And I further confess:  so does balsamic vinegar.  It tastes like candy.  

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1