• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Do You Deal with Handicaps in the Kitchen?

Marlene

24 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Good idea.   This stylistic catastrophe is quite prevalent on websites.     White script on a yellow background, for instance, seems particularly popular at the moment,

As someone who visits scores (sometimes hundreds) of websites/day in the line of work, this is an increasing irritation for me. Tone-on-tone text, print that can't be resized (ie enlarged) without breaking the page layout, it's just infuriating.

I would be very surprised indeed if there's not a significant legal push to extend the ADA to US-based sites (and eventually similar guidelines to non-US sites). As online life becomes more central to everyone, sites' failings on the accessibility front are increasingly conspicuous.

• Like 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

It’s really just bad design and lack of training in accessibility. Another thing is that images can look great and have good contrast on a computer monitor, but when translated to paper, or on another monitor even, it all changes.

I don't even like to think about the print on medicine bottles.

• Sad 2

Not the kitchen but food prep related. My messed up manual dexterity will not allow me to open plastic bags at grocery store. I've tried moisture from wet veg, and licking fingers w/ Covid not a done thing. So - I ask an employee. They oblige with a smile usually. Sounds simple but asking for help is often a hard thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Not the kitchen but food prep related. My messed up manual dexterity will not allow me to open plastic bags at grocery store. I've tried moisture from wet veg, and licking fingers w/ Covid not a done thing. So - I ask an employee. They oblige with a smile usually. Sounds simple but asking for help is often a hard thing.

I had the same problem so I bought these.

20220427_111134.thumb.jpg.f8100d67d496b06b20e1e759bc4f011a.jpg

They're kind of a lightweight nylon mesh with drawstring tops and I got them on Amazon. I don't have the link but they were one of the best investments that I've ever made.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

I walk over to the portion of the produce section where greens and herbs get misted regularly, moisten my fingers there, and then open the bag.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

then open the bag

That might work well in some supermarkets but I have found that they are going for thinner and cheaper bags in most markets and they are impossible to tear off cleanly and almost impossible to open.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

That might work well in some supermarkets but I have found that they are going for thinner and cheaper bags in most markets and they are impossible to tear off cleanly and almost impossible to open.

And then they rip open anyway....spilling the contents wherever...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 minutes ago, Darienne said:

And then they rip open anyway....spilling the contents wherever...

Why it is nice having the empoyee open them. I only use the pkastic for things that leak cuz they have just bwen spritzed.  I set some unbgged kale in the cart the ther day. The sweet cashier said to be careful as the egg carton was damp. It was soaked! Carton fell apart on my counter...no eggs lost though they needed a towel-off

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

I walk over to the portion of the produce section where greens and herbs get misted regularly, moisten my fingers there, and then open the bag.

That's what I do -- or did.  New Jersey is outlawing plastic bags next week.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That's what I do -- or did.  New Jersey is outlawing plastic bags next week.

Plastic shopping bags (single-use) are outlawed here as well, but oddly the plastic produce bags are still allowed. I'm not sure why.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

Plastic shopping bags (single-use) are outlawed here as well, but oddly the plastic produce bags are still allowed. I'm not sure why.

Not sure what we will find in the stores next week.  I love the idea of reducing plastic waste, but I dread the effect on my getting groceries home.  I have canvas bags.  But the length of my arms is out of proportion to my height.  I suppose you could call that a disability.  When I lug canvas bags they drag along the ground.  Ever puncture a hole in a gallon of milk?  In a library?

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

but I dread the effect on my getting groceries home. 

I have something like this that I take to the farmer's market. Maybe it would work for you. Although I can't believe the price. I think I paid about 16 bucks for mine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I have something like this that I take to the farmer's market. Maybe it would work for you. Although I can't believe the price. I think I paid about 16 bucks for mine.

Thanks, but wheels would not work for me.  Maybe not even tank treads.

• Sad 1

On 4/26/2022 at 9:29 PM, gfweb said:

Me too. I know my right and left.

Its your right and left that confound me.

My girls are completely used to my directions re: turns in the car. “Your way” and “my way.”

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The weird thing for me is that I can get it right every time if I'm giving directions in Spanish but in English, I have to point and say that way.

Does not being able to distinguish north, south, east, and west count as directional aspasia? There is no such thing as a straight Road here in Costa Rica. I get so turned in my directions that it is scary. For instance, for me, at my house the Sun comes up in the south and sets in the North.

This makes it really hard for me to find places in Costa Rica because they have never been able to figure out how to put street addresses on anything. Everything is given by directions. For instance, our official address is 25 m. South of Farmacia San Joaquin. It doesn't help that that pharmacy has been gone for 10 years. I usually have to hunt up the nearest church because all churches face West except for the ones that don't. But that is Costa Rica.

I am one of those people (and they are thousands of us if not millions) who always know where north is, which means where every other compass point is.  Blindfold me, drive me for days to somewhere I've never been, spin me around until I'm dizzy and ask me to point to the north and I do it every time. I don't know how.

What bugs me is not so much colour. Yeah, white text on yellow is just stupid but it's not really about colour. It's about contrast. And online restaurant menus are among the worst!

At least in the EU and I think still the UK there is legislation to ensure website are visually accessible. I am not sure how well that is enforced, however.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I am one of  those people (and they are thousands of us if not millions)  who always know where north is

You are so lucky. I very seldom get lost because I'm able to retain a visual map in my mind and once I have been somewhere I never forget it. But if you ask me if I had to go north, south, east, or west to get there I couldn't tell you.

I have one friend who is so challenged that she had to give up on driving a car because she could never find her way back home again.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You are so lucky. I very seldom get lost because I'm able to retain a visual map in my mind and once I have been somewhere I never forget it. But if you ask me if I had to go north, south, east, or west to get there I couldn't tell you.

I have one friend who is so challenged that she had to give up on driving a car because she could never find her way back home again.

Your friend sounds a bit like me; I've told people that I could get lost leaving an empty room.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You are so lucky.

I think it may be hereditary. My father was the same, but my mother was capable of getting lost just trying to get out of bed!

She certainly couldn't find her way around a kitchen!

• Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

but my mother was capable of getting lost just trying to get out of bed!

For some of us that is sad but true. Our house is huge with a weird floor plan. After 22 years I still need Night Lights to find the bedroom doors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

How about a backpack?

Oh, I do use a backpack.  The backpack doesn't hold everything.

• Sad 1