• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

Here is another idea: Scrubbing is a pain for anyone. This is what I do:

I know I am abescent minded and burn food  often. I am also a messy griller with BBQ baked on grates. 

So I have a good size plastic bin outside the house. The bin is filled with water and the water has a few table spoons of sodium hydroxide (Amazon, cheap) dissolved in it.  Any cookware with thick grease, burnt on food gets thrown into the sodium hydroxide solution. The next day I can just wash the baked on stuff away with a garden hose. No scrubbing needed.

Of course I make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection  to do this.

Also, you cannot do this to aluminum cookware.

dcarch

Note: Sodium hydroxide (what makes Liquid Plumber work) is highly corrosive. It's powerful enough to clear clotted plumbing lines. Do  not have around if you have children in the house.

dcarch

dcarch

I know I am albescent minded and burn food  often. I am also a messy griller with BBQ baked on grates. 

So I have a good size plastic bin outside the house. The bin is filled with water and the water has a few table spoons of sodium hydroxide (Amazon, cheap) dissolved in it.  Any cookware with thick grease, burnt on food gets thrown into the sodium hydroxide solution. The next day I can just wash the baked on stuff away with a garden hose. No scrubbing needed.

Of course I make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection  to do this.

dcarch

Note: Sodium hydroxide (what makes Liquid Plumber work) is highly corrosive. It's powerful enough to clear clotted plumbing lines. Do  not have around if you have children in the house.

dcarch

dcarch

I know I am albescent minded and burn food  often. I am also a messy griller with BBQ baked on grates. 

So I have a good size plastic bin outside the house. The bin is filled with water and the water has a few table spoons of sodium hydroxide dissolved in it.  Any cookware with thick grease, burnt on food get thrown into the sodium hydroxide solution. The next day I can just wash the baked on stuff away with a garden hose. No scrubbing needed.

Off cause I make sure to wear rubber gloves and eye protection  to do this.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

So I have a good size plastic bin outside the house. The bin is filled with water and the water has a few table spoons of sodium hydroxide dissolved in it.  Any cookware with thick grease, burnt on food get thrown into the sodium hydroxide solution. The next day I can just wash the baked on stuff away with a garden hose. No scrubbing needed.

dcarch

Note: Sodium hydroxide is highly corrosive. It's powerful enough to clear clotted plumbing lines. Do  not have around if you have children in the house.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch