• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I wonder if anyone has ever seen a cook, in a professional kitchen setting, using anything other than dry side towels?

You make several, if unintended, good points.    No, a pro would use one of his endlessly available side towels.   AND/BUT a pro would have extensive practice in how to use a side towel as a hot pot handler.   

(I think I remember a conversation we had about your reticence with maneuvering 500degree cast iron DO's recommended in No-Knead bread production.   I totally agree that I could never hoist my heated DOs with a well folded side towel or two, but I have excellent control using the quad-layered terry mitts.    But we all agree that our mileage is idiosyncratic. )

I use these terry "mitts" more often as a super thick pot-holder than as a mitt.  i use high oven and burner heat often and need something that allows me to quickly move vessels in or out of or on and off of heat.   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I wonder if anyone has ever seen a cook, in a professional kitchen setting, using anything other than dry side towels?

You make several, if unintended, good points.    No, a pro would use one of his endlessly available side towels.   AND/BUT a pro would have extensive practice in how to use a side towel as a hot pot handler.   

(I think I remember a conversation we had about your reticence with maneuvering 500degree cast iron DO's recommended in No-Knead bread production.   I totally agree that I could never hoist my heated DOs with a well folded side towel or two, but I have excellent control using the quad-layered terry mitts.    But we all agree that our mileage is idiosyncratic. )

I use these terry "mitts" more often as a super thick pot-holder than as a mitt.  i use high over and burner heat often and need something that allows me to quickly move vessels in or out of or on and off of heat.   

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

53 minutes ago, weinoo said: