• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

My worst issue is memory!

I need to set timers for EVERYTHING, even to remind me to turn off the burner!!! :shock:

There is an item called Cook Stop and here's one source in the USA. https://www.absoluteautomation.ca/products/cookstop-automatic-stove-shut-direct-wire?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMGNBhCyARIsANpUkzPoa3gAI0eaYoqesnT5sh3u8jPCfEtFIjD_e7ulSf5bsHxoz2IQGEAaAgDuEALw_wcB

It can be installed right into the stove between the wall outlet and the stove plug and it has a lot of different possibilities for turning your stove and oven off.  Ed has caused fires in the kitchen twice this year and so we bought one (our second...the first one died a few years ago) and now the stove will turn itself off after 'X' number of minutes if there isn't someone present attending to the stove.  There is also one made for gas stoves but it requires a licenced person to install it.  

The unit does have its drawbacks...the longest you can set it to stay on is two hours which of course means that if your food takes a goodly number of hours to cook/bake/roast/etc, you have to return and reset the thing.  The older original model wasn't quite so fancy with all the electronic bells and whistles, but you could turn it off completely if you chose.  Not to mention how much more the thing cost in Canada.  Rats. 

You might look into it as a possibility.

Darienne

Darienne

7 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

My worst issue is memory!

I need to set timers for EVERYTHING, even to remind me to turn off the burner!!! :shock:

There is an item called Cook Stop and here'sone source in the USA. https://www.absoluteautomation.ca/products/cookstop-automatic-stove-shut-direct-wire?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzMGNBhCyARIsANpUkzPoa3gAI0eaYoqesnT5sh3u8jPCfEtFIjD_e7ulSf5bsHxoz2IQGEAaAgDuEALw_wcB

It can be installed right into the stove between the wall outlet and the stove plug and it has a lot of different possibilities for turning your stove and oven off.  Ed has caused fires in the kitchen twice this year and so we bought one (our second...the first one died a few years ago) and now the stove will turn itself off after 'X' number of minutes if there isn't someone present attending to the stove.  There is also one made for gas stoves but it requires a licenced person to install it.  

The unit does have its drawbacks...the longest you can set it to stay on is two hours which of course means that if your food takes a goodly number of hours to cook/bake/roast/etc, you have to return and reset the thing.  The older original model wasn't quite so fancy with all the electronic bells and whistles, but you could turn it off completely if you chose.  Not to mention how much more the thing cost in Canada.  Rats. 

You might look into it as a possibility.