• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread recipes for sealed bread pans?

Smithy

Here's the back story: I have a new friend whose mother died recently, and who is clearing out her mother's house. Her mother collected clocks. Big clocks. Little clocks. Lots and lots of clocks, and they all need to be shipped to purchasers, and my friend needs packing materials. That's how we met: I get stuff through the mail that's bubble-wrapped or otherwise cushioned; I give her those packing materials. 

When she discovered that I love to bake, it became a running gag for her to give me some doodad cluttering up her or her mother's house (that I don't need either, but it's funny) in exchange for packing materials. I now have a set of baking pans that seal at both ends, the way you can make specialty loaves and then slice the bread into cute little shapes for canapes. I'm pretty sure my mother had some too. Heck, I may have hers in storage.

I want to try using these things to make fun-shaped bread but have no idea what sort of constraints there are on the dough. Are the any special recipes to be used? Time, temperature? Grease the bejabbers out of them? (One has fluted edges. I'm showing you the simple heart-shaped one.) Or maybe these are for some fancy pâté instead and I'm on the wrong track altogether...?

Suggestions, guidance and recipes, please!

20211204_153002.jpg

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Do a Google search for “boston loaf south africa” and see what comes up. Usually a fruit or date style bread, sliced for tea or coffee.

• Thanks 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.