• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

16 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

it's listed at 2000 watts - which is technically doable in a modern kitchen as most codes now require 20 amp circuits to the kitchen.

there's also something funny about 'it's 220v they put a 110v plug on' - the physics of that don't work....

as I've delved into various reviews, it sorta' looks like the wall oven remains the best option . . . PITA and all...

I've been on hiatus for about a year, but, before that, I spent about 15 years helping home cooks improve their pizza game.  Because of the importance of a good broiler to pizza, I've spent countless hours researching ovens, entering  wattages (and BTUs) into spreadsheets and examining broiler element photos.  I wouldn't say that the VBENLEM 2k watt model has the best broiler I've ever seen, but, it's definitely in the top three.  Its so impressive that I'm almost tempted to tell you to swap out the plug and wire a 220v outlet to your kitchen.  But an oven is more than just an element, and, if they're that ignorant with the 120v plug, then, who knows what other mistakes they're making with this thing.  For instance, it's very common for Chinese countertop ovens to be underinsulated (high temp insulation is expensive), so there's a really good chance that this oven might get way too hot to mount on a wall, and there's also a good chance it will lack the necessary insulation to protect it's electronic components.

There's a chance that, at some point, you might see an Amazon reviewer who'll post something like "I swapped out the plug and plugged it into a 220v outlet and man is this thing a BROILING BEAST! I've also been using it for a few months and it appears to be built to last."  But, with what we know now, sadly, I wouldn't risk my money on it.

Have you considered making your wall oven less of a PITA to broil in?  A good technician should be able to rewire the switch that's controlled by the button to be always on.  If you're handy, you might even be able to do it yourself. Would not having to depress the switch during broiling make it any easier to work with?  If the door doesn't stay cracked easily (some don't), then there might be a workaround for that as well, but rewiring the switch would be a relatively easy first step.

scott123

scott123

it's listed at 2000 watts - which is technically doable in a modern kitchen as most codes now require 20 amp circuits to the kitchen.

there's also something funny about 'it's 220v they put a 110v plug on' - the physics of that don't work....

as I've delved into various reviews, it sorta' looks like the wall oven remains the best option . . . PITA and all...

I've been on hiatus for about a year, but, before that, I spent about 15 years helping home cooks improve their pizza game.  Because of the importance of a good broiler to pizza, I've spent countless hours researching ovens, entering  wattages (and BTUs) into spreadsheets and examining broiler element photos.  I wouldn't say that the VBENLEM 2k watt model has the best broiler I've ever seen, but, it's definitely in the top three.  Its so impressive that I'm almost tempted to tell you to swap out the plug and wire a 220v outlet to your kitchen.  But an oven is more than just an element, and, if they're that ignorant with the 120v plug, then, who knows what other mistakes they're making with this thing.  For instance, it's very very common for Chinese countertop ovens to be underinsulated (high temp insulation is expensive), so there's a really good chance that this oven might get way too hot to mount on a wall, and there's also a good chance it will lack the necessary insulation to protect it's electronic components.

There's a chance that, at some point, you might see an Amazon reviewer who'll post something like "I swapped out the plug and plugged it into a 220v outlet and man is this thing a BROILING BEAST! I've also been using it for a few months and it appears to be built to last."  But, with what we know now, sadly, I wouldn't risk my money on it.

Have you considered making your wall oven less of a PITA to broil in?  A good technician should be able to rewire the switch that's controlled by the button to be always on.  If you're handy, you might even be able to do it yourself. Would not having to depress the switch during broiling make it any easier to work with?  If the door doesn't stay cracked easily (some don't), then there might be a workaround for that as well, but rewiring the switch would be a relatively easy first step.

scott123

scott123

I've been on hiatus for about a year, but, before that, I spent about 15 years helping home cooks improve their pizza game.  Because of the importance of a good broiler to pizza, I've spent countless hours researching ovens, entering  wattages (and BTUs) into spreadsheets and examining broiler element photos.  I wouldn't say that the VBENLEM 2k watt model has the best broiler I've ever seen, but, it's definitely in the top three.  Its so impressive that I'm almost tempted to tell you to swap out the plug and wire a 220v outlet to your kitchen.  But an oven is more than just an element, and, if they're that ignorant with the 120v plug, then, who knows what other mistakes they're making with this thing.  For instance, it's very very common for Chinese countertop ovens to be underinsulated (high temp insulation is expensive), so there's a really good chance that this oven might get way too hot to mount on a wall, and there's also a good chance it will lack the necessary insulation to protect it's electronic components.

Have you considered making your wall oven less of a PITA to broil in?  A good technician should be able to rewire the switch that's controlled by the button to be always on.  If you're handy, you might even be able to do it yourself. Would not having to depress the switch during broiling make it any easier to work with?  If the door doesn't stay cracked easily (some don't), then there might be a workaround for that as well, but rewiring the switch would be easier.

scott123

scott123

I've been on hiatus for about a year, but, before that, I spent about 15 years helping home cooks improve their pizza game.  Because of the importance of a good broiler to pizza, I've spent countless hours researching ovens,, entering  wattages (and BTUs) into spreadsheets and examining broiler element photos.  I wouldn't say that the VBENLEM 2k watt model has the best broiler I've ever seen, but, it's definitely in the top three.  Its so impressive that I'm almost tempted to tell you to swap out the plug and wire a 220v outlet to your kitchen.  But an oven is more than just an element, and, if they're that ignorant with the 120v plug, then, who knows what other mistakes they're making with this thing.  For instance, it's very very common for Chinese countertop ovens to be underinsulated (high temp insulation is expensive), so there's a really good chance that this oven might get way too hot to mount on a wall, and there's also a good chance it will lack the necessary insulation to protect it's electronic components.

Have you considered making your wall oven less of a PITA to broil in?  A good technician should be able to rewire the switch that's controlled by the button to be always on.  If you're handy, you might even be able to do it yourself. Would not having to depress the switch during broiling make it any easier to work with?  If the door doesn't stay cracked easily (some don't), then there might be a workaround for that as well, but rewiring the switch would be easier.

scott123

scott123

15 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I've been on hiatus for about a year, but, before that, I spent about 15 years helping home cooks improve their pizza game.  Because of the importance of a good broiler to pizza, I've spent countless hours researching ovens, crunching wattages and examining broiler element photos.  I wouldn't say that the VBENLEM 2k watt model has the best broiler I've ever seen, but, it's definitely in the top three.  Its so impressive that I'm almost tempted to tell you to swap out the plug and wire a 220v outlet to your kitchen.  But an oven is more than just an element, and, if they're that ignorant with the 120v plug, then, who knows what other mistakes they're making with this thing.  For instance, it's very very common for Chinese countertop ovens to be underinsulated (high temp insulation is expensive), so there's a really good chance that this oven might get way too hot to mount on a wall, and there's also a good chance it will lack the necessary insulation to protect it's electronic components.