• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

typo lol

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Annie_H, here's a recipe from Kerrygold that calls for a cup of flour and a cup of cornflour. 

So many typos in recipes. It is one cup flour to 1/2 cup corn flour in that recipe as it reads. Still a bit more corn starch than I usually see in recipes here. Those that bake often is it common to stock a pound or more of corn starch in your pantry? My container lasts forever. 

In two of Melisa Clark's shortbread recipes she says that as long as you follow the basic one cup flour to one cup butter you're good to go. Then her listed ingredients in two recipes call for 2 cups flour, one cup butter. No corn starch. But corn starch is so neutral it might let the butter shine I suppose. 

I do stand corrected with a bow to the queen if I'm way off mark. I have a home in Canada that did confuse me at first. In my small village market they only have course cornmeal that needed soaking overnight. (used my spice grinder then brought up a flour mill in my luggage eventually). I used Bird's custard for my sweet tooth visiting FIL and at the time had no idea 'corn four' listed on the label is actually corn starch. Makes sense. 

My baking leans heavily to the savory side. Crackers, flatbreads, sweet potato/kale chips, dark chocolate, etc. Why this interests me. Shortbread falls in the middle. Caloric but not sick sweet. 

Annie_H

Annie_H

typo lol

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Annie_H, here's a recipe from Kerrygold that calls for a cup of flour and a cup of cornflour. 

So many typos in recipes. It is one cup flour to 1/2 cup corn flour in that recipe as it reads. Still a bit more corn starch than I usually see in recipes here. Those that bake often is it common to stock a pound or more of corn starch in your pantry? My container lasts forever. 

In two of Melisa Clark's shortbread recipes she says that as long as you follow the basic one cup flour to one cup butter you're good to go. Then her listed ingredients in two recipes call for 2 cups flour, one cup butter. No corn starch. But corn starch is so neutral it might let the butter shine I suppose. 

I do stand corrected with a bow to the queen if I'm way off mark. I have a home in Canada that did confuse me at first. In my small village market they only have course cornmeal that needed soaking overnight. (used my spice grinder then brought up a flour mill in my luggage eventually). I used Bird's custard for my sweet tooth visiting FIL and at the time had no idea 'corn four' listed on the label is actually corn starch. Makes sense. 

My baking leans heavily to the savory side. Crackers, flatbreads, sweet potato/kale chips, dark chocolate, etc. Why this interests me. Shortbread falls in the middle. Caloric but sick sweet. 

Annie_H

Annie_H

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

In two of Melisa Clark's shortbread recipes she says that as long as you follow the basic one cup flour to one cup butter you're good to go. Then her listed ingredients I two recipes call for 2 cups flour, one cup butter. No corn starch. But corn starch is so neutral it might let the butter shine I suppose. 

My baking leans heavily to the savory side. Crackers, flatbreads, sweet potato/kale chips, dark chocolate, etc. Why this interests me. Shortbread falls in the middle. Caloric but sick sweet.