• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Truffle Hunters

TicTac

I detest social media and believe it to be one of the bane's of our society.  That being said, every now and then a proverbial diamond from said rough appears.

How I did not know about this documentary before, is beyond me (hangs head in shame)!

I searched but could not find anything on these boards...so I wanted to share.  I am half way though; the cinematography is stunning, characters so enjoyable and ultimately it just takes one away to another world.

Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, heidih said:

Reminds me of the great descriptions of the truffle hunters in Peter Mayle's books about his life in Provence.  Quite a tribe.

Some really interesting characters in this doc.

Highly enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

I saw a feature film related to this topic on a plane back in November:  "Pig".  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/16/dining/pig-movie-nicolas-cage.html

It was one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen.  And I like 'em weird. 

To be sure:  it was beautiful; but the narrative was improbable in a manner that, for me, did not cohere.  I kept thinking something crucial had been edited out.  

1 hour ago, SLB said:

I saw a feature film related to this topic on a plane back in November:  "Pig".  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/16/dining/pig-movie-nicolas-cage.html

It was one of the weirdest movies I have ever seen.  And I like 'em weird. 

To be sure:  it was beautiful; but the narrative was improbable in a manner that, for me, did not cohere.  I kept thinking something crucial had been edited out.  

As I recall that was generally reviewed as a fine performance by Nicholas Cage but storyline not so much