• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kool-Aid

jaybee

Kool-Aid has distinguishable flavors? Life is full of surprises, you'll be telling us next that Jell-O has different flavors!

That's like my reaction when I learned that wine came in colors.

My favorite KA is the Cabernet Sauvignin flavor, but the Merlot runs a close second. There is too much oak in the Zin Kool Ade for my taste.

And how do you like to prepare it?  Any secret recipes?

My favorite is the 'red' flavor. And as far as secret recipes -- learned this one from my mom. Follow the directions on flavor packet (add water) -- but here's the trick -- pour the last little bit of water directly into the flavor packet and then dump into the pitcher, prior to refrigeration. It gives that little extra burst of red flavor.

--m.

How is the sugar free Kool-Aid?

I'm particularly enjoying the fun facts on the site, for example:

"If all the envelopes of KOOL-AID® sold in a year were laid end-to-end, they would stretch 58,524 miles, which would wrap around the Earth's equator twice - or between Los Angeles and New York more than 20 times!"

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I can't read about Kool-Aid without recording my Kool-Aid Coupon Triumph of the Decade. Woo woo! I personally don't drink Kool-Aid and don't approve of it. I might make it for my kids a couple times a year because THEY like it - but I teach Sunday School and all those sweet little yammers love the vile stuff. Anyway, I found Kool-Aid (only the pink lemonade flavor) for 10 cents a pack, but at the end of the aisle were coupons for $1 off the purchase of 10 packs. My lightning-fast mathematical brain figured out that meant the Kool-Aid was free. I "bought" about 6 boxes of the stuff - I think that's about 450 packs of Kool-Aid. I gave a lot away and I STILL have Kool-Aid, two years later. The kids at Sunday School are sick of pink lemonade flavored Kool-Aid, but I just drop in a bit of food coloring to make it (ACK!) blue and they swear it tastes better.

When I lived in the East Village, I had friends who would use Kool Aid to dye their hair. (Take a packet of your favorite color/flavor KA, and sprinkle all over your hair once you've rubbed mousse and gel into it.)

This was during the early 90s EV punk scene. I've outgrown that phase now.

:blink:

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Berry Blue. Or Red. My last roommate ALWAYS had a pitcher of Kool Aid in our refrigerator. He was partial to the lemonade flavor, but would usually bow to me and mix the Red. I have a large plastic pitcher that is stained a lovely shade of Berry Blue-Red.

In school some of the girls used to mix multliple packets of the Kool Aid powder with sugar, carry it around in a plastic baggie, and lick it off their fingers. The girls who were stained with Kool Aid powder were the "in" crowd. Or they'd cut a little hole in the corner of the baggie and dribble it directly into their mouths.

You wouldn't have caught me dead doing that.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I like Peoples Temple Guyana Brown Cooler.

EDIT: Sorry folks, stupid topic deserves a stupid answer.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host