• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Flavored Products Taste Test

liuzhou

‘It looks like fresh sewage!’: We taste test Christmas dinner flavoured foods – from soup and crisps to sarnies

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/nov/29/it-looks-like-fresh-sewage-we-taste-test-christmas-dinner-flavoured-foods-from-soup-and-crisps-to-sarnies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Not a single one of the items tested calls out to me!   Surely  someone had tongue in cheek when they declared turkey gyozas to be the winner. Thank you for an amusing read.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There is nothing remotely Japanese about these gyoza.

Gyoza Filling: Shredded Cabbage, Bacon (15%) (Pork, Salt, Dextrose, Spice Extracts, Stabiliser: Sodium Citrate; Antioxidants: Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Ascorbate; Glucose Syrup, Preservative: Sodium Nitrite), Pork Shoulder, Turkey (7%), Cranberry (6%) (Dried Cranberry, Sugar, Sunflower Oil), Pork Fat, Onion, Spring Onion, Soy Sauce (Water, Soya Beans, Wheat, Salt), Textured Soya Protein, Apple Puree (Apple, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid), Tofu (Soya Beans, Water), Garlic, Sesame Oil, Sugar, Natural Flavouring, Yeast Extract, Water, Sage, Salt, Smoked Dextrose Powder, Black Pepper, Ginger Powder, Gyoza Skin: Wheat Flour, Water, Tapioca Starch, Wheat Gluten, Rapeseed Oil, Salt

I'm not necessarily running out to purchase these, but, I think one can clearly see from the ingredients that it's fusion, rather than just thanksgiving dishes combined in a skin.

I would have to pass on every single one of these. Fortunately I'm not apt to see any of them in Costa Rica. Costa Rica has a big sweet tooth and they go in big for sweet items at Christmas time which is probably why we have more dentists here than lawyers. One year 1 of the items was ice cream with big chunks of hard Christmas candy which first brought on the lawyers and then the dentists. They slap Christmas labels on everything from milk to toilet paper and it makes it interesting when you are still seeing Christmas labels in July.